Lumix FZ300

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
MikeOxon

Lumix FZ300

Post by MikeOxon »

Fans of the Lumix FZ series cameras may be interested to note that a new version of the FZ200 has just been announced by Panasonic - the FZ300. For a 'hands-on' first look, see http://www.dpreview.com/articles/106564 ... -dmc-fz300

The lens and sensor remain the same as on the FZ200 but the body is a little larger and heavier, though with improved weather-resistance. The viewfinder is also larger and with higher resolution. Many of the improvements are aimed at video users, with 4K capability and better image stabilisation.

Launch date will probably be in October and, no doubt, the initial price will be higher than the FZ200!
Testudo Man

Re: Lumix FZ300

Post by Testudo Man »

MikeOxon wrote:Fans of the Lumix FZ series cameras may be interested to note that a new version of the FZ200 has just been announced by Panasonic - the FZ300. For a 'hands-on' first look, see http://www.dpreview.com/articles/106564 ... -dmc-fz300

The lens and sensor remain the same as on the FZ200 but the body is a little larger and heavier, though with improved weather-resistance. The viewfinder is also larger and with higher resolution. Many of the improvements are aimed at video users, with 4K capability and better image stabilisation.

Launch date will probably be in October and, no doubt, the initial price will be higher than the FZ200!
Yes, Ive been following this for a few days now, it looks like this new FZ camera will be called the FZ330 in the UK?
I think most people who already own the FZ200 will not be that impressed with the new model, Im sure they will see no real reason to upgrade. Panasonic had 3 years to come up with something a little better than just using the same lens/sensor combo from the FZ200, many people were expecting either a longer lens, or a larger sensor for the new model??
If you are a new customer to Panasonic and you dont already own the FZ200, then Im sure this FZ300/FZ330 would be a great Bridge camera to buy into, it looks very impressive.

I guess one good thing could come of this, the FZ200 could drop right down in price, which would be a major bargain...and maybe, just maybe...I will upgrade from my FZ150 :wink:

Although, i have my eye on a new (old) FX camera :roll: someone has offered me a Nikon D700(at a real bargain price) with less than 4000 clicks, which would mean two things, selling my modern DX D7100...and with that in mind...no spare cash for a Bridge camera upgrade.

Cheers Paul.
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Testudo Man wrote: ... I guess one good thing could come of this, the FZ200 could drop right down in price, which would be a major bargain...and maybe, just maybe...I will upgrade from my FZ150 :wink: ..... Cheers Paul.
My thoughts, also, Paul.
Chris
(FZ150)
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

I think it is an indication of the maturity of digital image technology that the forthcoming model will have, apparently, the same lens and sensor as the three-year old FZ200 - and the sensor goes back to the FZ150! There's no longer any need to get the latest model for better image quality. If cheaper stocks of FZ200 become available, it will be a 'no brainer'.
EricY

Post by EricY »

As both my fz150's now have over 75k shutter ops I will probably upgrade to this when price is reasonable & reviews have been positive. The fz200 did not offer enough advantages for me bearing in mind cost, new spare batteries & new tc adapter tube required. Maybe the fz70/72 will also be upgraded soon for those of us who also require some long zoom.
I foresee lots of butterfly open wings shots of species who normally close wings at rest with this fz300/330 as it can do 4k video @ 30frame/sec & grab 8mp stills from it in camera, a very usefull feature. Eric
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Just in case anyone is contemplating purchasing the Panasonic Lumix FZ200 Amazon are currently 'fulfilling' orders on this model for The Camera Centre (Cardiff) for £257.99 I understand that these camera's are made in China, whereas the original 'new to the market' batch came from Japan. Recently reading Graham Houghton's (Panasonic Digicam Guru) take on this, there is a slight difference in image quality between the two versions, he has both versions and has tested them. Further to this Graham has produced a User Guide for the FZ200 which is available in print from Amazon UK for £18.99 or you can download a free PDF copy from http://www.grahamhoughton.com/download-section/ its worth a look around both his Photo Blog (for loads of useful FZ200 user tips) or checking out his very sensible approach on his YouTube channel.

As for me I'm going to invest in a nice new shiny FZ300 once they become available, hopefully this new camera will be made in Japan, my trusty FZ150 was made in Japan and has served me very well up until now... hope I'm not tempting fate now... :shock: :roll: :wink:

For £258 the Camera Centre (Cardiff) deal is a cracker regardless of where it's made :) I've enquired as to whether or not this fulfilled by Amazon purchase would be eligible for Panasonic Cashback, which I believe is currently £30, I've not yet received any feedback, I would be rather surprised if it were eligible though.

Now I'm spoiling you :P but I suppose its worth it if someone benefits :wink:

Bill :D

"When in doubt - venture out"
Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk

Return to “Photography”