millerd

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
millerd

Re: millerd

Post by millerd »

Thank you all - yes, the Hollies are performing nicely at the moment. Any hint of sunshine and they are up and about.

Good to hear the Pearls are out at Bentley, Wurzel. I do hope to fit a trip in soon, but I did see one or two yesterday down at Rewell Wood, as you'll see soon. :wink: :)

Likewise High & Over, Trevor. I did manage a Wall or two at Mill Hill yesterday, but it's not anywhere as good as H & O.

Tuesday 30th April. A good weather forecast which was spot-on accurate. I decided to do one of my multi-site tours to make the most of it before the icy blast forecast for the weekend. I also needed to catch up with a few species that are out that I haven't seen yet this year.

First stop was Denbies. It was still a bit chilly when I arrived, but despite this, along the hedge on the right of Steers Field I found half a dozen Small Coppers ranging from the brand new to quite world-weary.
SC3 300419.JPG
SC4 300419.JPG
SC2 300419.JPG
The Green Hairstreaks by the steps weren't up yet, but I did find a female down in the grass instead.
GH2 300419.JPG
As the temperature rose, I saw more and more - Dingy and Grizzled Skippers in very good numbers, and the first Small Heaths I've seen this year.
DS2 300419.JPG
SH1 300419.JPG
GS3 300419.JPG
GS5 300419.JPG
One of the Grizzlies looked a bit different, though they can be very variable.
GS2 300419.JPG
However, the highlight was a flash of blue - another first: a Common Blue.
CB1 300419.JPG
CB2 300419.JPG
Returning to the steps, I found the Hairstreaks had now appeared and were already chasing each other madly, but adopting their sun-catching posture in between.
GH4 300419.JPG
Next stop woud be Mill Hill in Sussex...

Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

30th April - part two: Mill Hill

As I wandered down from the car park via the mix of open areas and scrubby woodland at the top of the hillside, I became aware that there were Green Hairstreaks on many of the trees, and a few down on the grass as well. I counted at least ten on the way down to the main slopes.
GH1 300419.JPG
I saw one or two Peacocks, but nothing else until I was nearly at the bottom. In the usual sheltered area were a variety of species: the same mix as at Denbies in fact, even including a single new Common Blue.
SC2 300419.JPG
DS1 300419.JPG
However, there was one difference. Every so often a Wall, or sometimes two, would drift down from higher up the hillside and not quite settle, or more tantalisingly pause for a moment on a flower just beyond camera range. I made my way back up along the angled path and the steps, and then back along the top of the slope. I now began to see Brimstones, and a few more Walls: altogether I may well have seen a dozen in various spots. Eventually I got reasonably close to one, and then another posed uncharacteristically on some flowers with its wings open.
Wall1 300419.JPG
Wall2 300419.JPG
On the moth front, there were quite a few Cinnabars appearing.
cinnabar 300419.JPG
One more new species for the year (four so far today altogether), and one more place to visit. Onwards to Rewell Wood for the late afternoon.

Dave
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely set of Butterflies Dave, :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I think they're hiding a round here :D Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A cracking set of shots Dave - though I was expecting a few Pearls in there - yo're just toying with us now :wink: :lol: Isn't there an aberrant Grizzlie that is half way between ab. Taras and the 'type' - your one looks like a good candidate for this? :? Maybe see you in Bentley soon... :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

That's an interestingly marked Grizzled Skipper, Dave. Very unusual. Nice to see the first Small Heaths emerging too, as well as the Dingies. Two species that often get overlooked.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Thank you, Goldie - they seem to respond to the slightest bit of sunshine at the moment. :)

I wonder if that Grizzlie variation has a name, Wurzel? It does look a bit odd. Working out when to do a few future excursions - the weather for the next few days looks decidedly iffy, though. :(

Yes, David - both species, especially the Dingies, have lots of subtle variation in their patterning. And there's always the chance of that elusive Small Heath upperside shot... :)

30th April - part three: Rewell Wood.

