June 2012

Discussion forum for sightings.
David M

June 2012

Post by David M »

This should be the most exciting month of the year. Many of our most precious species emerge as adults and day length is as good as it gets.

Not a great weather outlook for the next few days, but hopefully things will change rather quickly and we'll all be able to get out and about.
edgueinart

Re: June 2012

Post by edgueinart »

Went to Castle Hill this morning,Brown Argus,Common and Small Blue,Orange Tip,Small Tortoiseshell,Red Admiral,D.Skypper and small copper.

Brown Argus by JPNature, on Flickr

Orange-Tip by JPNature, on Flickr

Small Blue by JPNature, on Flickr

Common Blue by JPNature, on Flickr
Debbie

Post by Debbie »

Taking the opportunity for a walk at lunch time, I left my office and spotted these two. The small heath is certainly a first for me and I would appreciate if somebody could tell me what the blue is as I have not seen one this tiny before. Both butterflies are looking in wonderful condition. They are both so lovely. (Still practising with the depth of field etc :? )
Debbie :) :) :)
Attachments
IMG_3518 - Copy.JPG
IMG_3470 - Copy.JPG
IMG_3467 - Copy.JPG
IMG_3524.JPG
millerd

Post by millerd »

That looks like a Common Blue, Debbie. Like lots of species, they can vary quite a lot in size.

Dave
NickB

Post by NickB »

Target species for the day? The (un)Common Blue....not seen any in my local haunts so went a little further afield...
Found some lovely females at one site...
CB_f_2_low_CCCP_1st_June_2012.jpg
CB_f_3_low_CCCP_1st_June_2012.jpg
and a handsome male and some BAs at another...
CB_m_1_low_Burwell_1st_June_2012.jpg
BA_1_low_Burwell_1st_June_2012.jpg
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

With the weather cooling down a little over the last couple of days and with more clouds there has been a few more opportunities to photograph some open wing shots. At Park Corner Heath a fresh male Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary was very smart along with a female nectaring on a bluebell. Then amongst the Downs behind Lewes Adonis Blues and a bonus of 3 Scarce Forester Moths. Small Heath were everywhere and several Common Blues, inc. 2 mating pairs were also seen.
Attachments
Female Adonis Blue
Female Adonis Blue
Female Adonis Blue
Female Adonis Blue
Scarce Forester
Scarce Forester
Female Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary
Female Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary
Male Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary
Male Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Hi Badgerbob. I'd call your second female Adonis blue a female common blue, as the chequering extends only to the inner fringe, which is clearly demarcated from the outer fringe. This pattern would be very unusual in Adonis, where there is no division and the chequering is in the outer half of the fringe.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Large Skipper at Martin Down this morning along with the usual suspects and STOP PRESS I got a photo of a Greenstreak!

Have a goodun ( I did)

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

At last! Well done, Wurzel....in fact, well done for seeing any butterflies at all as the weather is set to be dreadful for the next couple of days.
adrian riley

Post by adrian riley »

News from Norfolk June 2nd

Hi, Gang. Apologies for absence but only just got broadband back after kicking BT's butt 'till my foot hurt!

Syderstone Common
2 Brown Argus, 2 Green Hairstreak, 1 Painted Lady, 1 Holly Blue
Holme Dunes
5 Brown Argus, 1 Wall Brown, 40+ Common Blue

http://www.bugalert.net for national news.

Adrian
Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

East Blean Wood on an overcast and rather cool afternoon but I managed to see six Heath Fritillaries
IMG_0025.JPG
IMG_0048.JPG
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Wurzel wrote:STOP PRESS I got a photo of a Greenstreak!
What a relief!!!! :lol:

Actually, I've not seen one this year yet.

Mike
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

Yesterday I went to a place called "The lead mines", can see full report here: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=4066&start=20 (last two posts) quite a good day with seeing Small Heath, Large White, Small White, Green-Veined White, Small Copper, Common Blue, Speckled Wood and a mystery butterfly I mentioned in my diary entry.
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
Rosalyn

Post by Rosalyn »

A cloudy day and i don't think it's going to get any better this weekend
Attachments
Speckled Wood IMG_0029.jpg
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

After a shower in Lewes the clouds began to thin so I thought I would try a favourite spot on the Downs just North of Lewes. Butterflies were generally thin on the ground with a couple of Wall Brown, several Dingy Skippers until I got to the top of the Downs when the sun came out. Suddenly Small Heath were everywhere as well as Common Blues and a mating pair of Brown Argus. On the way back down I spotted a Green Hairstreak which appeared to be ovapositing. After quite a search in the tiny plantlife I found an egg. Also seen were a couple of Burnet Companion and a mating pair of Hairy Dragonflies. On leaving the area a very fresh Speckled Wood put in an appearance.
Attachments
Mating Hairy Dragonflies
Mating Hairy Dragonflies
Burnet Companion
Burnet Companion
Green Hairstreak egg
Green Hairstreak egg
Speckled Wood
Speckled Wood
David M

Post by David M »

I wouldn't normally have gone out today, but given that the forecast for the rest of the Bank Holiday weekend is atrocious for early June, I thought I'd just give my senses a break for an hour or two on my local patch.

