millerd

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
millerd

Re: millerd

Post by millerd »

Once again, thanks to all of you for the great comments - it was a good week one way and another. :)

Those Holly Blue figures are quite modest, Wurzel - the peak day count this year so far has been 34... :D

After a good week, a rather anticlimactic weekend. Almost entirely cloudy on Friday 3rd May, though not too cold. A bit of brightness stirred an Orange Tip (but not for long), and I did see both a Small White and a Green-veined White.
OT1 030519.JPG
Searching likely spots also turned up a roosting Holly Blue, but I reckon they had largely tucked themselves away pending a chilly night.
HB1 030519.JPG
Saturday 4th May was much colder, but between hefty showers there was bright sunshine and I managed a reasonable local walk without getting wet. The Holly Blues once again responded (I saw 17 altogether), and the cool air and bright sunshine was a good combination for them to open their wings. It became apparent that there are still new individuals emerging.
HB1 040519.JPG
HB2 040519.JPG
HB3 040519.JPG
HB5 040519.JPG
HB6 040519.JPG
HB10 040519.JPG
HB12 040519.JPG
HB13 040519.JPG
I also chanced upon a Small Copper, plus a few Orange Tips and GVW.
SC1 040519.JPG
OT1 040519.JPG
With relatively few butterflies around, I managed a shot of what this time must be a queen wasp (making my previous sighting definitely a hornet)...
wasp 040519.JPG
...and a delicate lacewing fly, something whose golden eyes have always fascinated me.
Lacewing 040519.JPG
Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

On Sunday 5th May, it looked quite reasonable early on, and I set off hopefully at around half ten with temperatures nudging 12 degrees in some sunshine. I headed up to Totternhoe near Dunstable for a walk around this area of old chalk workings. However, by the time I had arrived, cloud had spread in from the north and it was only 9 degrees. I saw absolutely nothing in the way of insect life at all, and only the brisk walk kept me warm. :( Returning home, at around half four a patch of blue sky appeared to be approaching, so I headed off onto my local patch. There was virtually nothing flying here either, though I did spot a GVW up in the trees, and a single Speckled Wood in a patch of sunlight. However, my arrival in the main open area near the motorway coincided with a particularly strong burst of sun, and before long I succeeded in finding two Brown Argus, one male and one female. Whether these two are the mating pair from a few days earlier, I can't be sure, but there were several bouts of courtship behaviour which led nowhere.
BAx2 1 050519.JPG
BAx2 2 050519.JPG
BAx2 3 050519.JPG
BAx2 4 050519.JPG
BAx2 5 050519.JPG
The male...
BA7 050519.JPG
BA11 050519.JPG
...and the female
BA2 050519.JPG
BA8 050519.JPG
BA3 050519.JPG
BA9 050519.JPG
The day came good in the end! :)
BA1 050519.JPG
Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely shots of the Brown Arguses Dave :D When the two are together like that I wouldn't know which one to look at first :? a nice problem to have :D Love the final shot most of all that's one that I don't think I age in my colection :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Ps Marshies are out at Martin Down :D
David M

Post by David M »

What a stunning female Brown Argus, Dave. Absolutely mint with gorgeous, well-pronounced orange lunules.

Nice to see you're back in business with your Holly Blues too. Mine are starting to look rather worn. :(
trevor

Post by trevor »

Beautiful Brown Argus shots, Dave. Is there a finer small butterfly when fresh.
I will never forget my one a only visit to Toternhoe. We found a colony of Small Blues
which took a liking for my shoes, they followed me as I walked and landed on them
when I stopped. I think there is a shot of this early in my diary. Bizarre!.
There was no Tesco Tuna on them either :lol: .

Trevor.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Cracking Holly Blues as usual Dave but for once I think they have been outshone by that Brown Argus couple. Lovely fresh examples and I love that final underside shot :mrgreen: :D

Cheers,

Neil.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Cheers, Wurzel - yes, it was difficult to know which way to point the camera, though the butterflies solved that by getting together in the same shot... :) I thought you'd like the backlit shot - once down on the ground behind it I was there for a while so made the most of the forced opportunity. :wink:

They were both lovely fresh butterflies, David, beautifully marked. I was surprised by the fresh Holly Blues as well - I did think they had pretty well stopped emerging, but on they go. I shan't complain. :)

Thank you, Trevor - you're right, a fresh Brown Argus is hard to beat. I hope my next visit to Totternhoe will have Small Blues in it - I have seen them in sizeable numbers there before, and they can be very approachable.

