May 2012

Discussion forum for sightings.
Nigel Kiteley

Re: May 2012

Post by Nigel Kiteley »

I drove down to Rewell Wood near Arundel yesterday with my good friend Ray Seagrove in the hope of seeing Pearl Bordered Fritillaries. We set of on the 130 mile drive amidst thick cloud which hadn't really cleared when we arrived at our destination around 9.30am. However we are always optimistic and armed with some top information from Neil aka Sussex Kipper we soon found the ideal spot. Whilst waiting for the sun to appear Ray found a Grizzled Skipper resting on a seed head.
Grizzled Skipper3.jpg
Just after lunchtime the sun appeared for all of 10 minutes, but that was all it needed for the PBF's to get airborne and begin feeding. We saw six in total and the cool conditions meant that they were quite easy to photograph. Thanks for the info Neil, we may not have seen many PBF's but we had a great day.
PBF.jpg
RobS

Post by RobS »

stunning photos nigel.well worth the long trip.hopefully i will see some at rewell wood on saturday

cheers
rob
Under canvas. Just the wild woods for company.
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

With the weather once again looking very poor for butterflies I decided to visit a part of the Downs near Brighton looking for early spider orchids. With a chill breeze which meant a coat was needed I was very pleasantly surprised to find in a sheltered corner my first Small Heath and Wall Brown of the year as well as a couple of very smart Dingy Skippers. As well as the orchids, 2 Whinchats and a Spotted Flycatcher were also seen. A much more successful morning than I was expecting!!
Attachments
Early Spider Orchid
Early Spider Orchid
Wall Brown
Wall Brown
Dingy Skipper
Dingy Skipper
Debbie

Post by Debbie »

Despite the cloud and the cold weather. Off I went today to Granville Country Park in Shropshire. This nature reserve has the Dingy Skipper, Green Hairstreaks and blues too. The sun did come out occasionly and it remained cold, but no butterflies :(
On Sunday whilst travelling I saw two small tortoise shells and I orange tip.

Debbie
Last edited by Debbie on Mon May 07, 2012 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
David M

Post by David M »

From inside the house this morning, you could have been forgiven for believing it was a perfect butterflying day. Sadly however, stepping outside forced an abrupt change of mindset, as the temperature was no more than 10c.

The absence of wind persuaded me to visit Ewyas Harold Common, near Hereford, an excellent site for Pearl Bordered Fritillaries.

I headed straight for the hotspot I found last year, and sure enough there were two to be seen, though both were insufficiently warm to fly properly, and instead basked open-winged in the hope that they could generate enough warmth for take-off.

I only saw 5 PBFs in total, but all looked very fresh so one would hope numbers will swell if we can get back to normal May temperatures sometime soon.

Other butterflies seen were 3 Peacocks and a single male Orange Tip. Again, no Large, Small or Green Veined Whites.
web4160

Post by web4160 »

DSC02078_edited-2.jpg
Finally some sunshine and some butterflies. Visited Walton Common in North Somerset. Half a dozen each of Grizzled and Dingy Skippers, 3 Brimstone, 2 Green Hairstreaks, 2 Orange Tips, a Speckled Wood and a Holy Blue.
Attachments
DSC02108_edited-2.jpg
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Further to David M's visit and above comments regarding Ewyas Harold Common in Herefordshire, I also popped up on Saturday morning to see what was doing at this premier Pearl-bordered Fritillary site, sadly I left the sun behind me, it was overcast and the car thermometer read 5.5C at 9.15am on arrival, I knew it was going to be a tough task locating any butterflies in such poor weather and to add to my woes large areas of the common were either waterlogged or the paths were a muddy mess that made getting about a little difficult. Within the hour the sun (that round yellow thingmebob in the sky :roll: ) made a halfhearted appearance, and then a brief orangy flash marked the appearance of the sought after species, within moments though a keen breeze sent our little friend into close-up mode and I knew that finding any more without the benefit of any sunshine was going to be almost impossible in and on the dead bracken that they seem to favour for shelter out of the elements. There was just one other found after lunch but not another butterfly of any species was seen during the entire day - that takes some believing in such a great location in May, does'nt it :shock:

Some wonderful Early Purple Orchid on show but the Bluebells were decidely thin on the ground, they are a tad like me they don't like getting their feet wet :lol: I took a selection of shots using the Panasonic Lumix FZ150 Bridge Camera, Panasonic Lumix G2 Micro four/thirds and a Canon Powershot S95, I left my Nikon DSLR and Macro 105mm at home, which took a lot of discipline. I'm set on seeing what type of quality these 'easy travel' cameras are capable of this spring and summer, I've seen and heard many good things about them, the big question is can they deliver for a guy with camera shake hands that are positively international class!!!