This is a spot I hadn't visited for several years, and it seemed like a great way to finish off the day. I was right - all the descriptions Neil H has posted were completely accurate and more. The Pearls were out in greater numbers than I have ever seen them anywhere. I reached them not long before they began to settle down to nectar and bask a bit before going to roost, almost the ideal time. A fellow enthusuiast pointed out a freshly emerged female, and reckoned it was a matter of minutes before a male found and mated her.
PBF7 300419.JPG
He was right - it happened right in front of us with no formality at all.
PBF pair1 300419.JPG
There was a lot of other courtship behaviour which came to nothing as presumably the femaes had already been mated.
PBF pair2 300419.JPG
PBF pair4 300419.JPG
PBF pair5 300419.JPG
PBF pair6 300419.JPG
There was a good mix of older and newer butterflies, and in amongst them several somewhat aberrant individuals with heavier black markings.
PBF5 300419.JPG
PBF10 300419.JPG
Overall they were a simply glorious sight.
PBF1 300419.JPG
PBF3 300419.JPG
PBF4 300419.JPG
PBF8 300419.JPG
PBF9 300519.JPG
PBF11 300419.JPG
PBF2 300419.JPG
Dave
trevor

Post by trevor »

Very much enjoyed your Pearl fest, Dave. It was also a great idea to visit Rewell whilst in Sussex.
I have only made one fleeting visit to Rewell Wood, but with Abbots just down the road I get my
Pearl fix there. On my recent visit numbers were low compared to Rewell.

All the best,
Trevor.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic stuff Dave :D Really envious of the mating pair - still something that has eluded me :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I'm hoping that this weekend they'll still be out in cooler conditions and maybe just not as flighty :? Finger crossed...

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Beautiful sights Dave. :D
Wurzel wrote:I'm hoping that this weekend they'll still be out in cooler conditions and maybe just not as flighty :? Finger crossed.
You echo my sentiments as well Wurzel! :D

Cheers
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Terrific series of Pearl shots Dave ! For me your Grizzle is a bit of an " inbetweenee " Ab; Scabellata has the two lowest spots on the forewing joined together to form a line (which yours has ) but yours also has a much enlarged spot above it ! For me its as you say between the norm and Taras …………… so maybe AB; Intermedia . And also as you say ,they are very variable...…….Nice find !.
Regards Allan.W.
millerd

Post by millerd »

The Pearls are terrific, aren't they? :) It was well worth the detour on the way back to take in Rewell Wood. Though it's a bit of a trek from parking at Fairmile Bottom, with a short steep climb to start with, the scenery along the path through the bluebell woods is a delight in itself. It was just under half an hour's drive from Mill Hill to Fairmile Bottom, despite the crawl along the A27 around the back of Worthing. I think another go might be in order - I can see why it's actually a fair way for you though Trevor, and that with Abbots Wood within walking distance you can stay close to home. :) Thanks for the info on the Grizzlie, Allan - interesting... :)

I reckon they'll be flying at Bentley if the sun shines, Wurzel and Andrew - far more important than the actual air temperature. Down near the ground it'll be much warmer, so there should be a bit of basking going on! :)

Back on home turf on Wednesday 1st May, and it remained pretty warm, despite only very hazy sunshine. I thought I'd go over to Bedfont Lakes Country Park to see if Green Hairstreaks had appeared - one of the few colonies in Middlesex, and pretty reliable though in small numbers. The two sections of the Park lie to north and south of the Waterloo - Reading/Windsor railway line, with no connection between the two (except as the butterfly flutters, of course :) ). I started off at the quieter southern part, which has the railway to the north, an industrial estate on one side and the Feltham Young Offenders establishment on the other. It is not signposted, the entrance gate is easily overlooked and parking is by the roadside. However, once inside, it is a quiet and very pleasant location.

I spotted my first Green Hairstreak immediately inside the entrance (in fact the second gate you go through), down on the grass where there are trefoil plants growing.
GH1 010519.JPG
After that initial success, I had to walk to the path bordering the railway to find another, and it was a friendly Holly Blue that actually disturbed it.
GH2 010519.JPG
This pattern was repeated a bit further on on the far side of the lake, where another Holly Blue became involved in a tussle in the trees between two more Hairstreaks.
GH3 010519.JPG
Finally, returning nearly to the start, I found another three squabbling in the mixed shrubbery.
GH4 010519.JPG
GH5 010519.JPG
Seven is the highest total I have ever found here. Also seen: 8 Speckled Woods, a couple of Peacocks, and 9 of those helpful Holly Blues.
SpW1 010519.JPG
HB1 010519.JPG
HB2 010519.JPG
I drive round the relatively short distance to one of the car parks for the northern part of the Park. After an annoying interaction with some unrestrained dogs (another owner who seemed to think the bye-laws didn't apply to her), I soon found two more Green Hairstreaks along the path on the northern side of the railway.
GH7 010519.JPG
GH9 010519.JPG
I'm guessing the populations do move between the two bits of the park, the railway not representing a barrier to them. The sun had largely disappeared by this time, and aside from these two butterflies, one Holly Blue, four GVW and another couple of Peacocks were all I could find.

