Squeaky lens

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
Pauline

Squeaky lens

Post by Pauline »

As some of you might know I use a Lumix FZ38 with close up lens. Now here's the problem - if I want to remove the lens to take more distant shots it squeaks quite loudly with each turn effectively scaring off anything within hearing distance. Now I'm sure that can't be right so can other users please confirm that their lens screws on and off silently. There isn't any resistance - just noise. Can anyone suggest a remedy? I can hardly lubricate it but ir sounds like a squeaky old gate.
Neil Hulme

Re: Squeaky lens

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Pauline,
Mine squeaks too (and I suspect they all do) but I've never noticed anything being scared off by the noise. As you are removing the lens to take more distant shots (rather than vice versa) I'm surprised that this is scaring stuff at an extended range. All I can suggest is that you take a few steps away from your subject before unscrewing. I wouldn't worry too much about it and certainly wouldn't lubricate the area, as you are more likely to get particles stuck in the thread. It certainly hasn't stopped you taking some great shots recently.
Neil
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thanks Neil. Thought it was cos I'd bought it cheap on Ebay :lol: :lol: . It's not the butterflies it scares but the deer, fox, hares etc - I take photos of anything that moves :D
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Pauline,

If you have one of those 'magic shoe shiner' things, the ones impregnated with silicone, you can give the thread a gentle rub with it.
It doesn't lubricate as such so it won't attract particles to stick to it but it may help with the squeaking. We sometimes use a similar 'silicone sponge' at work to help with squeaky fixings. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, depends on the fixing. Its also an old 'fix' for squeaky leather.

I have not tried it on mine because neither the one on my FZ38, which I have passed on to my son, nor the one on my new FZ150 make that much noise to be honest.

Neil F.
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

I agree with nfreem. You might have some silicone furniture wax, of which you could put a tiny smear on a cloth (or even fingertip) and wipe round the filter threads - being careful, of course, not to get any on the glass of the lens or filter! I've had squeaky /sticky filter threads and this has cured them for me.

Mike
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you Neil and Mike. I'll certainly give that a try.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Pauline,
Ah, I see what you mean ... something other than butterflies. :!: :shock: :?: Yes, my squeaking did scare off a fox cub I was going to try and photograph last year, but only to illustrate where the very best Purple Emperor bait comes from, for a talk I was putting together.
Neil
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Hi Neil

I can supply any amount of that 'very best bait' for PE - at a cost of course :lol: :lol: :lol:
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Pauline,
:idea: :idea: :idea: You've been missing a trick here! I can't believe you've spent so much time hunting HIM at Botany Bay, without a bag-full to hand, particularly as you must potentially be one of the largest suppliers in the UK! It was only when I saw your recent post about the pet foxes that I started thinking "I must have a word before the PE season begins". I'll take a bucket-load.
Neil
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Surely the perfect thing to use would be belachan paste? - lubricates and attracts PEs.

Or that "jelly" available at the pharmacy counter might work :)

Jack

Return to “Photography”