Thanks, Neil - I have to agree that those Brown Argus did trump the Hollies on the day, even though the latter were doing their best to impress me! :)

Monday 6th May was cold and grey almost all day, with only a hint of brightness late afternoon. I saw one Orange Tip flying feebly up into the hawthorns, and tracked down a roosting Brown Argus, probably the male from yesterday's pair.
BA5 060519.JPG
Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

Tuesday 7th May was a better prospect. The early sunshine looked as if it would stay around longer, and it wasn't as cold. I headed for Denbies, being perhaps the closest of the really good sites within reach of here, and following Susie's report of yesterday.

As ever, Small Coppers greeted me as I walked down the edge of Steers Field, and today they were tussling with a couple of Dingy Skippers and a Common Blue.
SC1 070519.JPG
In fact, Dingies were by far the commonest butterfly on the hillside today, with dozens seen in every part of the site.
DS1 070519.JPG
Green Hairstreaks were also to be seen regularly, with several hotspots other than the usual one by the steps: females were also down in the grass almost anywhere.
GH5 070519.JPG
GH6 070519.JPG
GH8 070619.JPG
unusual to see two so close together: showing off the colour variation, not entirely down to the angle of the light.
unusual to see two so close together: showing off the colour variation, not entirely down to the angle of the light.
Also fairly ubiqitous were Small Heaths. Grizzled Skippers were fewer in number than last week, and looking rather worn now, but still fairly common along the bottom of the slope. Finally, there were the Blues: a handful of Common Blues were around, again mostly along the bottom of the hillside:
CB1 070519.JPG
CB2 070519.JPG
However, the Adonis were also out (my first this year), encountered slightly more often than the Common Blues, and more widespread.
AB1 070519.JPG
AB2 070519.JPG
there were a number with slight wing defects like this one
there were a number with slight wing defects like this one
AB6 070519.JPG
AB7 070518.JPG
AB10 070519.JPG
Numbers of both should build as the weather improves. There was one curious sighting: As I lined up a shot of another Adonis, I became aware that it was not alone. Crawling up behind it from the grass was a Grizzled Skipper, which carried on until it was also mostly in the sun, but somehow not shading the larger butterfly. They stayed like this for a while - a very unusual juxtaposition.
AB+GS 1 070519.JPG
AB+GS 4 070519.JPG
AB+GS 5 070519.JPG
AB+GS 6 070519.JPG
Also seen was this unusual green-bodied spider, which was lurking in one of the bushes frequented by the Green Hairstreaks - it certainly appeared to have consumed a few, judging by its colour...
spider 070519.JPG
There were also good numbers of burnet moths - I think this may be the five-spot species, but happy to be corrected.
burnet  070519.JPG
A much better day again. :)

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

The Adonis aren't quite ready over this neck of the woods yet Dave but yours have really whetted my appetite for them :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: What is going on with that Grizzlie? In the first shot the way its holding its abdomen it almost looks like it's trying to either mate or repel the advances of the Adonis? :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Looks like I picked the right week to take off, another trip to Denbies beckons for the weekend me thinks! Light winds, sunny spells and mid teens temperatures if the forecast is to be believed, perfect conditions!
Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

Great to know Adonis Blues are starting to emerge, Dave. Right now is the start of the ‘small butterfly’ season, with the likes of Common/Adonis Blue, Dingy Skipper, Small Heath, etc, taking the place of the vanessids and Whites. Times are a changing…
millerd

Post by millerd »

The next few days of sunshine and warmer temperatures should really bring a few things out in a big way - choosing where to go will be the problem! I could well be headed down your way, Wurzel - apart from anything, the west is more favoured with the sun this time it seems.