The closest Green Hairstreaks to home, and good to see them apparently doing well. They appear to be widely spread throughout this bit of habitat too, rather than concentrated in one spot.

Unexpectedly, the sun returned in the late afternoon, so I had to fit in a trip around my local patch too. A very good idea that turned out to be - amongst nearly 50 butterflies seen altogether were my first two Brown Argus of the year. I was pleasantly surprised, having seen none at either Denbies or Mill Hill the previous day. Only one presented itself for the camera - the other was smaller and shyer, with much smaller orange-red spots on the upperside.
BA1 010519.JPG
I also found another Small Copper (not the same one as a couple of days before)...
SC1 010519.JPG
...several Orange Tips...
OT1 010519.JPG
and one or two Holly Blues - well, 23 in fact... :)

Once again, a good day - always worth venturing out. :D

Dave
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

A fantastic selection of species in you recent trips Dave. I am extremely jealous of what you (and others) have seen this week while I have been stuck in work.

I know I shouldn't be wishing my life away but oh for the joys of early retirement, just a couple of years for me now when I plan to retire at 60.

Cheers,

Neil.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Your Grizzled Skippers I think is called Intermedia.

Good to see you made it to Rewel, where PBF numbers are still increasing daily!
millerd

Post by millerd »

Cheers, Neil - I know you shouldn't wish your life away until retirement, but it is very liberating when you get there. :)

Thank you for the confirmation on the Grizzlie ab, Mark. And everyone should visit Rewell if they have the chance - just walking through the woodland is a pleasure in itself, not to metion the spectacle of glowing golden butterflies all over the place. Brilliant. :)

Thursday 2nd May brought a bit of a change in the weather, cooler and cloudier, though a couple of sunnier spells made it worth going out onto my local patch. I followed the Brown Argus sightings of the 1st with another two today - a mating pair.
BA3 020519.JPG
BA4 020519.JPG
However, Holly Blues (17)...
HB3 020519.JPG
HB4 020519.JPG
HB7 020519.JPG
...and Orange Tips (10)
OT1 020519.JPG
OT3 020519.JPG
still predominated, and there were now three Small Coppers seen.
SC2 020519.JPG
SC8 020519.JPG
There was also another first for the year here - a single new Small Heath.
SH1 020519.JPG
Other sightings: GVW (5)
GVW2 020519.JPG
and singletons of Small White, Speckled Wood, Brimstone and Peacock.

Dave
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Just catching up on your epic 3 site trip. The highlight is definitely those Pearls. Everyone involved in that reintroduction must rightly feel a huge sense of pride :D
Some addictions are good for the soul!
trevor

Post by trevor »

It's your Green one(s) that deserve a mrgreen :mrgreen:, lovely specimens, well captured, not easy to do.
As for the Brown Argus, aren't they gorgeous when fresh, dark chocolate, bright orange spots with white wing fringe.

Well done with the mating pair.
Trevor.
kevling

Post by kevling »

Dave, A lovely diary for last week and great pictures. I'm a little envious of those mating PBF, how beautiful. I was planning the long trek from Ipswich this weekend, but the weather does not look like that will happen now :(

Kind Regards
Kev
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Dave I love the the Pearls, that shot of the Green Veined White though is lovely, very Spring like :D Goldie :D
David M

Post by David M »

You've been so busy lately that I can scarcely keep up, Dave. :)

There seems to be plenty going on round your way. Well done with the mating PBFs, and nice to see a female Holly Blue image (I keep trying but all the ones I see are males).

Nice too to know that Small Heaths are emerging. Must keep my eye out for them here in south Wales.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

You were spot on about the weather/butterflies Dave cracking it was and finally got a pair in cop :D Also glad that Essex was able to ID the ab as I got on just like it :D Twenty three ( I had to write it as the digits don't do justice) Holly Blues :shock: :shock: and then 17 I know we joke about you being the HB Whisperer but are you now wearing black and white and playing a pipe - you must be bringing them in from everywhere :shock: :lol:
Looking forward to reading your next set of reports :D
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”