Bill :D
Attachments
Closed wing shot taken with the Panasonic Lumix FZ150.
Closed wing shot taken with the Panasonic Lumix FZ150.
The Lumix G2 captures the P-b F's brackeny world, a tough place to find the species when their down.
The Lumix G2 captures the P-b F's brackeny world, a tough place to find the species when their down.
Early Purple Orchid taken with the Panasonic Lumix G2 added a touch of spring colour to the scene.
Early Purple Orchid taken with the Panasonic Lumix G2 added a touch of spring colour to the scene.
Canon S95 and a bit of the P-b F's habitat backdrop.
Canon S95 and a bit of the P-b F's habitat backdrop.
Taken with Canon Powershot S95 during a very brief sunny spell.
Taken with Canon Powershot S95 during a very brief sunny spell.
Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
Wildmoreway

Post by Wildmoreway »

Just spotted this interesting shot on Flickr, don't know where was taken.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76551166@N ... otostream/
marmari

Post by marmari »

Symtoms a bit similar to this Peacock.
Suggested to me that it had an encounter with contents of the shed where it was hibernating.
David M

Post by David M »

Perhaps it was hibernating upside down from the shed roof and, during the course of the winter, moisture seeped in, contaminated by small quantities of wood preserver, which served to blacken the outer edges of the wings over time.
legless2007

Post by legless2007 »

Never have I been as excited to see a Small White as I was yesterday, I chased it around the local park much to the amusement of passers by, it was after all just a white butterfly, but after 3 'dry' weeks he was the most beautiful butterfly in the world to me!

060512-13 by legless2007, on Flickr

Jo
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Jo,

Nice photo.
I know what you mean about getting excited to see a white, so far this year I have seen just two, one Small and one Green Veined, both in my back garden.

Cheers,

Neil F.
Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Some Sunshine at last! I saw two Small Whites and a single Orange Tip on my walk with the dog and then duly encouraged, I went up to Wye Downs Nature Reserve and just before more rain blew in I found this friendly Dingy Skipper :
P1010077.JPG
I'd so wished to go PBF hunting at Abbot's Wood in East Sussex this Holiday Weekend but the weather put me off: my fingers are crossed for next weekend.
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

I'm currently ensconced in Western Cornwall. On 4th May had a Peacock and Small White in woodland near St Kew. On 5th I married Sami, so didn't really do much butterflying! On 6th the same site had Speckled Wood, a Small White and 3 Large Whites (the latter chasing up a quarry face before one flew off allowing the remaining pair to copulate).

Temperatures here aren't too great, but it isn't cold. Hoping for more sightings soon. Lifers for me the past few days include Steodata nobilis (scary looking spider), the weird inland Lawn Shrimp Arcitalitrus dorrieni, Tunbridge Filmy Fern and Opposite-leaved Golden Saxifrage.

Cheers,

Gibster.
Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
David M

Post by David M »

Gibster wrote:...On 5th I married Sami, so didn't really do much butterflying!
LOL! :D Strange thing is, I'm sure she'd have forgiven you even if you had!
David M

Post by David M »

Willrow wrote:Further to David M's visit and above comments regarding Ewyas Harold Common in Herefordshire, I also popped up on Saturday morning to see what was doing at this premier Pearl-bordered Fritillary site, sadly I left the sun behind me, it was overcast and the car thermometer read 5.5C at 9.15am on arrival, I knew it was going to be a tough task locating any butterflies in such poor weather and to add to my woes large areas of the common were either waterlogged or the paths were a muddy mess that made getting about a little difficult.
I'm amazed you found any at all, Bill, given those temperatures.

Just out of interest, have you ever seen Wood Whites and Green Hairstreaks at this site?
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

After the interminable cloud and rain of the last few days I spotted that the sky started to brighten about two o'clock so quickly gathered some waterproofs and headed up the A3 to my local Duke of butgundy site at Buser Hill.
The sun actually broke through a few times but it was really cold and windy - I cannot remember going butterfly watching in May with jumper, bodywarmer, fleece and waterproofs on! Needless to say I was not hopeful but it beat staying indoors.
As I walked up the track I stopped to talk to a dogwalker and two orange tips emerged to do battle - perhaps there was hope - these were the first butterflies I have seen in May having seen fourteen species during March and April.
I entered the valley itself and the sun was very sproadic and now the wind was gusting with a vengence! I quickly spotted a Grizzled Skipper nectaring on some cowslips but it was a full hour and a half before I saw another butterfly. During the interlude I was entertained by a vixen who confidently strolled across the hillsope above and sat down to watch me - it was a bit unnerving I couldn't work out who was more interested in whom :? Eventually during a longer period of sun - at least ten minutes :shock: I spotted a Duke and watched for a good period as it soaked up the scarce rays. No more was forthcoming so I wandered back down the waterlogged track as the clouds and rain built yet again. Oh well at least I was able to get out and see something as I was beginning to despair :D Mark
Attachments
dob.JPG
dob.JPG (59.12 KiB) Viewed 753 times
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Single Small White at Laverstock and male Orange-tip in my garden today, but I'm still stuffed for butterflies after yesterdays feast

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wildmoreway

Post by Wildmoreway »

Sunday the 6th I paid a visit to Livermead Meadows near Torquay, a single Peacock and two Orange Tips (Male & Female) female was receptive but obviously did not come up to his standards so he flew off.
Attachments
Male & Female Orange Tip Butterflies.JPG
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

I believe that the upturned abdomen of the female is butterfly-speak for "get lost" :)

Mike

Return to “Sightings”