Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary - Favourite Photo of 2011

The Annoying Czech

Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary - Favourite Photo of 2011

Post by The Annoying Czech »

Being relatively new in snapping butterflies, I've met Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary only once for now - deep in the foothills valley. It was an abundant population in its 2nd brood, flying together with some Phengaris Blues.

Though I'm not 100% satisfied with background and lighting, I like how the imago is posing.

I actually registered almost or entirely no photos of the species here. So rare in the UK? Or is he considered ugly? :)

Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary (Boloria selene), Halenkov - Lusova valley, CZE *** 2011-08-02 *** Olympus E-450, 14-42 mm kit
millerd

Re: Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary - Favourite Photo

Post by millerd »

Definitely not ugly - quite the opposite! Though not rare as such, SPBF is uncommon and very local in the UK. It is generally single-brooded, except in South West England where there is a second brood in some years. Its stronghold is perhaps parts of Scotland, where there are fewer UKB members both living and visiting, which might explain the relative absence of postings!

Dave
David M

Post by David M »

SPBFs are localised but not uncommon in Britain. They're far more common than Pearl Bordered Frits but have nonetheless undergone a decline.

Personally, I find them the more attractive of the two species, with the bold black lines on the lower undersides and the heavier markings around the upperside wing edges.
Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

It is a wonderful butterfly I don't see that much, but this one was photographed in June in the Heddon Valley.....
SPBF
SPBF
:D
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Re: Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary - Favourite Photo of 201

Post by Vince Massimo »

This thread is now oficially open :) and is where you can post your favourite photo(s) of a particular species taken in 2011....................or the last time you saw one!

This is part of a series which will hopefully grow throughout the winter until all 58 British species have been covered. Three new threads will be introduced per week. Our overseas friends are welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to our rare migrants, but please try to observe the alphabetical listing :)

Details of places, dates, times and circumstances would be appreciared and please feel free to contribute observations of behaviour, personal encounters, anecdotes and other interesting points.

Vince
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

This is my favourite photo(s) of Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary which were taken back in early May at Bentley Wood. Both shots are of the same individual but I couldn't choose between them as I like them as they're different from the standard open and closed wing shots, showing the hairy faces and unusual stance.
SPBF 1.JPG
SPBF 2.JPG
I also like them as as they remind of a fantastic morning - a singing Tree Pipit to start the day followed by Pearl and Small Pearl, a strange bee moth thingy, basking lizards and a Bentley Grizzled Skipper all rounded off with my first Duke. A cracking day all round! Damn now I really am getting impatient for the season to start.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Back in April I took a drive over to the Wyre Forest especially to look for Small Pearl-Bordered Fritillaries. I was also hoping that there may have been a few Pearl Bordered Fritillaries still about but I only managed to spot one of these, a very tatty and worn looking individual.

The SPBFs were out in good numbers and I found them at 3 good spots in the forest. This was one of my first trips out with my Lumix and I was still getting used to it, took loads of photos and even managed to get a couple of reasonable ones :)

The other thing that I remember about the day was Chimney Sweeper Moths, there were hundreds of them in some of the clearings.
Small Pearl-Bordered Fritillary - Wyre Forest
Cheers,

Neil F.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

This is my favourite,(just hope it is one) I get them mixed up with the PBF :lol: Photo was taken at Gaits B in June Goldie M :D
Attachments
Small Pearl Borderd Fritillary GB 18th May 2011 038.JPG
Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

Although I now live in Surrey, Park Corner Heath, near Loughton in Sussex is my adopted site and the lone stronghold for Small pearl-Bordred Fritillary in the county. The recent acquisition of Rowland Wood, which is adjacent, is a big boost for the future prospects of the Species in Sussex and will also allow for the formal re-introduction of Pearl-bordered Fritillary. Unfortunately I do not get to visit frequently enough, but here is a typical shot from May.
Small pearl-Bordered Fritillary Male - Park Corner Heath, Sussex 27-May-11
Small pearl-Bordered Fritillary Male - Park Corner Heath, Sussex 27-May-11
Vince
johnv

Post by johnv »

Only managed to see them at one site in 2011
This is just about my favourite.
Attachments
Bentley Wood - Eastern Clearing - 31/05/2011
Bentley Wood - Eastern Clearing - 31/05/2011
Simon C

Post by Simon C »

These species-specific forums have been a great reason to go through last years photos, and have brought back many a happy memory. I can't wait for things to get underway in 2012.

This one's from Bentley Wood. I am a sucker for a butterfly posing on a sculptural piece of vegetation, and the emergence of the SPBF coincides with the unfurling of the fronds of ferns (try saying that after a few of your favourite tipple). Find the two together and you are in business. Normally I would try to avoid having something in the background, but it can't always be avoided and in this case it might even add something. I'd give this a 6 out of 10, with 10 being the photo I was hoping for!

Simon C

Return to “Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary”