Newton Links, Northumberland

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
Wayne

Newton Links, Northumberland

Post by Wayne »

Today I popped up to Newton Links in Northumberland. The North Britain group of the Butterfly Conservation were there to meet for a walk about. :)

The weather was a bit overcast and a little drizzle of rain at first, but it soon got brighter and the sun did come out eventually!

Spotted many Small Heath and Common Blues and around 50 Dark Green Fritillaries (the reason for my visit). Spotted one Red Admiral and a Small Tortoiseshell in the car park on the way home too.

The Fritillaries were a nightmare to get close to, took over an hour and lots of patience!

Here is a couple of shots I took (some more on my website):

Dark Green Fritillary:

Small Heath:

Im popping down to Bishop Middleham Quarry later this week so I'll have more photos then ;-)
Wayne
Woundsinger

Post by Woundsinger »

Lovely shots..
And I like your website...
Will keep an eye on it..:) 8)
eccles

Post by eccles »

Very nice. Look forward to the sequels.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Went to Bishop Middleham Quarry today, alas it was a bit overcast. Really nice place though.

I did manage to get a few shots of some Ringlets, here is one of the reasonable ones. (I just couldnt obtain the depth of field I wanted with it being overcast):

Also flying was Meadow Browns, Common Blues, Small Skippers, and I did see a couple of Small Heaths.

No Northern Brown Argus though :-(
I think I'll head to Blackhall Rocks tomorrow (hey I might as well take advantage of the time off work!)

Here is a shot of a small skipper from yesterday at Cleadon, South Shields, I love the backlight showing the veins:

As usual some more on the website :-)
Wayne
eccles

Post by eccles »

I like the skipper too. It's unusual to be able to get right down to eye level like that.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Finally found the Northern Brown Argus at Bishop Middleham quarry in Durham.

All the ones I seen were a bit battered, and my photos of it are not great but it was still a nice feeling spending hours looking and finally finding it!

Witnessed a Small Heath laying eggs too which was interesting :-)
Wayne

Post by Guest »

Hi Wayne,

Great photography, also loved your web site, amazing clear close-ups.

Curious was the Jalbum really free and easy to use - how do you go about up loading it on to the web?
Gwenhwyfar
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Gwenhwyfar »

Sorry that last post was from me, not used to this forum yet.

Return to “Photography”