essex buzzard

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
essexbuzzard

Re: essex buzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Thanks Andrew,I was pleased with the Torts as well, as I know some have been struggling with them.

Thanks Neil, yes, thank goodness I had the day off!

Thanks Wurzel, you’re right, a bit more sunshine wouldn’t go amiss!

Hi Dave, this wasn’t a warm day-about 11C at peak- which might have mad them more approachable. Regardless, I’m just pleased to get things going! :D
David M

Post by David M »

essexbuzzard wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:18 pmAND WE ARE OFF!
We are indeed, Mark, and thank God!

That was a nice haul you had, although given the deprivation we've all suffered it was certainly well earned.

With 'lockdown' looming, we may have to post sightings 'incognito' very soon. :(
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

That’s what I fear, David. Having been mostly stuck at home for six months, due to the dreadful weather, that’s the last thing we need, just as things get interesting.

Today was sunny, but a cold east wind was blowing. In sheltered west-facing aspects, a few butterflies were found, including a couple more Small Tortoiseshell. But it was the bee-flies that got my attention today. Yesterday there was only one, but today the same place had several, suggesting an overnight emergence. I love to see them, a true sign of spring.
Attachments
A1A9A32D-30B7-4075-BD7C-93EBD8D7C69D.jpeg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking Beefly Essex :D
Well it happened, three weeks of staying in - just as things were kicking off nicely :? - but I reckon you might be able to see a few butterflies during the one exercise trip per day :? ...Stay safe.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Absolutely right, Wurzel. At least I have some countryside on my doorstep, where I can escape to. Not everyone is so fortunate. But, later in spring, I’m going to need to travel to see species of butterflies, orchids etc and, if I’m prevented from doing so, I’m going to struggle with that...

ATB to you and all your family.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Well, I think we could all do with a bit of cheering up!

On my local rounds yesterday, I was hoping photograph my first Brimstone. They are not that common where I live, due to a shortage of buckthorn (though I have planted a few). But I had seen a couple at the weekend, and some of the woodland rides seem quite reliable. Sure enough, we found a male, which eventually dropped down.
6E12A358-0CA6-4A88-818E-22AE7783D01C.jpeg
Peacocks, Commas and Small Tortoiseshell were found as well, but this Red Admiral was a slight surprise, my first of 2020. It was there again this morning.
83C4ABAB-B0A7-4E8D-9DD8-C21D497E792A.jpeg
Be safe, everyone.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Love the Brimstone essex, we've a shortage of them round here as well, not enough wood land near me, I'll have to try HLB my local haunt, loads of Peacocks and Torts today but no Brimstones yet. Goldie :D
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Good luck with your Brimstone hunting, a couple more bright days left!

Visited Stour Wood today. Although it’s not too far, and is in Essex, it does involve driving which is probably against the rules, so it is likely to be the furthest I will go for a while. The woods main attraction in early spring is it’s wonderful carpet of wood anemones, a sight to behold! They usually flower in early April, so are a few days early this year.
F90AB5B0-643F-4E7F-BC64-6BB92D1489D1.jpeg
C0895184-1133-4250-A0BD-2C90AB6F4229.jpeg
B0A95E9B-CA30-448E-ABF9-4B9234AD676D.jpeg
Gorse also grows nearby. I usually see it in Cornwall, but there’s no chance of me getting down there at the moment. But it grows in Essex, too, especially in areas where the soil is a bit drier. On a spring day like this, with strong sunshine, the scent is glorious!
DE4BA6FB-1C2D-43A4-9459-16D3E0FBBAE8.jpeg
Janet Turnbull

Post by Janet Turnbull »

The woods are full of wood anemones here too EB - spring seems to have come earlier! That's a glorious carpet of them.
Janet
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

