A Challenge

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
MikeOxon

A Challenge

Post by MikeOxon »

In the July 2011 thread, David M wrote "The more I think about it the more I believe that 40" [species in one day] "is possible (though you'd have to get lucky with things like Clouded Yellow and late Purple Emperors)."

That set me thinking: if you included all life stages, then all 58 breeding mainland British species should theoretically be possible in one day! Imagine crawling around with a torch to get that last caterpillar as midnight approaches - and the elation on finding it!!!

It would need very careful planning to decide when to make the attempt - identifying species with a reasonable chance of finding eggs, caterpillar, or pupa, at the same time as others are on the wing.

I'm much too old for this sort of thing but one of you youngsters could take it on as a butterfly Marathon equivalent.

Mike
Gibster

Re: A Challenge

Post by Gibster »

I think you'd need a whole gang of friends on sites across the country, all with their arms pointing at the target species for that site. All you'd need to do would be to turn up and follow the pointing hands :roll:

But I think you'd struggle getting Chequered and Lulworth Skippers on the same day whilst finding time for ALL the others in between!

Fun idea though, and it definitely appeals to the loon in me. PM me when you've finalised the finer details/route/date. I'm known for my rally driving skills (I'm a twitcher, y'see!) :D

Gibster.
Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

I must admit my suggestion was a bit 'tongue in cheek' - now, if we could find a tame helicopter pilot plus all the watchers....

Mike
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

I know The Stig... :D
Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
David M

Post by David M »

Gibster wrote: But I think you'd struggle getting Chequered and Lulworth Skippers on the same day whilst finding time for ALL the others in between!

Fun idea though, and it definitely appeals to the loon in me. PM me when you've finalised the finer details/route/date. I'm known for my rally driving skills (I'm a twitcher, y'see!) :D

Gibster.
LOL! Scotch Argus, Mountain Ringlet and Large Heath would be problematic too!

I reckon 24 July would have been the optimum date this year. White Admirals and Purple Emperors would have still been about in small numbers, Brown Hairstreak, Silver Spotted Skipper and Adonis Blue were already out whilst it surely wouldn't have been impossible to find a Silver Studded Blue somewhere along the south coast. Those 6, added to the 27 I saw would make 33, and then you throw in Essex Skipper, Lulworth Skipper, Painted Lady, Clouded Yellow, Small Heath, Chalkhill Blue and Small Blue and...hey presto...you have the magic 40! :D

Of course, an off course Queen of Spain Fritillary might make it 41, 2nd brood Duke of Burgundy 42 and 2nd brood Wood White 43!!
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

:shock: Heres me feeling chuffed at managing to get 40 species so far this year :shock: :lol:

Mind you, I have managed to do that without driving more that about 75 miles from my house in the Midlands.
There were some species that I knew I wouldn't be able to see and there have been a few that I did not think I would see and yet managed to :D

Cheers,

Neil
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

Or just pop across to Finemere, they've all sorts of wonderful species present. Probably manage a few...um...extra's in there!!! And let's not forget Wrecclesham and it's frits. Glanville and Heath...so far :twisted:
David M

Post by David M »

Gibster wrote:Or just pop across to Finemere, they've all sorts of wonderful species present. Probably manage a few...um...extra's in there!!! And let's not forget Wrecclesham and it's frits. Glanville and Heath...so far :twisted:
Went to Finemere just over a week ago. No exotics to be seen, though I suppose the artificially present Heaths and Glanvilles at Wrecclesham could sneak a small 2nd brood in.

I neglected to mention White Letter Hairstreak too, so that's 46 now!

Any advance? :)
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

The easiest way to see 58 species in the same day is to visit a good butterfly house.

I'll get me coat :wink:

Michael
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

or just do moths, some can get 200 species a night in the right location :)
millerd

Post by millerd »

David M wrote:
Gibster wrote:Or just pop across to Finemere, they've all sorts of wonderful species present. Probably manage a few...um...extra's in there!!! And let's not forget Wrecclesham and it's frits. Glanville and Heath...so far :twisted:
Went to Finemere just over a week ago. No exotics to be seen, though I suppose the artificially present Heaths and Glanvilles at Wrecclesham could sneak a small 2nd brood in.

I neglected to mention White Letter Hairstreak too, so that's 46 now!

