Macro lenses - which focal length?

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
GJones

Macro lenses - which focal length?

Post by GJones »

Many thanks to those who responded to my question regarding the advantages of IS/VR/OS on macro lenses. I would appreciate your thoughts on which focal length macro is the more practical for butterfly photography - i.e. 100mm f2.8 or 150mm f2.8 (APS-C camera); handheld or tripod mounted. Thanks
GOLDENORFE

Re: Macro lenses - which focal length?

Post by GOLDENORFE »

hi Merry x mas :)

i have always used a 100mm without any problem getting close enough. a few people i know use a 150 but find it heavy and most need a tripod which makes things alot more difficult when following a butterfly.
personal choice i guess , but i think a 100mm is the best overall focal length.

phil
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Post by Gruditch »

And I'm gonna go for the 150mm. :D I have tried the Canon 100mm, great lens, but too short for my liking, I sent it back and got the Tamron 180mm, and have never regretted it.

Regards Gruditch
dilettante

Post by dilettante »

I mostly use a Tamron 180 too, generally handheld or with a monopod.
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Another advocate of the longer lens here. I have used a Sigma 180 for 10 years or more, and love it.
However the new 150 Sigma really appeals.
Sadly there wasn't one under the tree this morning.

As regards hand-held, Monopod, Tripod.
Personally I now use a tripod for just about every shot. However not always on all 3 legs.
One leg down functions as a good monopod, two down give a lovely stable platform to rock back and forth in and out of focus. All three down is brilliant, but not always attainable.

If I had OS/IS/VR I would love to try some hand-held stuff just to see.....but I really think a tripod can't be beat.
I hope I can be proved wrong. It would be lovely noty to have to lug around a tripod - even if it is carbon fibre!

Cheers and seasons greetings
Cheers

Roger
Bill S

Post by Bill S »

Rogerdodge wrote:Another advocate of the longer lens here. I have used a Sigma 180 for 10 years or more, and love it.
However the new 150 Sigma really appeals.
Sadly there wasn't one under the tree this morning.

As regards hand-held, Monopod, Tripod.
Personally I now use a tripod for just about every shot. However not always on all 3 legs.
One leg down functions as a good monopod, two down give a lovely stable platform to rock back and forth in and out of focus. All three down is brilliant, but not always attainable.

If I had OS/IS/VR I would love to try some hand-held stuff just to see.....but I really think a tripod can't be beat.
I hope I can be proved wrong. It would be lovely noty to have to lug around a tripod - even if it is carbon fibre!

Cheers and seasons greetings
I've never used the shorter lengths but I often use the 150 with a 1.4x teleconverter, making a 210. And thanks for the 2 legs down on a tripod comment Roger, that had never occurred to me before.

Seasons greetings all

Bill
GJones

Post by GJones »

Merry Christmas Everybody - thanks for your thoughts on focal length. The Sigma 150mm becomes 240mm on my Canon D-SLR; minimum focus is 38cm compared with the 30cm minimum focus of the Canon 100mm (being my other option/choice - I had the Nikon equivalent) which becomes 160mm. There were occasions when additional 'reach' would have been useful.
Although I am prepared to carry a monopod or tripod, I think most of my photographs would be taken handheld. Having had some experience of using a 100mm macro, maybe I should 'try' a 150mm to see the effects of the additional weight factor before making a purchase. I am assuming that the Sigma has proven to be reliable; it certainly receives considerable praise for its IQ.
I once used a Sigma 105mm f2.8 which 'failed' on my 20D - Sigma were superb and replaced the mount and circuit (I think) and got it back to me quickly. It looks like a choice between the Canon 100mm and the Sigma 150mm. My other option could be to use the 300mm f4 with an extension ring/s?
Geoff
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

I use a Tamron 90mm but, as I get older and less 'stealthy' in my approach, I now frequently attach a 1.4x converter, which is particularly useful with smaller species. I also frequently use a 70-300mm zoom for initial shots, while waiting for the target to settle sufficiently for a close approach.

Mike
LCPete

Post by LCPete »

Old thread now but thought I'd add my thoughts
I started with the sigma 105 and then bought the 150

I found that I had to use a tripod to get Sharp shots I've probably got shaky hands!

Got some nice shots with the 150 and tripod but was missing shots setting up the tripod
when Phil showed me what he was getting with a 100mm lens I bought the 100 IS
its an amazing lens and there's not that much difference in working distance if you take into account the tripod legs :D
the IS really helps me am getting much better shots now :D

Return to “Photography”