The local butterflies were enjoying the blackthorn blossom today. Only West facing bushes were suitable, as there was a cold wind blowing from the east.
679C85AC-FA69-4818-9A55-706323530D87.jpeg
70E5F7CF-268E-417A-BB65-76528C2D9065.jpeg
A465F0E3-3B22-4F47-99DA-96665AAD790C.jpeg
The most surprising thing today was the staggering numbers of bee-flies. Walking round the south and west edge of a wood, I must have seen a hundred.
EC51F26D-00E9-4438-AB32-792E75B94214.jpeg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

It does seem to be a good year for Bee-flies Essex :D Lovely set of shots and you were right - that Brimstone was a cheery sight :D Keep up the good work with the exercise :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

I agree - I have even seen a Bee Fly in my garden yesterday and I have never done that before.

Also love the pic of woodland carpeted by anemones.
Ernie F
David M

Post by David M »

Beautiful floral scenes, Mark. Those carpets of wood anemones are a sight to behold. The bluebells are starting to unfurl round me so it won't be long before there'll be carpets of those too! Amazing to think that as a kid these were supposed to be May flowers.

Well done with the Red Admiral too. Not many seen so far which is surprising given how mild the winter was.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Beautiful images of the wood anenomes Mark, I particularly like the first one of the carpet amongst the trees.

I usually get a few bee flies in my garden but curiously haven't yet seen any this year despite being home and having the chance to more time in it during the daytime.

Cheers,

Neil.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Thanks Janet, Wurzel, Ernie, David and Neil.

It’s seems amazing now, I only saw my first butterfly last week. Now, they are everywhere! It hasn’t been particularly warm in east Anglia this week , but 12 hours sunshine per day certainly helps!

Considering the mild, wet winter, I’m surprised how many Commas, Peacock and Small Tortoiseshell have survived-they are having an excellent start to the year.

There was one last day of sunshine today. The Tortoiseshells were making the most of it. They would feed on blackthorn blossom for a few minutes, then come to ground and press flat, to warm up for a while, then head back up to the blossom.

Kites and buzzards were much in evidence. Common enough nowadays, but always a pleasure. A police helicopter was also about...
Attachments
EB5431D1-6024-4F55-9950-46D5CFE899CE.jpeg
19C0B088-1271-436A-A675-AFB0F6E0559E.jpeg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Good to see the Small Torts having a good year for once - long may it continue :D Lovely shots too :D and interesting that you saw that behaviour - I witnessed the same thing during my exercise today :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

Envious of the numbers of Tortoiseshells you've been seeing, Mark - and also that Red Admiral. :mrgreen: It seems remakably well-preserved if you ignore the tear on one forewing. :) I've yet to see one, and I suspect none have made it through as otherwise one would have popped up by now.

Cheers,

Dave
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Thanks Wurzel, yes I’m pleased to have so many Small Tortoiseshell at the moment. As you say, long may it continue.

Thanks Dave, yes I was a little surprised to see the Red Admiral. For a species which doesn’t truly hibernate, surviving six months of wind and rain can’t have been easy! Provided it was not an early migrant, that is.

Nothing for me today, it seems the only sunshine was to the south of London.
David M

Post by David M »

Yes, good to see so many adult hibernators on the wing round your way, Mark, particularly Small Tortoiseshells.

I can only conclude that few have perished from cold over the last winter. Mild and damp brings its own dangers, but perhaps fewer than an Arctic snap like we saw in March 2018 when these insects had already become active following their natural diapause only to be struck by conditions more reminiscent of mid-winter.
Old Wolf

Post by Old Wolf »

Hello Essex, lovely picture of the carpeted woodland at Stour Wood. Makes me want to get out to my local woods to see if they are the same. Unfortunately I have to devote my one exercise trip to my dogs and unless I can coax them up the Sand Hills (local wood) then I may not get a chance to see.

I had a Bee-Fly in my garden the other day and had no idea what it was so your diary has taught me something today. Thanks :D
Old Wolf.

Return to “Personal Diaries”