Heavily overcast skies meant I saw just 2 Green Veined Whites, 2 Speckled Woods and a Dingy Skipper.

A far cry from last Saturday when the sky was blue and the temperature 26c.

How long will we need to wait before we set that again? :(
NickB

Post by NickB »

Nice to see some Speckies again; I saw some similar fresh specimens, yesterday.....today was damp and overcast.... :|
Another CB male from yesterday, not quite in peak condition, but still fresh...
CB_m_2_low_CCCP_1st_June_2012.jpg
N
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Debbie

Post by Debbie »

Thanks for the ID on the blue Dave.

Our weather here is very wet, windy and cold - Went to 3 sites Saturday

and not a butterfly anywhere :(

Debbie
David M

Post by David M »

Indeed, it's thoroughly miserable. In fact, I've just turned my central heating on!

Feel sorry for the Queen. The 3rd June last year was blazing hot throughout the UK.
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

With (typical) bad weather approaching for the bank holiday weekend, the chances for me to get to see Marsh Fritillary in 2012, seem to be dwindling away. Saturday presented the best opportunity for a now or never visit to Hod Hill. And to help matters a work colleague (Clive) had the same intention which enabled us to cut our travel costs.

We parked in a wooded area on the north side of the site and made the walk up the hill (phew steep or what :o :!: ). The sky was mostly overcast and there was some unwelcome wind to contend with. When we got to a sheltered area near the top there weren't many butterflies to greet us. First sighting was a small Heath and a Common Blue.
Small Heath
Small Heath
Also seen were numerous Four-spotted and Scarce Chaser dragonflies (what chance for the butterflies( :? :wink: )). I followed the sheltered path down the west side whilst Clive went over the hill :shock: . In the sheltered areas other species started to appear, noteably the Grizzled Skipper which seem to be much more numerous this year and more approachable too :)
A less grizzly example of a grizzlie
A less grizzly example of a grizzlie
Common Blue and Adonis were fairly abundant in a little ridge hollow to the west /south-west side and I also saw my first Large Skipper and Meadow Brown of the year. Others seen were Dingy Skipper; Large White and a worn Red Admiral.
Common Blue male
Common Blue male
Adonis male
Adonis male
Bumblebee mimicking fly. Any ideas?
Bumblebee mimicking fly. Any ideas?
At around 2 hours into the visit I hadn't seen any Marsh Fritillary, but then a call from one of 'my scouts' :wink: went up, and there in the small depressions on the South Side, were the Marsh Frits :D . The sun by now had decided to show itself, so as activity picked up I stood and watched the Frits take on any and all interlopers to 'their' territory :) . These included Small Heath, Common Blue and Brown Argus as well as other Marsh Fritillaries. Frenzied combat would suddenly break off with the participants perching on a nettle leaf a few feet apart, warming up for their next bouts. Most of them were fresh looking rather than greasy winged.
Marsh Fritillary
Marsh Fritillary
Marsh Frit nectaring on buttercup
Marsh Frit nectaring on buttercup
I also got a few photos of a courting pair, the female frantically flapping her wings. After a bit of follow my leader and some close contact the male appeared to give up (or was he warded off ?)
Courting Marsh Fritillaries
Courting Marsh Fritillaries
Before meeting up with Clive (who had had less success on the Eastern side) I was able to see more Brown Argus and also Small Blue. In the end it was hunger for our (late) lunches which eventually got us to leave this excellent site :D
Brown Argus male
Brown Argus male
The day wasn't over as Clive wanted to see Bentley Wood for the first time and I was after some underside Small Pearl photos. When we arrived at the Eastern Clearing the sky had clouded over with a more permanent look about it, and all the butterfly spotters were making their way out. Nevertheless we did get to catch a few fritillaries as they settled down to roost. One Small Pearl seemed intent on 'staying out late' flying around and taking opportunity to fuel up on nectar from Ragged Robin
April Fritillary in June
April Fritillary in June
Settling down for the night
Settling down for the night
Dirty stop-out
Dirty stop-out
After finally calling it a day we made it to the Black Horse pub in West Tytherley for a pub dinner just before the rain arrived. A fitting end to an excellent day out :D :D

Return to “Sightings”