Holiday to Germany part 2a

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Philzoid

Holiday to Germany part 2a

Post by Philzoid »

24/07/18.
After my morning’s sortie we decided to take a cable car up the Hündle mountain, a short drive from Oberstaufen :D . The whole set-up looked very modern, with the spacious gondolas seating up to 8 people. It was another hot day so I had to offload one of my cameras (I had three) to my eldest daughter who delighted in taking photos of us going up in our cable car :) .
Whilst waiting to board I spotted a silver-washed fritillary taking nectar from Echinacea flowers.
A 2018.07.24 IMG_5315 Silver-washed Fritillary (female), Sommerrodelbahn Hündle Cable Car.jpg
The top of the run was around 1100m not particularly high so needless to say, the weather wasn’t any cooler.
Scenery from up the Hundle
Scenery from up the Hundle
My eldest was determined to get going to find Buchenegger Wasserfälle (a scenic woodland waterfall) leaving me no time to really look for butterflies :| . I did get to see a Marbled White (my 10th species seen so far) but it was down a steep grassy gully. A more accessible gully got me Small Skipper and two Mazarine Blue (male and female) … and through a wooded section I spotted some more Silver-washed Fritillary and a very tatty male ‘Dark Green Fritillary’*.
Marbled White.
Marbled White.
Mazarine Blue
Mazarine Blue
E 2018.07.24 IMG_5345 Silver-washed Fritillary (female), Hündle nr. Sennalpe Bärenschwand.jpg
Small Skipper
Small Skipper
* see part 2b
* see part 2b
I had new walking boots on but they weren’t broken-in and the walk got more punishing particularly for my missus who initially keen on the waterfall venture, was beginning to tire (”we need to have them walking sticks” was her cry, referring to the hardy alpine walkers who all had walking poles :cry: ). Fortunately, we came across a ‘life-saver’ farmhouse (Sennalpe Bärenschwand) where a young lady served drinks (Beer!! :D ) through the kitchen window, and where there was bench seating in the shade 8) . Suitably refreshed we soldiered on but the terrain got tougher and steeper and seemingly never ending. Other walkers we met didn’t know how far Buchenegger Wasserfälle was and in the end we threw in the towel :oops: (after the holiday, I checked google maps and we were only 400 yards from it when we turned back :roll: ).

On the way back, I sloped off onto an unfenced grassy bank telling the other’s I’d meet them back at the Sennalpe Bärenschwand farmhouse and “mine’s a Beer” :wink: .
In that area I saw another fly-by Swallowtail, and also something new, Sooty Coppers Lycaena tityrus. These were mostly males but I also was able to get close to a courting pair :D . The photos don’t do justice to these little jewel-like butterflies.
H 2018.07.24 IMG_5379 Sooty Copper (male), returning to Sennalpe Bärenschwand, Hundle.jpg
I 2018.07.24 IMG_5382 Sooty Copper (courtship), returning to Sennalpe Bärenschwand,  Hündle.jpg
J 2018.07.24 IMG_5387 Sooty Copper (courtship), returning to Sennalpe Bärenschwand,  Hündle.jpg
K 2018.07.24 IMG_5393 Sooty Copper (female), returning to Sennalpe Bärenschwand,  Hündle.jpg
L 2018.07.24 IMG_5398 Sooty Copper (female), returning to Sennalpe Bärenschwand,  Hündle.jpg
Other butterflies in that spot were Mazarine Blue both male and females, Small Heath and a Marbled White :D
M 2018.07.24 IMG_5402 Small Heath, returning to Sennalpe Bärenschwand,  Hündle.jpg
N 2018.07.24 IMG_5411 Sooty Copper (male), returning to Sennalpe Bärenschwand,  Hündle.jpg
O 2018.07.24 IMG_5417 Mazarine Blue (male) worn, returning to Sennalpe Bärenschwand,  Hündle.jpg
P 2018.07.24 IMG_5426 Mazarine Blue (female), returning to Sennalpe Bärenschwand,  Hündle.jpg
Q 2018.07.24 IMG_5438 Mazarine Blue (female), returning to Sennalpe Bärenschwand,  Hündle.jpg
R 2018.07.24 IMG_5443 Marbled White (worn), returning to Sennalpe Bärenschwand,  Hündle.jpg
S 2018.07.24 IMG_5445 Sooty Copper (male), returning to Sennalpe Bärenschwand,  Hündle.jpg
T 2018.07.24 IMG_5454 Mazarine Blue (female), returning to Sennalpe Bärenschwand,  Hündle.jpg
More in part 2b with “*” to be explained.

Phil
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Holiday to Germany part 2a

Post by Wurzel »

Great stuff Philzoid even if you didn't make it to ' Bitofabugger Wasserfalle' :wink: Those Sooty Coppers are great especially the female I so wish that they were in the UK :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Yes - not dark green but a more elevated shade ... :wink:

If it matters to your species count, I think the skipper looks like a female Essex rather than a small. The upperside margins and what can be seen of the underside suggest this, quite apart from what can be seen of the antennae. Not 100% though.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Wurzel wrote:Those Sooty Coppers are great especially the female I so wish that they were in the UK
I totally agree Wurzel :) . Love the Sooties and their colourful sheen which you’ve captured brilliantly on you female in the Dordogne :D . I have another female for later and she is more like yours although the colour is more matt rather than gloss.
Padfield wrote:If it matters to your species count, I think the skipper looks like a female Essex rather than a small. The upperside margins and what can be seen of the underside suggest this, quite apart from what can be seen of the antennae. Not 100% though.
You could be right on that one Guy :? Initially I had it down as “smessex”. I have a definite Essex in the next post so I’m relying on a couple of worn 'Small' in a later post to keep my species count up. Some either/or (or even both) Fritillaries too as I'm sure you know :wink:

Phil
David M

Post by David M »

Philzoid wrote:..Whilst waiting to board I spotted a silver-washed fritillary taking nectar from Echinacea flowers...
Those blooms must have been some size to dwarf a Silver Washed Fritillary like that, Phil.

Looking forward to your next instalment.
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

There are lots of varieties of Echinacea which come in various colours and sizes. These were big indeed, around 1.5M tall and flowers probably 5 inches across :)

More (a lot of) Silver-washed (and others) to come.

Phil
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Great observations Phil.
Looking forward to more.
My sound advice is "beer never on the way up, but always on the way down".
Chris
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Chris Jackson wrote:My sound advice is "beer never on the way up, but always on the way down".
I’m not quite sure about that Chris :) but what I will say is in the UK my beer is always bitter but the Bavarian lager was just the tonic :D . Soon after getting back home we had a camping trip to Southwold in Suffolk and it took me a couple of days to get back into enjoying an Adnams … one of my favourite beers :shock:

Phil

Return to “General”