Any advance? :)
Second brood Swallowtails are out in Norfolk at the moment, I'm told... And second brood PBF and SPBF are a regular occurence in Devon.

Dave
David M

Post by David M »

millerd wrote:
Second brood Swallowtails are out in Norfolk at the moment, I'm told... And second brood PBF and SPBF are a regular occurence in Devon.
True, but the travelling between sites would preclude these species being realistically viable towards the landmark of 40.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Yes, I was wondering how that might work in practice. :D

Dave
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

It's a wet day, so I've been thinking about this again.

A few rules are clearly needed: this challenge is only for the 58 breeding British species so no moths, no tropical houses, no rare migrants. Also, no putting a few on a flight from Inverness and counting them at Heathrow Arrivals!

Gibster's idea of a few helpers is a good one that could make it all just possible. Remember that many caterpillars are active at night, so the full 24 hours could be used. I remember going on a caterpillar crawl with BC UTB and it was fascinating to see Orange Tips, Small Whites, and GvWhites crawling up the grass stems, as they 'magically' appeared at dusk! If the helpers identified roosting sites, then Skippers and Blues could also be found during the small hours.

I envisage a full 24 hour attempt with pre-identified sites. Probably, one would start in a productive area in the South before embarking on the trek up the M6/M74 for the Northern species. The timing may well be dictated by a few species that are only 'available' at specific times - another rule would have to be no digging up ants nests! - so Large Blue would dictate a narrow time window.

It gives me a good excuse to learn more about the larval stages, on which I am rather ignorant. This challenge would give equal rights to eggs, caterpillars, and pupae!

Perhaps, during the winter months, I'll think about a possible itinerary!

Mike
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

I reckon all you'd need would be to time it just right for the fully protected species to be flying, and then open the fridge door and tick off all those lovely pupae you collected earlier that year :twisted:

If anybody actually wants to throw together some sort of Operation Clear-Up for next year, I'm definitely interested. But I think a full weekend would be required...I've done plenty of 24hr bird races (for charity usually) and it's great fun if the weather and your endurance are up for it. Groups of 4 are the norm, but I've done it solo twice. Groups are definitely better.

Amazing what folks come up with when the weather's naff on your day off innit? :wink:

Gibster the Nutter.
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Gibster wrote:open the fridge door and tick off all those lovely pupae you collected earlier that year
Another rule: all species to be recorded in their natural habitat

(it's still wet out there!)

Mike
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

OK, I'm going to give this a bit of thought. I suppose Ireland is going to be out of the question? :shock:

Gibster.

EDIT. My girlfriend has just noticed the small smile on my face...always a danger sign! Sometimes you gotta love rainy day's off :wink:
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Gibster wrote:I suppose Ireland is going to be out of the question?
Now your being silly! ...... unless you've found a helicopter pilot!

Anyway, the taxonomists will probably have decided that the Cryptic Wood White is something else by then. Let's say 'mainland Britain' (inc. IoW) There's a checklist of the 58 species to be included on my website at http://home.btconnect.com/mike.flemming ... cation.htm

Mike
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

Alright, and this is just a provisional idea...

Firstly I'm basing this on Bird Race rules which I;m familiar with. Hence there would be several Teams, usually of 4 members. Any money raised will go to a suitable charity and the whole idea is to keep accurate records of what is seen where and have a load of fun in the process. Letting down the tyres of other team's cars is generally frowned upon... :wink:

So here goes...

THE RULES:
Species need to be seen in the wild and unrestrained.
Stage is irrelevent, hence egg, larva, pupa or adult is fully admissable.
Species cannot be translocated from site to site.
All members of a team need to connect for the species to count.
On site 'helpers' allowed to point teams at selected target species wherever deemed useful (but see Rule 1)
A detailed itinerary needs to be made available to a centralised body before starting.
A detailed account of the day to be presented to said body immediately after the event.
A report to be produced and ready for UKB publication within a week of the event.
Each group to plan their route in secrecy from any other groups also attempting this challenge.

And that's as far as I've gone so far. Lunch is ready so I'm off!

Gibster.
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

I expected that some nutter [quote] on this forum would take me seriously. Good luck. I shall be at the Start line to wave you off.

Mike

Return to “General”