Long-tailed Blue?

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
riswey

Long-tailed Blue?

Post by riswey »

could this possibly be a long-tailed blue? Not visible in the picture but the tails caught my interest. Seen in garden today 14/8/2015 in Sevenoaks, Kent (apologies for quality of photo)
Attachments
DSC02210.JPG
NickMorgan

Re: Long-tailed Blue?

Post by NickMorgan »

Yes, definitely a Long-tailed Blue. Fantastic!
riswey

Post by riswey »

still pinching myself! Can't believe it! Thanks for the confirmation.
David M

Post by David M »

Excellent sighting!! I wonder if the recent southerly winds have brought them over?
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Looks good to me.
I see them every lunchtime in the South of France. Very common. :D
I appreciate your excitement. How lucky you are.
Chris
riswey

Post by riswey »

Ya extreme surprisal value up here!!! Most unexpected! Had casually assumed it was just an energetic one of our holly blues... POW!
selbypaul

Post by selbypaul »

Brilliant stuff, well spotted!
Pieter Vantieghem

Post by Pieter Vantieghem »

In Belgium there is an influx of long-tailed blues the last few weeks. There has been sightings at some 25 to 30 locations involving some 35 butterflies. This is more than with the influx of 2 years ago when there were sightings at some 15 locations (with some 35 sightings in total prior to 2013 in Belgium).
http://waarnemingen.be/soort/view/748
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks for the news Pieter. Please keep us updated on Long-tailed Blue activity on your patch. I know that this species has been seen in unusually high numbers in Normandy over the same period.

If it had not been for the collapse of the late summer weather, I suspect we would have seen an invasion of the UK to rank with 2013. A few have made it over The Channel, and probably a lot more than we realise, but I suspect (sadly :cry: ) that the impetus has been largely lost. However, given a couple of warm, sunny days and favourable winds, we could be in luck.

You will hopefully start seeing beautiful, fresh, home-grown boeticus in late September.

BWs, Neil
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Now confirmed as flying in Sussex. See http://www.sussex-butterflies.org.uk/sightings.html
BWs, Neil
Pieter Vantieghem

Post by Pieter Vantieghem »

Hi Neil, thanks for the update. However, on the link you post I read:
Unprecedented numbers (200+) have been seen in Belgium during August,
This is not true, most probably those numbers came from the website I posted earlier (http://www.waarnemingen.be) where people can post their observations and the numbers are a sum of all observations. Some of the long-tailed blues are however being twitched widely so the website I posted holds a lot of double sightings. For example In Ghent, just outside my work, there is a location with up to 6 long-tailed blues that have already been loaded up 60+ times to the website. The real numbers are however as posted previously, some 30 locations with some 40 butterflies since early july, most of the sightings were indeed in august. However this is still unprecedented as before the 2013 invasion Belgium only had some 35 sightings. During the 2013 invasion there were sightings at some 15 locations.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks for the clarification Pieter. Some of the detail has literally been lost in translation! Yes, I took those numbers straight from that website you linked to, not realising that it contains so many repeat sightings. However, your adjusted figure is still impressive.

The good news is that boeticus has apparently still forged northwards, despite the awful weather we have experienced here through much of August, and against unfavourable winds. We are now getting a few records of adult females at work in Sussex (and further afield) and there is some evidence that they have arrived across a wide front. I myself have seen 2 'probables' in rapid flight, but not quite firm enough to be recorded.

I'm very optimistic about seeing fresh, UKB-born 'tails' in the second half of September. I'm sure that diligent searching of some of the 2013 UK hotspots would be rewarded. I reckon the best is yet to come.

BWs, Neil
Last edited by Neil Hulme on Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

The August tally is summarised here: :D

viewtopic.php?f=110&t=8520#p102857

Vince
selbypaul

Post by selbypaul »

Neil Hulme wrote:Thanks for the clarification Pieter. Some of the detail has literally been lost in translation! Yes, I took those numbers straight from that website you linked to, not realising that it contains so many repeat sightings. However, your adjusted figure is still impressive.

The good news is that boeticus has apparently still forged northwards, despite the awful weather we have experienced here through much of August, and against unfavourable winds. We are now getting a few records of adult females at work in Sussex (and further afield) and there is some evidence that they have arrived across a wide front. I myself have seen 2 'probables' in rapid flight, but not quite firm enough to be recorded.

I'm very optimistic about seeing fresh, UKB-born 'tails' in the second half of September. I'm sure that diligent searching of some of the 2013 UK hotspots would be rewarded. I reckon the best is yet to come.

BWs, Neil
Fingers crossed for some decent late September weather to help them along. The forecast for this week and next week is very mixed
David M

Post by David M »

The current northerly winds won't help them. A nice south-easterly would be good!
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I think we might be getting some southerly winds at the start of next week with this high pressure drifting over the UK
Some addictions are good for the soul!

Return to “Identification”