Holiday to Germany part 3

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Philzoid

Holiday to Germany part 3

Post by Philzoid »

Wednesday the 25th was a day of relaxation, a coach-trip through the Swiss Alps via a small part of Austria to Luino in Italy (Lake Maggiore). As ever I took my cameras hoping that I may get to take in some wildlife as well as the wonderful scenery. Unfortunately and understandably, the coach driver was a man on a mission working to a tight schedule and no amount of my longing for him to stop as we passed promising looking butterfly habitat was going to make it happen :| . Switzerland was a mixture … beautiful mountain scenery, little farms, and small towns with their unique church steeples (that helped me identify the locations of photos I took as we passed on through) but also the trappings of modern industry development: - steel bunker buildings, tall cranes, stone and cement quarries advertising hoardings and car-ports: - towns of industrial estate likeness. It was …. and wasn’t like I envisaged.
Nufenen, Switzerland
Nufenen, Switzerland
We passed through places with curious names like “Bad Ragaz” and “Chur” which further south became more latin sounding: - Mesocco; San Bernadino; Lugano (Nufenen above was about half way). And, I did get my wish-for stop a Rastplatz (resting place) at San Bernadino Nord although it wouldn’t have been my choice. The pull in was for a 20 minutes tea and pee stop. I couldn’t be bothered queuing for the toilets and immediately set to work looking for butterflies. Trouble was it was somewhat barren vegetation-wise and cool also :( .
Initially I was focussed on a Sawfly (Tenthredo sp); a ‘Small White’ which wouldn’t land, a moth I’ve still to identify then at the far end of the car-park amongst a clump of grasses and Rosebay Willowherb, I eventually got something meatier: - a Large Fritillary. This one a Niobe Fritillary I think. It would play hard to get by dropping into long grass whilst still being very alert at my approach although my photographic ability also deserted me at this point as you can see from the pictures.
Tenthredo sp. sawfly
Tenthredo sp. sawfly
Anyone know what this species is. Saw it (or similar)  frequently throughout my holiday
Anyone know what this species is. Saw it (or similar) frequently throughout my holiday
Niobe Fritillary
Niobe Fritillary
E  2018.07.25 IMG_5647 High brown or Niobe Fritillary, Rest area San Bernadino North, Switzerland.jpg
F  2018.07.25 IMG_5655 High brown or Niobe Fritillary, Rest area San Bernadino North, Switzerland.jpg
Something else almost deserted me ….. the coach :shock: The passengers were already back and seated and I was missing. I heard the missus hollering and I made it back with a fast sprint … second only to the one I made to stop ‘Tuco’ the copper-cum-traffic warden issuing me with a parking ticket in Vilaflor, Tenerife. My panting arrival was much to the annoyance of the driver and amusement of the other passengers :oops: . The driver then went on to warn everyone about an American couple who had missed the coach back from Luino and the huge cost that had entailed. “Don’t be late” :evil: :!:

