Sites for Marsh Fritillaries

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
beesley

Sites for Marsh Fritillaries

Post by beesley »

Does anyone know of a site near to Peterborough?
Rosalyn

Re: Sites for Marsh Fritillaries

Post by Rosalyn »

That would be Chambers Farm Wood Lincolnshire, Little Scrubs Meadow. I haven't visited for a few years but I believe they can still be found there
petesmith

Post by petesmith »

Species is still present at Little Scrubbs Meadow - found 2 larvae there last weekend.
Gnome

Post by Gnome »

In a similar vein I'm looking for the closest good site to Oxford for Marsh Fritillaries. I understand that there are some to the west of Newbury but would very much appreciate some further information including whether they are currently flying yet etc.

TIA

Adam
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Gnome wrote:... I'm looking for the closest good site to Oxford for Marsh Fritillaries.
Unfortunately the populations on most sites that I know in the Oxon area have become extinct - some very recently - so you may have to travel further afield.

Mike
Gnome

Post by Gnome »

MikeOxon wrote:
Unfortunately the populations on most sites that I know in the Oxon area have become extinct - some very recently - so you may have to travel further afield.

Mike
Thanks for your reply Mike. I was assuming that I would have to go out of the county to somewhere like Wiltshire.

As I'm not familiar with good sites for this species in that county I was hoping for some specific site suggestions.

Adam
kevling

Post by kevling »

Adam,

Not as close to Oxford as you might like, but Strawberry Banks, nr Stroud has proved a decent stronghold for the Marsh Fritillary. No reports of them on the wing there yet though.

Regards
Kev
Susie

Post by Susie »

Where is the best site for marshies with the highest population? Does anyone know?

Thanks
kevling

Post by kevling »

Susie,

For 2013, Aberbagoed Grasslands was hard to top. They had large numbers on the wing. I believe Cerne Giant to be good too.

Regards
Kev
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Susie the site I PM'd you about is crawling with them - you'll literally not know where to point your lens first. :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
AJSteele

Post by AJSteele »

On the topic of Marsh Fritillaries going up to the oban area last week of may and wondering if there likly to still be around and any decent sites in that area?
Gnome

Post by Gnome »

kevling wrote:Adam,

Not as close to Oxford as you might like, but Strawberry Banks, nr Stroud has proved a decent stronghold for the Marsh Fritillary. No reports of them on the wing there yet though.

Regards
Kev
Thanks for that Kev, I'll give it a go. I'd love to know when they've actually been seen on the wing there so I can plan my visit, is there a web-site where I can find out?

Adam
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Adam,

Marsh Frit has been out at Strawberry Banks from at least 14th May onwards. This species will now be out on all southern sites, some of which are considered 'sensitive', so not necessarily publicised.

BWs Neil
Gnome

Post by Gnome »

Neil Hulme wrote:Hi Adam,

Marsh Frit has been out at Strawberry Banks from at least 14th May onwards. This species will now be out on all southern sites, some of which are considered 'sensitive', so not necessarily publicised.

BWs Neil
Just to let people know that I made a trip to Strawberry Banks today and was rewarded with at least a dozen Marsh Fritillaries on the wing. Nearby at Hailey Wood I even managed a few Pearl-bordered Fritillaries as well. Trip write-up here for those who are interested.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Adam

PS if visiting Hailey Wood look out for deer ticks, I found a couple of the blighters on me when I got home.
GOLDENORFE

Post by GOLDENORFE »

I will be staying near Tenby next week, any good marsh frit sites with plenty still on the wing?
David M

Post by David M »

GOLDENORFE wrote:I will be staying near Tenby next week, any good marsh frit sites with plenty still on the wing?
Caeau Ffos Fach, near Cross Hands, should do the trick, Goldenorfe. It's not the easiest site to negotiate with it being prime rhos pasture, but I daresay there'll still be a few on the wing next week.

It's a BC site which has seen numbers grow considerably over the past few years.

Return to “Sites”