Definitely a good week to take some leave, Buggy... :)

Friday 10th May. After three dismal, cold and often wet days, today looked a better bet. I thought I might try Chiddingfold for possible Wood Whites, but the signs flashed up on the M25 that the A3 was closed south of Guildford, rather scuppering that idea. I diverted down the M3 and then across to Noar Hill instead. By the time I got there, there was a lot more cloud, but enough sunshine and brightness persisted to allow the Dukes to fly. I probably saw ten or so in various spots, plus a few Dingy Skippers, a couple of Small Heaths and two Green Hairstreaks.
DS1 100519.JPG
GH2 100519.JPG
I spoke to a chap who had seen a Small Blue, but I wasn't so lucky. If there had been full sunshine, I suspect there would have been a great deal more flying. Almost all the Dukes (and Duchesses) looked pretty fresh, so they must still be emerging.
DB3 100519.JPG
DB5 100519.JPG
DB7 100519.JPG
DB25 100519.JPG
DB22 100519.JPG
DB10 100519.JPG
DB12 100519.JPG
DB17 100519.JPG
DB19 100519.JPG
DB20 100519.JPG
DB18 100519.JPG
Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic Dukes and Duchesses Dave and great to see that they're still going strong. I visited Noar Hill about a 3 weeks ago and there were similar numbers there then so this is a really productive site :D I did a recce for you to Martin Down today :wink: Small, Adonis, Common Blues as well as all the usual suspects along with 14 Marsh Frits so if you do come over this way you should have a cracking time :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

Cheers, Wurzel - thank you for the reconnaisance! You've pretty well made my mind up now... :)

Saturday 11th May: A tour of my local patch first, dodging showers (or nearly - only one soaking though :( ). 48 butterflies of eight species seen:

Holly Blue 18
HB1 110519.JPG
Brown Argus 9
BA1 110519.JPG
BA2 110519.JPG
BA3 110519.JPG
BA4 110519.JPG
Small Heath 9
SH1 100519.JPG
GVW 5
Small White 3
Speckled Wood 2
SpW1 110519.JPG
Small Copper 1
SC1 110519.JPG
Orange Tip 1

Good to see the numbers of Brown Argus and Small Heath building, though strange that they haven't been joined yet by a single Common Blue.

As the day wore on, the blue sky increased so I decided to head for Chiddingfold as I had originally planned to do yesterday. The Wood Whites were out, and from their condition some had been around for several days. I saw over a dozen, but aside from a similar number of Brimstones and a couple of GVW, there was nothing else.
WW1 110519.JPG
WW3 110519.JPG
WW4 110519.JPG
WW5 110519.JPG
WW7 110519.JPG
WW2 110519.JPG
Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic Wood White shots Dave :mrgreen: I'll probably have to wait or the 2nd brood unfortunately. The first one looks really 'smokey' I can't recall seeing one that had that much black scaling on it :shock: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

millerd wrote:
Good to see the numbers of Brown Argus and Small Heath building, though strange that they haven't been joined yet by a single Common Blue.
I've been puzzled about that too, Dave. Although I saw a single specimen last weekend, I was surprised not to see any at all yesterday at the site where I saw my first Brown Argus on 18th April! Surely they must come to the party very soon?
kevling

Post by kevling »

Dave,

Some nice photos this week. I particularly love the super fresh Brown Argus, beautiful. Glad you got close to a Small Heath too. They are not easy to photograph at close quarters.

Regards
Kev
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Fantastic shots Dave, Love the Duke shots :mrgreen: and the Green Hair Streaks shots are Brill :D Goldie :D
millerd

Post by millerd »

Thanks, Wurzel - yes, that is a very dark individual. Though the first brood have darker undersides than the second (and more black on the upperside too), that one seems extreme.

I hope the Common Blues appear soon, David. I've not seen many yet anywhere to be honest.

Cheers, Kev. The Brown Argus are a delight at the moment, and it's still early days for them. Hopefully there will be more shortly. I tracked that Small Heath to the ground when the sun went in, and it became immobilised (hence it being tightly shut). It has to be the hairiest example I have ever seen as well - phenomenally so. :shock:

Thank you Goldie. Green Hairstreaks are great value, and make such splendid subjects for the camera. Like Orange Tips, it's a shame when they disappear each year. I've bumped into several people this year who were seeing them for the first time, and all were really taken with this attractively coloured insect. :)

Dave
Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Really nice selections Dave. It's the Brown Argus I'm most taken with, beautiful. :mrgreen: :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”