The scenery was beautiful by Lake Maggiore but the weather was even hotter than we’d experienced in Oberstaufen. A large market selling clothing and haberdashery type goods (but no food) wasn’t of particular interest as we wended our way through the thronging crowds trying to stick together and keep to the shady side of the streets. Some refreshment at a bar and lunch in a pizzeria provided a welcome break. Afterwards we strolled along the lake promenade where I got my 19th species a Holly Blue spotted by my youngest (if only I had her eyes :cry: ). Also seen was a Wall lizard; Yellow-legged gull; Hooded Crow and the ubiquitous Pied (White) Wagtail. In the lake were large scaled fish which I think were Chub :)
Holly Blue
Holly Blue
Bee. Anthidium sp.?
Bee. Anthidium sp.?
Podarcis muralis, Common Wall Lizard
Podarcis muralis, Common Wall Lizard
Lake Chub
Lake Chub
After the warning there was no missing the returning journey back. The driver took us back along the same route following the Hinterrhein (and later on the Rhine) and this time he stopped at a narrow roadside pull-in at the Viamala gorge. Hemmed in by steep craggy rocks it was certainly more interesting from a tourist perspective, but not so if you were hoping to bag a Grisons Fritillary :wink: .
Scenic view of Hinterrhein and Nufenen area, Switzerland
Scenic view of Hinterrhein and Nufenen area, Switzerland
Viamala Gorge, Switzerland
Viamala Gorge, Switzerland
L 2018.07.25 IMG_7212 P1090757 Viamala gorge by road 13, Lohn, Grisons, Switzerland.jpg
Thursday 26/07/18 Getting up early as usual I decided to extend my woodland walk to see where it would take me. And, that turned out to be a good move :D . After following the undulating woodland track for around a half mile I emerged into the open next to a building site which to my amazement was populated by Red Deer :o . The deer were somewhat nervous of my approach and a few decided to move off through a gap in the fencing back to where they presumably came from. Thankfully not all did so and I was more or less able to view them through fencing, the herd consisting of around 2 dozen animals, including a large velvet antler stag and a couple of cute 'bambi’s' :D .
M 2018.07.26 IMG_5716 Deer (Red), fawn, Building site, Willis, Oberstaufen.jpg
The building site was an extension to the Bergkristall spa hotel resort at the English sounding village of “Willis” on the outskirts of Oberstaufen. Further along in the next fenced-off compound the ground was mostly exposed clay soil and a few small ground-feeding birds caught my eye. I couldn’t believe my luck, when one of them turned out to be a Hawfinch and a lifer :D . The picture below was the best I could manage as it was over 35 yards away partially hidden as well as blending into the clumps of clay. The other birds were Chaffinch and Black Redstart.
N 2018.07.26 IMG_5737 P1090809 Hawfinch, building site nr. Willis, Oberstaufen.jpg
Things get even better when only a few yards further on was a steep but unfenced bank of grass and flowers which promised butterflies (and no grazing cows). I was only able to explore it for a few minutes, capturing a pic of a female Mazarine Blue before needing to leave but happy with my discovery and knowing that I would returning at a later date :) .
O 2018.07.26 IMG_5742 Mazarine Blue (female), grass bank nr. Willis, Oberstaufen.jpg
After getting back to the others we packed out swimming cozzies and made for the local leisure pool Aquaria Erlebnisbad for a leisurely fun-filled afternoon only marred for me when I’d failed to apply sufficient sun-block and ended up with severe sun-burn on areas of my legs :x . This would curtail any further sun-lounging/outdoor swimming activities for me for the rest of my holiday :( . The rest of the crew were keen to try out the saunas but beat a hasty retreat on discovery that they were mixed ones :shock: :shock: . As for me? When in Rome :lol: .
Another ‘wildlife’ feature at Aquaria Erlebnisbad and around Oberstaufen in general, were the huge inch+ long Tabanus sudeticus horseflies like the one that nearly took Wurzel’s leg off at Bentley a few years back :shock: :wink: . One even got into our car and caused chaos (that’ll teach em to keep opening the windows against my wishes :twisted: :lol: ).

After the leisure pool it was back to the resort where I put in a little exploring before dinner but could only manage this Shield bug.
Carpocoris purpureipennis
Carpocoris purpureipennis
More butterflies in parts 4a and 4b I promise. :!:

Phil
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Holiday to Germany part 3

Post by Wurzel »

I recall that Horse-fly - I still have nightmares about it now! :shock: Great set of shots again, especially the Hawfinch - they do come down to the ground but are even more wary than usual so that's a cracking shot to have gotten :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I reckon the Frit looks good for Niobe - I can't see the black spot but the black veins, mind you I could be/probably am wrong :roll: :lol:
Looking forward to part 4! :D
Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

That scenery looks gorgeous, Phil.

The Niobe underside on the grass stem is pretty attractive too! :)
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Wurzel wrote:I recall that Horse-fly - I still have nightmares about it now!

You showed plenty of bottle at the time :o . You let me have the time to get some photos of it as it sat on your leg contemplating sinking it’s proboscis into your flesh. Respect man! 8)
David M wrote:That scenery looks gorgeous, Phil.
Indeed it was and it was difficult selecting the shots to put up even though they were all taken through the window of a moving bus :) . That Niobe btw was like you described, “tricky” without a nectar source.

Phil

Return to “General”