Holiday to Germany part 5

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Philzoid

Holiday to Germany part 5

Post by Philzoid »

For Saturday the 28th everyone said they wanted to go to Munich :o :? . So that’s where we went … a 100+ mile drive to get there with my eldest navigating again. Prior to setting off from the resort, I snapped some shots of the cheeky juvenile Black Redstarts which were often loitering around the cars :D .
A 2018.07.28 IMG_6129 P1090940 Black Redstart (juvenile (2)) resort grounds car-park.jpg
Barbed wire fence: now with added rust
Barbed wire fence: now with added rust
The drive was incident free until we got to the town centre and tried to find a car-park. The GPS map data upload was occurring ‘after the event’ so the car-park that was there … wasn’t there :? :x . Fortunately, we chanced on one after I was close to giving up. The underground car-park although 20Euros for the day was a godsend as we were literally in the town centre able to see most of the sights on foot 8) .
At street level from the car-park we went straight into a Bavarian restaurant on FrauenstraBe for drinks and to freshen up. When I went to use the toilets, it was clear that the cleanliness of this establishment was not of the usual German standard as evidenced by a hair in the otherwise spotless wash-basin :roll: :wink: .
C 2018.07.28 IMG_6138 Owl midge, wash Basin, Wirtshaus Braunauer hof, (Bavarian Restaurant), 42 Frauenstraße, Munich.jpg
We loved exploring Munich (beautiful city) but there was little wildlife seen to report. A pigeon practising camouflage against the walls of St. Peter’s catholic church (I was impressed 8) ) and a naked German in the park :shock: :shock: .
matching the colour card
matching the colour card
Later-on I was determined to see the Olympic stadium (to see it’s space-age (at the time) roof design) so we took the underground to get there but there was quite a long walk through a large park to get to the stadia :o . A Black Squirrel (form of red?) eluded my camera lens and despite the warm evening there were no butterflies anywhere :? .
E 2018.07.28 IMG_7481 Olympic stadium, Munich.jpg
Looking down the Georg-Brauchle-Ring to BMW HQ, Munich
Looking down the Georg-Brauchle-Ring to BMW HQ, Munich
Next morning was my day, a reward for driving the 200mile round trip :) . I was able to do my own thing whilst the others rested up from the all the walking they’d done around Munich. So, first port of call was my new-found grassy bank next to where I’d seen the Hawfinch three days earlier. No Hawfinch or deer this time but I was soon into butterflies staring with Small White and then a lovely male Mazarine Blue :D .
F 2018.07.29 IMG_6146 Pieris rapae, Small White, nr. Bergkristall - Mein Resort im Allgäu, Oberstaufen.jpg
G 2018.07.29 IMG_6154 Cyaniris semiargus, Mazarine Blue, nr. Bergkristall - Mein Resort im Allgäu, Oberstaufen.jpg
H 2018.07.29 IMG_6158 Cyaniris semiargus, Mazarine Blue, nr. Bergkristall - Mein Resort im Allgäu, Oberstaufen.jpg
I 2018.07.29 IMG_6177 Cyaniris semiargus, Mazarine Blue (male underside), grass bank nr. Willis, Oberstaufen.jpg
As expected there were male Sooty Coppers and Common Blue too
J 2018.07.29 IMG_6199 Polyommatus icaurs, Common Blue (male), grass bank nr. Willis, Oberstaufen.jpg
K 2018.07.29 IMG_6207 Lycaena tityrus, Sooty Copper (male), grass bank nr. Willis, Oberstaufen.jpg
The next butterfly was the real show-stopper for me, a beautiful fresh female Sooty, resplendent in chestnut-red as it attempted to blend-in with the red clover flower dead-heads that it alighted on :D .
L 2018.07.29 IMG_6231 Lycaena tityrus, Sooty Copper (female underside), grass bank nr. Willis, Oberstaufen.jpg
M 2018.07.29 IMG_6239 Lycaena tityrus, Sooty Copper (female), grass bank nr. Willis, Oberstaufen.jpg
N 2018.07.29 IMG_6274 Lycaena tityrus, Sooty Copper (female), grass bank nr. Willis, Oberstaufen.jpg
O 2018.07.29 IMG_6303 Lycaena tityrus, Sooty Copper (female), grass bank nr. Willis, Oberstaufen.jpg
Further shots were made of Small heath and Small White + a lozenge-shaped Ladybird Hippodamia (Adonia) variegata but climbing and sliding up and down the steep bank was taking its toll on my feet (new boots not broken in) plus at the top of the bank I was exposed in the eyeline of a farmhouse and I didn’t want to risk a second ticking-off :shock: .
P 2018.07.29 IMG_6189 Hippodamia (Adonia) variegata, Adonis Ladybird, grass bank nr. Willis, Oberstaufen.jpg
Q 2018.07.29 IMG_6327 Coenonympha pamphilus, Small Heath,, grass bank nr. Willis, Oberstaufen.jpg
R 2018.07.29 IMG_6329 Pieris rapae, Small White, grass bank nr. Willis, Oberstaufen.jpg
S 2018.07.29 IMG_6336 Pieris rapae, Small White, grass bank nr. Willis, Oberstaufen.jpg
On the way back through the woodland walk where the sunlight penetrated onto the track, was another butterfly, a Speckled Wood :) . Like Specklies all over they seem inquisitive to intruders in their territory, this one first alighting on the ground then perching on a leaf around head height as a vantage point.
T 2018.07.29 IMG_6346 Parage aegeria, Speckled Wood on woodland path nr. Willis, Oberstaufen.jpg
U 2018.07.29 IMG_6355 Parage aegeria, Speckled Wood by woodland path nr. Willis, Oberstaufen.jpg
Back at the resort I had a look around the various apartment blocks and came across a Paper wasp nest similar but larger than the one I found in Cabopino Spain. I think the species is Polistes dominula and I believe they will sting if their nests are threatened, but they didn’t seem to be bothered by my near presence :| .
V 2018.07.29 IMG_6375 Polistes sp. (dominula) Paper wasps on nest, Alpenblickhotel swiming baths, Oberstaufen.jpg
to be continued
David M

Re: Holiday to Germany part 5

Post by David M »

Philzoid wrote:...The next butterfly was the real show-stopper for me, a beautiful fresh female Sooty, resplendent in chestnut-red as it attempted to blend-in with the red clover flower dead-heads that it alighted on...
So glad you got to see one of these, Phil. They are truly stunning, aren't they?
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

David M wrote:So glad you got to see one of these, Phil. They are truly stunning, aren't they?
They are .. and this one in particular which has more extensive red on the forewing compared to the one I saw on Hundle in part 2a :)
David M

Post by David M »

Philzoid wrote:
David M wrote:So glad you got to see one of these, Phil. They are truly stunning, aren't they?
They are .. and this one in particular which has more extensive red on the forewing compared to the one I saw on Hundle in part 2a :)
Agreed. When they are more 'copper' than 'sooty' then they are amongst the finest looking of all European butterfly species.

Return to “General”