Grayling - Favourite Photo of 2011

celery

Grayling - Favourite Photo of 2011

Post by celery »

A thread in which to post your favourite photo(s) taken in 2011 of Grayling.

Details of places, dates, times and circumstances also appreciated. Feel free to contribute observations of behaviour, personal encounters, anecdotes, anything really... you know the score by now :)
Six day weekends, one day pauses.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16155010@N04/
dilettante

Re: Grayling - Favourite Photo of 2011

Post by dilettante »

I didn't manage any very interesting Grayling shots. They're too good at making themselves inconspicuous! This was the best I managed:

31-Jul-2011. Arnside Knott, Cumbria. Sony A700, Tamron 180/3.5, 1/500s f/6.3 iso200
marmari

Post by marmari »

This was a first visit for me to Bleak Down IOW this summer,30th July,to see Grayling.Numbers seemed to be good and there was quite a bit of activity with this species.
This pic is my favourite because I was lucky enough to get an egg laying shot.
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

Taken in early August at Bleak Down Isle of Wight. Great camouflage.
Attachments
01-Pratt-Ian--P1000080.jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I went looking for Grayling for the first time this year and found them at Godshill thanks to Alan Thornbury! I used the map on his site and there exactly at the arrow tip I found my first Grayling. I really enjoyed the challenge of tarcking and stalking them and numerous times they would just disappear from view. I ended up feeling a bit stupid at times as I knew they were there, I'd watched them land...but they weren't there! That is untl you got a bit too close and they'd fly again. This was my favourite photo as it showed nicely their cryptic "plumage" (or should that be "scaleage"?)...
017 - Copy - Copy.JPG
The same butterfly being a bit more sociable...
082 - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

i'm going to cheat and it is pure self indulgence this one taken pre camera ( july 2010) so with the phone but best of all my first and only garden grayling deciding that the clothes airer was a good place to take a break. very blurry as it was taken in a hurry as only my 4th ever grayling. i was chuffed to say the least.
DSC02026.JPG
millerd

Post by millerd »

23rd July, and my first visit to Dawney's Hill in Surrey, with three boys in tow. My eldest son, who takes an interest, remembered previous Grayling encounters.

"They're the ones that settle on my legs, aren't they, Dad?"

"Yes, Toby..."

Dave
Attachments
GY5 resized.JPG
John W

Post by John W »

This shot is my favourite as it's the first Grayling I'd seen in 40 years! The last ones I saw were at Walney Island in Cumbria in the early 70's.
grayling1.jpg
Arnside Knott, 13th July 2011
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

I'd always had problems seeing Graylings in Britain (this statement may cause mirth as there are 'supposedly' many places on the coast near me where they should be). Anyway, this was completely forgotten this year when Willrow pointed out that Parc Penallta at Ystrad Mynach was virtually the 'Grayling capital' of South Wales. So the picture below was taken on the 31st July when Willrow kindly gave us a guided tour - if I remember correctly we counted over 200 and had only done about a third of the good paths of the reserve.

This Grayling was very much alive, so we weren't quite sure why we were gifted the chance to photograph it with open wings. I'm always grateful, however, for pleasant and unexpected bonuses - thanks Bill :wink: .

Michael

celery

Post by celery »

Just as many others have reported in this thread, I too have had difficulities in tracking down grayling. I finally caught up with them this year at Arnside Knott on the 26th of June. Where there was a good-sized colony on the steep scree slope just out of the car park.

An hour observing and photographing these beasties can ceratinly work wonders for your calf and thigh muscles. :)

Six day weekends, one day pauses.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16155010@N04/
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

That's a cracking image of an open-winged female Grayling from Michael :mrgreen:. I only saw a few this year, but they were well past their best, so failed to trouble the scorer.

Vince
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

My picture was taken in Southport Dunes, near Ainsdale beech. It was one of those rare days this summer up north when the weather was really hot August 22nd Goldie M :)
Attachments
Grayling ADS 22nd Aug 2011 213.JPG
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

Vince Massimo wrote:That's a cracking image of an open-winged female Grayling from Michael :mrgreen:. Vince
Thanks Vince - I'll try and send a copy to the species page tomorrow when I've had a chance to re-size etc. :)

Michael
David M

Post by David M »

Michaeljf wrote:
Vince Massimo wrote:That's a cracking image of an open-winged female Grayling from Michael :mrgreen:. Vince
Thanks Vince - I'll try and send a copy to the species page tomorrow when I've had a chance to re-size etc. :)

Michael
Michael, the trouble with you is that you're too modest.

I've been telling you for months that photo was a gem.
Simon C

Post by Simon C »

The Grayling is not a butterfly I am that familiar with. They do not occur in my local patch, and the occasional sighting near the north Somerset coast such as Brean Down always left me with the impression that the butterfly was not at home in the environment - maybe because sightings were invariably when it was disturbed on the dusty paths, and getting out of the way.

Visits to the New Forest heaths the last couple of years have therefore been a revelation and there for sure the Grayling gives every impression of being at home, and a pleasure to watch. I love Michael's image above, of the open winged individual, as it allows a study of the colours and patterns that are just an impression left when the butterfly moves in the wild.

The image below taken in August is a favourite because the background shade from the flowering heather is a reminder of the colours of the heath, and but also strangely because of the interest given by the dead stems on which the Grayling has settled.

Simon C

Return to “Grayling”