essex buzzard

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Goldie M

Re: essex buzzard

Post by Goldie M »

That Adonis is fantastic essex :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I hope I see one this year :D Goldie :D
David M

Post by David M »

Nice review, Mark. You've seen some good stuff in 2019, topped off by Long Tailed Blue.

It's your bluebell carpet image that's most evocative, however. Thankfully, it won't be long before we can all walk amongst them again. :)
trevor

Post by trevor »

Good to see your Long Tailed Blue, Mark.
Yes, the hill always seemed to be a windy place, but it did come up trumps a couple of times.
As for the season end last year, I think we all got rather used to October/November butterfly sightings.

Have a great 2020 season,
Trevor.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I know the LTB has the wow factor of being a rare vagrant but I can't help admiring the Adonis shot more :D :mrgreen: It's not sour grapes I swear :wink: :lol: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

I am always jealous of LTB photos being stuck up here in the midlands having usually used all my holiday by that time of year but that Adonis Blue from Osmington is a cracker.

I also love those autumn colours in Germany, very nice!

Cheers,

Neil.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Spring is here! Meteorologists spring at least. The sun is now strong enough that, given a bit of shelter from the wind, butterflies will appear almost regardless of temperatures. It seems amazing that, this time last year, I had seen all the hibernators. Here, a year later, I’m still waiting for my first butterfly sighting.

Some seemed pleased to have to have an extra day in February this year. Personally, I was pleased to see the back of the month, and any extension was the last thing I wanted.

It is certainly not butterfly weather at the moment, so today was spent on the Essex coast, where the dark-bellied Brent geese are the stars of the show. These birds breed in arctic Russia, but will remain here a while yet, some lingering until late April. Other forms of Brent spend winter in Ireland and North America.
7C10F6D2-E144-45C6-AB53-3AE8F4FD2D7A.jpeg
318E59A8-0588-404B-BE82-9E9F56968C20.jpeg
Also common on the coast, are avocets. There has been a big increase in their numbers in recent years.
7DDA2240-5B78-4536-A69F-0C11EA04D8BA.jpeg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great shots of the Brents and Avocets Essex :D I do struggle to get my head round seeing Redwings and butterflies on the same trip out which is a possibility a this time of year :? Hope you get onto some butterflies soon I reckon it could to be one of those starts to the season when there is precious little activity and then there comes a day and everything suddenly bursts forth :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

essexbuzzard wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:37 pm Spring is here! Meteorologists spring at least. The sun is now strong enough that, given a bit of shelter from the wind, butterflies will appear almost regardless of temperatures.
This year, shelter from the wind is the primary factor, Mark. I agree that temperatures and core sunlight hours are now conducive to butterflies taking to the wing, but strong winds will largely prevent them from doing so, which unfortunately is what's preventing things from kicking off in my area. :(

Nice to see those avocets. Lovely, smart wading birds.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Thanks guys. I am still waiting for my first butterfly sighting, it should come next week. So it’s time to head further afield, with a trip to Newent in Gloucestershire. Here the woods are carpeted with daffodils in March. These are true wild, native daffodils, and can be found at other places dotted around the country. I have seen them in Cornwall, and they also grow in Devon and, more famously, beside Ullswater in the Lake District, where they inspired Wordsworth. In Gloucestershire, they grow not only in woods, but also on banks, road verges and old orchards.
91F76522-E580-413B-B0C8-0DDA010281F4.jpeg
Here, they have the company of the first wood anemones.
08B50E0D-39B3-4D31-AC1E-087B34F4B279.jpeg
trevor

Post by trevor »

Great to see those wild Daffodils en masse, Mark, a sure sign of Spring.
I rescued some vulnerable bulbs some years ago, and they have now seeded around the garden.
They were once widespread here in Sussex and can still be found in a few places.

Looking forward to ' kick off ' !.

All the best,
Trevor.
David M

Post by David M »

What a fabulous carpet of colour, Mark. Yes, flora wise things are ahead of normal but until we get some sustained sunshine, the butterflies will remain 'tucked up'. Like you, I'm expecting movement next week if the brighter forecast is accurate.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

It surprises me, but vegetation does seem a few days ahead of even last year. This is despite the fact there has been not a single day of warm weather so far. Who can forget the wonderful spell of warm, sunny weather in February last year?

Nature is full of surprises!

I took these pictures in Harlow before work this morning.
Attachments
B434E956-0677-470E-8A82-784B5BF9F360.jpeg
03C3FCAA-0035-43E3-A512-8B4EF8BCE7F6.jpeg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Hopefully the sunny days that have been forecast for this week will appear Essex, fingers crossed :? Mind you I can't bring myself to watch the weather/check any apps just in case it's changed again :roll: :wink: That lovely floral display screams Spring :D 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

AND WE ARE OFF!

This weeks much forecast sunshine has gradually been down graded, until by yesterday they said it would last just one day. Being off, I kept the day clear. So imagine my distraught when I woke to grey skies, yet again!

This lasted all morning but, lunchtime, the sun at last arrived. The buzzards were up, my first chiffchaff was singing, and I found a Peacock. Eventually, three were seen.
AC6549A2-9E29-4E52-BA23-B55539F80CCD.jpeg
Further on, a Comma was found, again the first of three.
218A5C6D-07F2-4839-9092-1D1E5E83D985.jpeg
A south facing hedge, on the edge of a Common, is a good spring location for Small Tortoiseshell. Sure enough, I soon found my first of the year.
64894F34-8C65-4BDB-A583-51425F9C6400.jpeg
The next one was clearly a male, as it was flying up at passing bees.
F51033AD-5018-42E3-9E46-0138934A764F.jpeg
After a flyby, my last of the day was on the edge of a wood. I also saw my first bee-fly here. It just shows what even half a day of sunshine can do!
09C8351F-2A69-491D-885D-C271427367D2.jpeg
trevor

Post by trevor »

Not a bad haul there, Mark. A mrgreen for the Small torts, I doubt I will see many around here. :mrgreen:
I noticed that the latest weather forecast was for more cloud than they originally said.

Never mind, things have started to move at last!
Trevor.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Thanks Trevor.

I was thinking of you while looking for my Torts, as I know you have been struggling to find them down there.

This was not a vintage day, but it is a start.
Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Very nice Mark, especially the Torts. :D
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

A nice haul there to start you off Mark, great stuff :D

Cheers,

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A cracking start Essex - bagging three in one day! Good to see 'multiples' of the Small Torts as well :D We could do with a nice run of good weather now...just before we get locked down :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

Clearly just ust the day those butterflies needed to get up and go, Mark. Nice Tortoiseshells - the ones I've seen have been too flighty as yet for me to get that close to. :)

Cheers,

Dave

Return to “Personal Diaries”