How far do meadow browns roam

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Simon C

How far do meadow browns roam

Post by Simon C »

I've been seeing a very distinctive meadow brown for the last couple of weeks in my local patch - it has largish white regions on both upper and lower sides of its hind wings - see the photos below for the appearance with wings closed. I've only got a grainy picture of it with its wings open, so I'll spare you it.

What I find surprising is that whenever I've seen it it has been within 10 meters of the spot I first saw it - and this is over a period of two weeks. Normally, I can't tell one meadow brown from another, and where there is one there are usually lots, so it is not possible to recognise individuals. Maybe because of this I don't associate them with a territory, but this one has got me wondering. Does anyone know anything about how far they roam?

Simon C

Image Image
Dormouse

Post by Dormouse »

Hi Simon,

Here's a quote from my book by Jeremy Thomas:

"By and large, the Meadow Brown is a sedentary insect, which strays from its breeding sites only when these are disturbed or are of poor quality."

Hope that helps.

DM
eccles

Post by eccles »

Interesting. I've never much thought about that aspect either as meadow browns are rather timid and never really appear to be territorial. They just go and hide in long grass when threatened.

I wonder if that snap merits an entry in the UKB abberations gallery?
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Yes it does!

Simon - could you please send me high-res images to go along with your Silver-washed Frit photo?

Thanks again!

Cheers,

- Pete

Return to “General”