Strange Purple Hairstreak.

Discussion forum for sightings.
mvpike

Strange Purple Hairstreak.

Post by mvpike »

Purple Hairstreaks are out in force at Alners Gorse reserve in Dorset at the moment.

However I don't think there are many more like this individual?? Only managed a couple of very hurried shots before it zipped off into the woods.
Purple Hairstreak..JPG
Purple Hairstreak.JPG
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Re: Strange Purple Hairstreak.

Post by Pete Eeles »

Hi Mark - I've never seen anything like that. I wonder if it's an individual that's part of a mark-release-recapture analysis.

Cheer,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
mvpike

Post by mvpike »

Totally baffled by it Pete!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I saw this when you first posted and straight away thought 'mark and release' study - possibly to see if Purple Hairstreaks disperse? Had you thought about contacting Butterfly Conservation to see if they've given permission for a study of this nature or if they know of any Universities running a study on Purple Hairstreaks?

Great shots by the way, you've tempted me to make a visit :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
mvpike

Post by mvpike »

That is a pretty good idea, I may well contact Butterfly Conservation.

I found this one well away from the "usual" Purple Hairstreak hotspots at the reserve so there may be something in the survey thing. How on earth do you put a white spot on a Hairstreak wing though for goodness sake?! :lol:

Mark.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I'm not convinced it's a man made mark myself. Zooming in on the second picture you can just make out the individual scales around the edge of the white patch suggesting its a natural lack of pigment. Also if I were to do a mark and release on a hairstreak I'd be marking the underside to maximise the chances of marked ones being observed.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
dilettante

Post by dilettante »

Looking at the prominence of the veins running through the white patch, isn't just an absence of scales rather than unpigmented scales? I think we've seen things like this where wings get stuck together in the pupa or during emergence e.g. http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6446&p=63869, or maybe just the scales were worn off for some reason?
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

I tried a bit of enhancement of the area and the scale lines appear to continue under the white patch. Could it simply have been 'bombed' by a passing bird while basking with open wings?
detail from photo by mvpike
detail from photo by mvpike
PH_white.jpg (49.16 KiB) Viewed 763 times
mvpike

Post by mvpike »

A very interesting set of theories guys, thanks.

The only thing I can add is that it definitely looked like the white colouring was actually "part of the butterfly" rather than something independently applied?

Mark.

Return to “Sightings”