Big Butterfly Count

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
millerd

Big Butterfly Count

Post by millerd »

Has anyone else had a look at the results from the Big Butterfly Count? These can now be found on their website - I only dipped in, and as a random example the distribution of Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary sightings was unusual...
http://www.bigbutterflycount.org/results
I was particularly intrigued by the record of 120 of this species seen at Ottershaw near Woking in Surrey. At the end of July too! So I didn't need to have trekked down to Bentley Wood after all...

If this is anything to go by, there is going to be a tremendous amount of spurious data in there.

Dave
Butterflymax

Re: Big Butterfly Count

Post by Butterflymax »

I've only managed to find a Top Ten of the Big Butterfly Count results so far. Is a Top 59+ published online anywhere? The Top Ten was published in The Daily Telegraph, and it was mentioned that at least one Camberwell Beauty had been sighted, but even on the 'Count's website I can only find the Top Ten. I do wonder how many butterflies might have been incorrectly identified, especially as I have only recently spotted and photographed my first Meadow Brown. More common than a Speckled Wood? Certainly not in the Warwickshire area! Incidently, where can I find a list of the official 59 resident species in Britain? The list on the left side of the homepage contains over 70 highlighted in green. Is the Large Tortoiseshell still officially on the list? What about rare migrants such as the Monarch or the aforementioned Camberwell Beauty? I'm a bit of a novice, but I'd like to set myself the task of photographing all 59 in my lifetime (nevermind a year!), but to do so I need to know which 59 it is! :?:
A_T

Post by A_T »

Large Heaths spotted all over the south of England apparently :D
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Large Heaths spotted all over the south of England apparently
and PEs at Minehead, Bude and Newton Abbot?
I don't think so.

Looks like a waste of time and effort on someones part.

Shame really.
Cheers

Roger
Butterfly Gardener

Post by Butterfly Gardener »

In terms of recording data perhaps it was a waste of time. But consider the publicity that comes with it, the more people get involved in butterfly watching the better. It was an excellent way to get the general public involved and hopefully may promote a continued interest in butterflies amongst some of those who took part.
A_T

Post by A_T »

Agree with Butterfly Gardener. The "data" collected is useless - but at least it got people interested in butterflies who would normally take no notice.
David M

Post by David M »

I think there has to be serious doubt over many of the sightings, though as others have said, at least it has attracted publicity to the cause of butterfly conservation.

For instance, in the Isle of Man, Large Skippers, Hedge Browns and Speckled Woods have been 'recorded' even though none of them are resident species.
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

I've had a look at the data local to me on that site. The vast majority of it looks perfectly plausible to me - common species being where common species are meant to be, and more local species like Silver-washed Fritillary being recorded on known sites. There are the odd misidentifications, but even where they occur there is usually a plausible explanation and often recorded with other species likely to occur on the site - the Large Heaths recorded half a mile away are presumably Meadow Browns, seen among ten or so other species likely to be found in the location.
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Scientifically this survey is without value.
As you say, you have to discount sightings that are obviously wrong.
But, what makes a sighting wrong?
It is that it doesn't tally with the information we already have.
Once you remove all the data that doesn't tally with what we already know, what are we left with?
We are left with just the information we already have, and the survey has added nothing.
Indeed the remaining data has to be questionable.
If observers are putting Small Blue on Exmoor, Scotch Argus in many sites in the south of England, and Large Heath in Somerset, how can we trust the Small White sighting isn't geen veined? Or the Gatekeeper a Meadow Brown, or the Silver-studded Blue not a Common Blue?

Sure it is great to raise the profile of butterflies amongst the public, which can only be a good thing - or can it?
Cheers

Roger
David M

Post by David M »

I think the main problem is when ordinary wildlife enthusiasts encounter species outside the regularly spotted ones.

Red Admirals, Peacocks, Small Tortoiseshells, Painted Ladies and Brimstones are well known, but how many people would be able to genuinely tell the difference between a Meadow and a Hedge Brown?

I highlighted the Isle of Man because it is a particularly good example of a place where non-migratory species such as Large Skipper should definitely NOT be seen. Similarly, Speckled Woods and Hedge Browns which ARE more mobile are unlikely to traverse 60 mile stretches of ocean, so I think it is safe to say that people with the best intentions are simply getting mixed up.
A_T

Post by A_T »

I was surprised that the Ringlet made the top 10.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Butterflymax wrote:... where can I find a list of the official 59 resident species in Britain? The list on the left side of the homepage contains over 70 highlighted in green. Is the Large Tortoiseshell still officially on the list? What about rare migrants such as the Monarch or the aforementioned Camberwell Beauty? I'm a bit of a novice, but I'd like to set myself the task of photographing all 59 in my lifetime (nevermind a year!), but to do so I need to know which 59 it is! :?:
Hi Max,

The list can be found in the "chasing the British butterflies" presentation (found under Resources - Reports - Presentations).

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
bob parsons alberta

Post by bob parsons alberta »

Newbie here, have been lurking around here for quite a while! Interesting views here on mis-identification, witness it here from time to time and look at the big number of species/sub species here in Alberta!
A few years ago, a U of A prof tried to set up butterfly counts in Alberta but the problem was not enough volunteers with basic knowledge to go around. What counts there were made for some great insight/reading but it did not last long and coordinator gave up, due to general lack of interest.
We have some amazing habitat here in W Canada. I tend to concentrate on the Rocky lowlands as well as the fen and sandhills in my area of Edmonton. I collect for some researchers here as well but only specific species.

Thanks,
Bob Parsons,
Edmonton Nature Club.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Great to have some input from Canada. :D Went to Toronto a few years back and enjoyed a very warm reception from the local Lepidopterists. You would always be welcome to see (but not collect :? )some UK species with some of us should you visit, no doubt. :D :D I wonder how much unspoilt habitat you have in your part of the world?
bob parsons alberta

Post by bob parsons alberta »

I live in Edmonton, 3 hrs drive east of the Rockies and 5 hrs south of oilsands. I do surveys/counts in the local fens and sandhills around here, as well as visiting the area close to Rockies.
Down south on Montana border, I do 2 bird counts. habitat is badlands, coulees, native grasslands etc. Great butterflying area too, naturally. What little collecting I do is specific species which I pass onto U of A for further study. We have numerous subspecies here in AB as well as BC, so mass confusion at times. Especially sulphurs and certain frits!

*** in the Links section, I have just posted on an electronic atlas of BCs wildlife, including butterflies naturally.

Bob P.
Edmonton Nature Club.
http://www.enc.fanweb.ca

Return to “General”