Adonis Blue - Favourite Photo 2015

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Adonis Blue - Favourite Photo 2015

Post by Wurzel »

Adonis Blue - Favourite Photo of 2015

Starting this week the first opportunity to showcase your favourite shots of 2015! Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As like last year details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Here we got then! :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Chris Jackson

Re: Adonis Blue - Favourite Photo 2015

Post by Chris Jackson »

Thanks for getting the show on the road, Wurzel. Sunday evening is a nice time for it :D .

Managed to get a full underside shot in the Pyrennees this June, so can't complain.
Male Adonis
bellargus5_66 male Eyne 16 Jun 2015 (1).JPG
Chris
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I only caught the tail end of the spring brood so I made an effort to get some late summer shots. This underside one stands out for me, giving just the hint of the electric blue uppers :)
Denbies Hillside, 22 August
Denbies Hillside, 22 August
Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

In the UK, the only encounter I had with this species in 2015 was on 23rd May at Rodborough Common, near Stroud.

I managed to get a male with his wings open (albeit missing an antenna):
1Adonis male upps(1).jpg
I was also fortunate to find a mating pair:
1Adonis pair(1).jpg
millerd

Post by millerd »

My favourite photos come from the best day I had with this species on 29th August on Denbies hillside. There were both fresh Adonis and Chalkhills in good numbers and you couldn't ask for more.
AB12 290185.JPG
AB13 290815.JPG
AB9 290815.JPG
AB6 290815.JPG
AB7 290815.JPG
Dave
celery

Post by celery »

Late season second broods from Aston Rowant in September.
Adonis Blue (Polyommatus bellargus) - Aston Rowant, Oxon. - 6th September, 2015
Six day weekends, one day pauses.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16155010@N04/
Nigel Kiteley

Post by Nigel Kiteley »

First brood males - Yoesden Bank - June 8th.
Adonis Blue male3.jpg
Adonis Blue male.jpg
First brood females - Yoesden Bank - June 8th.
Adonis Blue female.jpg
Adonis Blue female2.jpg
Second brood male - Aston Rowant - August 28th.
Adonis Blue200.jpg
Second brood male - Swells Hill.
Adonis Blue.jpg
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

Not too many encounters with Adonis Blue this year as I didn't visit their haunts that often, these two were taken at Martin Down on 7th June, with any luck I've got the ID correct after making a complete tit of myself last year in this part of the forum by mixing up my blues.
IMG_7055-c-r-f.jpg
IMG_7073-c-r-f.jpg
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

ayjay wrote:Not too many encounters with Adonis Blue this year as I didn't visit their haunts that often, these two were taken at Martin Down on 7th June, with any luck I've got the ID correct after making a complete tit of myself last year in this part of the forum by mixing up my blues.

Ummmmm I think your male is a Common Blue, I can see the charateristic double fringe and the blue does seem to have a violety tinge to it :? Happy to be told I'm making a complete tit of myself by suggesting this though :). Its a good picture nontheless :)
Some addictions are good for the soul!
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

bugboy wrote:
ayjay wrote:Not too many encounters with Adonis Blue this year as I didn't visit their haunts that often, these two were taken at Martin Down on 7th June, with any luck I've got the ID correct after making a complete tit of myself last year in this part of the forum by mixing up my blues.

Ummmmm I think your male is a Common Blue, I can see the charateristic double fringe and the blue does seem to have a violety tinge to it :? Happy to be told I'm making a complete tit of myself by suggesting this though :). Its a good picture nontheless :)
Thanks bugboy, maybe I should stick to Dragonflies. I was quite content chasing them until the wife got interested in Butterflies.

Either way, one of us is a tit, but at least I'm used to it. :oops:
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

My Adonis Blue photos were all of second brood seen in Dorset during what has become a regular family break down there at the end of August/early September. I saw them at Durdle Door, Bindon Hill, Durlston CP and at what has become my favourite site in the area along the path to White Horse Hill at Osmington. This year they seemed to be a bit later than usual, especially at Bindon Hill where they were still outnumbered by Chalkhill Blues on 2nd September.

Amongst the many photos that I took I particularly like these two of a male and a female from a late afternoon visit to Osmington,
Adonis Blue - Osmington 01.09.2015
Adonis Blue female - Osmington 01.09.2015
Adonis Blue female - Osmington 01.09.2015
A male underside from Osmington,
and this male from Durlston on the morning of 1st September,
Adonis Blue - Durlston CP 01.09.15
Adonis Blue - Durlston CP 01.09.15
Cheers,

Neil
Wolfson

Post by Wolfson »

P8237605.JPG
P8237535.JPG
The late August weather on the Isle of Wight was not ideal for butterflies but some Adonis Blues were firmly attached to grass stems and allowed me to get close. The weather that followed my visit was foul, I hope they are tougher than they look.
Woolfson
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Adonis Blue 07-09-25

As you can see from the date this was a second brood Adonis. It was taken on one of my final trips out at Laverstock Down and it felt like a fitting finale to a season of regular butterflying here over which time I’d managed to see all the species referred too from historical records. Luckily for me the butterfly landed and posed so nicely up the slope from where I was so I didn’t need to scrunch my head back into my neck too much in order to get the shot with the butterfly filling the frame with the sky forming the background.
083 - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
John W

Post by John W »

Shame about the crumpled right forewing on this one because otherwise I really like it..
adonis-ukb1.jpg
Malling Down, 29-08-2015
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

I'm recently back from a month in SE Asia so a bit behind the curve! My favourite Adonis shot has to be the polonus form that I saw at The Holies, near Streatley in early June.

This form is characterised by paler colour, spotting on the wing margins, and slightly later emergence than 'regular' Spring-brood Adonis.
The Holies, Streatley, Berks - 5th June 2015<br />Olympus E-M5 with 40-150 lens - 1/640s @ f/8 ISO400
The Holies, Streatley, Berks - 5th June 2015
Olympus E-M5 with 40-150 lens - 1/640s @ f/8 ISO400
Mike

Return to “Adonis Blue”