May 2012

Discussion forum for sightings.
David M

May 2012

Post by David M »

The countdown to this May is almost like the countdown to your average New Year....i.e. it can't come soon enough, everyone breathes a big sigh of relief and most people dream that things will become better in an almost illogical, cathartic way.

I sincerely hope this is the case. As everyone knows, April has been atrocious (the wettest in 100 years according to the BBC). Given the boost to plant life provided by the deluge of rain, one thing we won't be able to complain about is potentially dessicated crops - indeed, if you're a caterpillar and the weather suddenly warms up, one could be tempted to say "you've never had it so good"!!

It's a while since we've had a glorious May, and the first few days aren't forecast to be anything particularly special; however, 31 days is a long time and who knows what will happen between now and June.

Good luck, everyone.
Pauline

Re: May 2012

Post by Pauline »

P1030035a.JPG
P1030035a.JPG (17.25 KiB) Viewed 1983 times
P1030028a.JPG
These shots are just for Rob S and Chris - now I've shown you mine will you show me yours? :lol:
marmari

Post by marmari »

Excellent capture of a pair of truly beautiful butterflies,Pauline
Wish they could be re-found on the Isle of Wight.
Two male Common Blues at Wheelers Bay,Ventnor today.
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

sorry pauline, i can't compete with those shots,seriously, love the composition of the top one and fantastic detail in the 2nd mine were blurry. grateful to you for pointing them out too.

Chris
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you Marmari and Chris for your kind comments. Chris, it was good to meet you and Rob yesterday, pity I had to leave so soon.
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

There I was sunbathing
There I was sunbathing
When along came this chap
When along came this chap
Seemed a good way of spending a sunny afternoon
Seemed a good way of spending a sunny afternoon
marmari

Post by marmari »

This summery weather today was also enjoyed by these Dingy Skippers on the Isle of Wight.
David M

Post by David M »

Excellent image, Marmari. I don't recall ever seeing Dingies mating before.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Holly Blue and Orange-tip male in the quad at work today and Orange-tip male and Small White on the way home might have to do another mad dash tomorrow afternoon to try and make the most of any sun before it disappears for another fortnight :roll:

Have s goodun

Wurzel
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

That's an amazing shot of the Dingies Marmari - you have made me quite envious! Never even seen that let alone get such a great shot.
marmari

Post by marmari »

Thanks Pauline.
Andy Butler who lives at Wheelers Bay,Ventnor, reports a Painted Lady there on 1st May.
RobS

Post by RobS »

Especially for Pauline!! it was nice to meet you too.And thanks for the info on these beauties.For a while it felt a bit voyeuristic :D
Attachments
Mating Dukes rs.jpg
Last edited by RobS on Wed May 02, 2012 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Under canvas. Just the wild woods for company.
David M

Post by David M »

Getting out this afternoon was an almost cathartic experience given the level of frustration experienced lately. I popped down to Merthyr Mawr near Porthcawl to have a wander round the dunes and to hopefully track down a few Grizzled Skippers.

Although it was 15c with very light winds, there was practically nothing flying. I did manage to find 5 Grizzled Skippers, but the only other butterflies I saw were 4 Orange Tips (all male) and 2 Brimstones (male and a female).

One thing I did notice was a peculiarly marked species of duck. Can anyone enlighten me as to the species?

I stopped off at Kenfig, which is on my way back from Merthyr Mawr, and saw only two butterflies, although one was a Common Blue, which is a species I wasn't expecting to see. There were no Wall Browns nor Small Blues, both of which are normally quite common here. Worse still, I didn't see a single Large, Small or Green Veined White. These three have really taken a 'hit' from this atrocious spell of weather. Sad to see (or not to, as the case was).
Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi David,

It's a Shelduck, a female from what I can see.

Kind regards. Mark
David M

Post by David M »

Mark Colvin wrote:Hi David,

It's a Shelduck, a female from what I can see.

Kind regards. Mark
Thanks, Mark.
John Chapple

Post by John Chapple »

Please could someone tell me where I can go to see Duke of Burgundy Frits at the moment. Somewhere nearish to Cornwall if poss......Thanks John C
David M

Post by David M »

John Chapple wrote:Please could someone tell me where I can go to see Duke of Burgundy Frits at the moment. Somewhere nearish to Cornwall if poss......Thanks John C
Looking at the interactive map, it would appear Buckland Wood near Taunton is nearest to Cornwall.

http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/distribu ... ies=lucina
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

15.5C this afternoon and the sun was shining 8) in mixed woodland glades in the Brecon Beacons; 4 male Orange-tip, 2 Green-veined White, Speckled Wood and a single rather dowdy weathered :? Small Tortoiseshell. The home garden provided the first Speckled Wood of the year, all in all quite a refreshing experience, but I'm trying hard to not get too excited because there's yet more wet weather warnings for South Wales for the next few days :roll:

Bill :D
Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

If birds are allowed here are 4 Tawny chicks just out of the woodwork, mother Tawny was seeing off a crow when I spotted these above my head.
IMG_4899-001.jpg
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

JohnR wrote:If birds are allowed here are 4 Tawny chicks just out of the woodwork, mother Tawny was seeing off a crow when I spotted these above my head.
What a charming photo - good work, John!

Best wishes,

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.

Return to “Sightings”