Smardale Gill

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
John W

Smardale Gill

Post by John W »

Hi folks,

I am going to be in Cumbria for the next 5 days and I am thinking of visiting Smardale Gill for the Scotch Argus. It looks like quite a big site - can anyone suggest where to start looking?

The Cumbria Wildlife Trust web site ( http://www.cumbriawildlifetrust.org.uk/ ... directions ) says that the site can be accessed from two places - one at the northern end, near Smardale village, GPS co-ords: 54.468634, -2.403946; and also from the southern end near Newbiggin-on-Lune at 54.442395, -2.4592236. Does anyone know which would be better / nearer to where the Scotch Argus are?

Thanks for any help,
John W
David M

Re: Smardale Gill

Post by David M »

I'm not familiar with all the points of entry to Smardale Gill, but what I can tell you with absolute confidence is that the best spot for aethiops is the hillside adjacent to the magnificent viaduct that dominates this site (you can see this area in the main image on your link).

In addition, when you stand on the viaduct, you will see a linear path (used to be the old railway track) each side of which harbours scabious plants galore. When I visited 3 years ago these were plastered with Scotch Argus....I reckon I saw well into three figures that day.

I put a report on my PD which you can find on this page if you scroll down, including visual details of the hotspot:

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=4876&start=260
dave brown

Post by dave brown »

A friend visited mid week and says that Scotch Argus are on the wing near the viaduct.
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

It's several years since I was last at Smardale but my recollection is that the walk to the viaduct from the Smardale Village car-park is easier - a relatively level path through woodland. The path from Newbiggin is longer and steeper, climbing over a rough hillside before reaching the viaduct. I can confirm that the butterflies were found on the slopes near the viaduct. One advantage of the Newbiggin end is that there a a good coffee shop/cafe at the garden centre, where we were able to dry out after being caught in a heavy rain shower!
John W

Post by John W »

David M wrote: I put a report on my PD which you can find on this page if you scroll down, including visual details of the hotspot:

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=4876&start=260
Thanks David, very helpful.
John W

Post by John W »

MikeOxon wrote:It's several years since I was last at Smardale but my recollection is that the walk to the viaduct from the Smardale Village car-park is easier - a relatively level path through woodland. The path from Newbiggin is longer and steeper, climbing over a rough hillside before reaching the viaduct. I can confirm that the butterflies were found on the slopes near the viaduct. One advantage of the Newbiggin end is that there a a good coffee shop/cafe at the garden centre, where we were able to dry out after being caught in a heavy rain shower!
Thanks Mike, that's just the sort of info I was hoping for!
Rivoldini

Post by Rivoldini »

I have been to Smardale the last three years and will be there again soon.

The best access is from Smardale village. Half way along the track to the viaduct you will get all of your arguses along there, long before you reach the viaduct. They are on both verges and very easy to photograph as they do not fly far.
Ron
Kip

Post by Kip »

Beware the Smardale end as I visited there a few days ago only to find in the region of 20 NO PARKING signs nailed to everything that didn't move ( including the "parking area")... I think if I had stood for any length of time I would have had one nailed to me.... so next time I go, I'm going to the other end. The locals seem to dislike anyone wanting to go along the old line.
aethops is out in small numbers, but on the day I chose, not much else was about but a few small skippers and Meadow Browns. There were far fewer fragrant orchids than on my last visit as well.. all in all, not very welcoming.
More pics on http://ptkbutterflies.wixsite.com/photo-art - should you wish to look, I hope you like the site..
David M

Post by David M »

John W wrote:Are they like Meadow Browns and Ringlets, in that they will fly in dull overcast weather?
No. As a rule they'll hunker in the grass in dull periods. Light cloud is okay, but there are so many on the site I'm sure you'd flush a few out unless it was pouring down. I visited Arnside a few years ago and found a few roosting in the bracken during a period of light rain.
John W

Post by John W »

Well I went to Smardale Gill yesterday, it turned into a bit of nightmare, at least at first. I was planning to go to the Smardale Gill car park, but about half way along the narrow road to Smardale, there was a sign saying "Road to Smardale closed, follow diversion". I then spent ages following diversion signs around narrow country lanes only to eventually end up where I started! So I decided to switch to plan B and drive back to the Newbiggin entrance. It was quite a long walk but flat and eventually I did see some Scotch Argus, just after the structure shown in the photo. There were some by the Lime Kilns too. I eventually did reach the viaduct but turned back there, as my arthritic ankle was beginning to play up by this time.
jul-31 - 1.jpg
Kip wrote:Beware the Smardale end as I visited there a few days ago only to find in the region of 20 NO PARKING signs nailed to everything that didn't move ( including the "parking area")... I think if I had stood for any length of time I would have had one nailed to me.... so next time I go, I'm going to the other end. The locals seem to dislike anyone wanting to go along the old line.
aethops is out in small numbers, but on the day I chose, not much else was about but a few small skippers and Meadow Browns. There were far fewer fragrant orchids than on my last visit as well.. all in all, not very welcoming.
At the viaduct I spoke to a Cumbria Wildlife Trust person. They said the No Parking signs are the work of a particular farmer, who claims to own the land where the car park is, despite the wildlife trust having paperwork to prove it is theirs. He said the wildlife trust were working to improve the car park, though it might take a couple of years.

Anyway I hope for better luck at Arnside Knott tomorrow!

Cheers
John W
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Sorry to read that you had a difficult time but at least you found some butterflies. I also hope that the wildlife trust manage to assert their rights to the car-park.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

John W wrote:It was quite a long walk but flat and eventually I did see some Scotch Argus, just after the structure shown in the photo. ... They said the No Parking signs are the work of a particular farmer, who claims to own the land where the car park is, despite the wildlife trust having paperwork to prove it is theirs.
Well, I'm glad you found them, John! I wonder what would happen if you were to park in the car park; I might give it a go in a couple of weeks when I'm in the area, just to see what happens. I'll get some photos of any angry farmer and post them here, if I'm still alive :)

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
dave brown

Post by dave brown »

That could be an interesting visit Pete.

If the Wildlife Trust has the paperwork to prove their ownership then slightly baffling is why they tolerate signs being erected on their land. Any other land owner would remove them immediately, as it would encourage the person to consider they have a claim. I suspect they are trying to be concillatory, but clearly the farmer is not.

It would also be interesting to know what has caused this. Change of farmer, potential planning application? We have all been visiting years without any hassle. I visited in 2007 and everything was fine and friendly. I believe the Smardale Village end is mentioned in many books, leaflets, web sites and must be leaving many visitors very confused. Not just wildlife watchers.

Anyway, best of luck if you do visit.

Return to “Sites”