Black Butterfly - E Sussex coast

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
EB1

Black Butterfly - E Sussex coast

Post by EB1 »

I can't give a lot of helpful information but wonder if anyone has suggestions what butterfly this may be.
Location - East Sussex coast - just inland and downhill from cliffs 13 Oct 2016
Colour and habitat: I was walking down hill, wind behind me, when a black butterfly flew out of the roadside blackthorn,hawthorn,bramble hedge beside me. Gave impression of just one colour.
Flight: It flew in a more or less straight line away from me and the wind, near the top of the hedge line until I couldn't see it probably 20 metres away.
Don't know if all butterflies do - in flight wings folded right up to each other - and this as well as colour caught my attention. (Other butterflies I probably notice more when wings open. I didn't notice how open on the down beat).
Sorry I didn't see any more detail. Never seen a butterfly which looked black before (suppose could have been a dark navy or purple).
Smaller than a red admiral - maybe a little bigger than a speckled wood

Also today I saw the first clouded yellow I am aware of having ever seen so that pleased me.
EB1
NickMorgan

Re: Black Butterfly - E Sussex coast

Post by NickMorgan »

Hi EB,
Welcome to the forum!
I wonder if it was a Peacock? They have very dark undersides and depending on how the light hits them they can look very dark in flight.
EB1

Post by EB1 »

Thank you for the idea - I see what you mean re colour (pics of wings folded) but I think the wings were smooth edged whereas closed wings of Peacock look in book as if more jagged. In flight when wings upwards, shape rather like book pics of large white folded wings. Also I think I will recognise a Peacock as I quite often get them on the buddlea (though not this year). It seemed to fly differently from them. Maybe it is something that has blown in across the channel.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Definitely a butterfly? Old Lady moths Mormo maura, are rather large and dark. I've occasionally disturbed one during the day. Normal flight period is July to September but mid October is probably not beyond the realms of possibility.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
EB1

Post by EB1 »

Interesting idea - looked this up, and alongside were pics of Painted Lady Moth (with wings folded) and Black Witch Moth (similar colour). Possible I suppose. Moths often seem to beat their wings quite fast but I suppose they don't all.
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

... or maybe a Red Underwing moth? They sometimes act like a butterfly by holding their wings up rather than across their bodies. You can't often see the red on their underwings when they are in flight and they just look "dark". They are also the right sort of size (pretty big for a UK moth).

Trev
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

I note that there has been a recent Camberwell Beauty (Nymphalis antiopa) sighting on the East Coast. This is a butterfly that can turn up singly, almost anywhere. Have a look at http://www.guypadfield.com/camberwellbeauty.html and the video linked from that page, to see if it seems a possibility.
EB1

Post by EB1 »

Golly - I'd no idea this is so difficult!

Following the suggestion of Camberwell Beauty/Mourning Cloak I've looked up lots of pics and videos. I have a very clear image in my mind. Unfortunately there's a lack of pics of it flying - only disappearing off screen! But the glimpses seem to suggest it flies fast and in a fairly straight line which would fit. Also wings and body do seem to look quite black in a lot of the pics and the cream fringe isn't always so noticeable and it does seem to put its wings up more than others. It may be the most likely contender. I think I can't tell. Sorry folks (blush).

(I feel like I'm giving confusing messages ie thought it smaller than a Red Admiral but a/c to book this one is bigger. Perhaps harder to tell due to wings up rather than out like with Red Admiral)
EB1

Post by EB1 »

Despite above comment I am still trawling internet for picture for that eureka moment - starting to obsess me(!)
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

EB1 wrote: I think I can't tell. Sorry folks (blush).
Definitely no need to blush - many people would jump all too easily to the conclusion that they'd spotted a rarity :)

Return to “Identification”