BBC4: Tales From the Wild Wood

Discussion forum for books and any other media concerning butterflies.
Pawpawsaurus

BBC4: Tales From the Wild Wood

Post by Pawpawsaurus »

This six-part series, although not butterfly-specific, looks like it might be of interest from a habitat restoration standpoint.

The BBC website says: "Writer and woodsman Rob Penn begins a year-long project to bring an abandoned woodland, Strawberry Cottage Wood, back to life".

In episode 1: "Rob starts work, introducing pigs to clear bracken and brambles and planning his tasks for the year. Felling a dead tree on his first day almost throws the whole project into jeopardy."

Episode 1 is scheduled for Wednesday October 17th at 20:30, and will be repeated on Thursday and Sunday.

Paul
Susie

Re: BBC4: Tales From the Wild Wood

Post by Susie »

Thanks. I'll give that a look tonight.
Susie

Post by Susie »

Thanks for the heads up on this, I am so glad I recorded it. It was a lovely programme and ideal for a dreary Sunday.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the wood in spring and summer as the insects, flowers and birds come back.
Pawpawsaurus

Post by Pawpawsaurus »

No problem, Susie; I'm also very glad I watched it. Both times. :)

The state of the wood seemed similar to many near me - completely neglected, overgrown, dark and virtually useless from a wildlife perspective. It'll be interesting to see how much it changes by episode 6.

I've since found some more info. about the series on the Countryfile Magazine website, including some photos of what's to come. I hope someone from the Woodland Trust is watching this series.

Paul
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

I enjoyed it too. I'm sure there will be some valuable messages here - and a great way of getting them across.
Neil
Susie

Post by Susie »

We all have environments that make us feel at home. Mine is in woodland. One day I hope to buy a piece of woodland and manage it myself. That day's a long way away but it's great to watch someone else doing it in the meantime :-)
Susie

Post by Susie »

The second episode was also very good. It included meeting a man who looked like Gandalf the Grey!
Pawpawsaurus

Post by Pawpawsaurus »

Yes, Susie, I agree that episode two was also very watchable.

I didn't think that this week's was quite so good; the tree-felling 'expert' possibly wasn't quite as skilled at his job as the horse was at his.

Next week's programme is centred around the arrival of spring. so it could be interesting. Though I think RP might be unfairly trying to take credit for the appearance of Bluebells. :)

Paul
Susie

Post by Susie »

The horse was definitely the star of the show. I think I could have done a better job of cutting down those trees!

I didn't enjoy this programme as much as the other two either as it had more to do with wood production and less about the trees and wildlife there but it was still thoroughly enjoyable and my only complaint is that at a running time of half an hour the programme is too short, I would happily watch an hour's worth.

I am looking forward to next weeks immensely.
Susie

Post by Susie »

I was disappointed in today's programme although I guess I shouldn't have been as it did what it said on the tin as the programme is about make the woodland work again. I was hoping for more on the returning wildlife than just sticking up a few bird boxes and shooting some squirrels :-(
Pawpawsaurus

Post by Pawpawsaurus »

There was some nice springtime photography near the start of the programme but as you say, Susie, the series is primarily about making the wood pay for its upkeep; the wildlife attracted by the new environment, although nice to have, is almost a side-effect.

I couldn't stifle a wry smile when he mentioned that Ash saplings were being transplanted from a neighbouring wood.

And my hackles were raised when Gareth the biodiversity officer referred to Wood Anemones as Wood Anenomes. Aaargh!

It'll be summer next week ...

Paul
Pawpawsaurus

Post by Pawpawsaurus »

So that was summer. I thought tonight's programme was very similar to last week's, being more about commerce than forestry. At least the charcoal-making process was interesting. At £4 per bag it sounded quite profitable, though if no buyer could be found closer to the Black Mountains than Oxford, a fair proportion of the proceeds must have been squandered on petrol.

I'm not entirely sure I'm in favour of filling woodlands with bikers, though (provided they don't do too much damage) charging them £25 per head seems like money for old rope.

Final programme next week.

Paul
Susie

Post by Susie »

I agree. The charcol making was interesting but this programme isn't panning out quite as I had expected. It is pleasant enough though. :D
Pawpawsaurus

Post by Pawpawsaurus »

Rob Penn and Jo Binns, the owner of the wood featured in the series, appeared in an item on this evening's Countryfile.
There was no mention of the name of the wood in which they were shown working (nor any reference to Tales From the Wild Wood) but I wouldn't mind betting it was the same one.

Paul

Return to “Books, Articles, Videos, TV”