Early morning photography

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
Polly

Early morning photography

Post by Polly »

Now I know this may sound like a daft question but it comes from a newbie :roll:

During the Photographic Workshop today (organised by Pete, Mike Young and the Hampshire BC) a number of people suggested that the easiest time of day to photograph butterflies was in the early morning before it was warm enough for the butterflies to fly. Obviously the weather conditions play a huge part as to when the day is warm enough for flight, but in general terms, would this time be shortly after dawn (on a hot Summer's day)? Or are we talking about a few hours after dawn? In other words, do I have to get up really early or only a little early or not early at all :?:

Thanks

Polly
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Re: Early morning photography

Post by Gruditch »

It's not too early Polly, I would say that even in a hot day, most butterflies don't get that active till about 9am :D

Gruditch

PS. Did you think that Pete had put some weight on :roll:
Chris

Post by Chris »

Gary's right Polly.

In my limited experience, different species behave differently, but their behaviour can be predicted so you don't have to spend either hours searching, or hours awake in vain!

Take blues for example... albeit common, silver-studded, brown argus, chalkhill, etc, I find the rule is generally the same. They do not emerge at first light but wait instead for the first rays of the sun. So, if you know of a site where they fly, get their just before the sun breaks over the horizon (it might have been light for 2-3 hours already... a bit of trial and error will give you the correct time and it will vary at different sites due the lie of the land). As the sun peeps over the horizon, it will illuminate a thin band of the site , warming it up. This is where most of the butterflies will have been roosting. They then climb to the top of the grass stems they've been sitting on, warm up and begin flying! You've got about 20 minutes with each butterfly before it gets warm enough to fly. However, in that 20 minutes, a new band of the site will have been illuminated and the butterflies there will only be beginning to warm up, so you can go and set up again. Depending on the size of the site and the geography, this caould give you an hour to practise your tripod skills!

Sorry to ramble, I hope this makes some sense! In answer to your question... you don't have to get up as early as first light, but make sure you're there before the sun breaks the horizon.

Chris
With Kind Regards

Chris
http://thrintoftpatch.blogspot.co.uk
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

I have a few experiences with this. I caught dark green fritillaries at 3-4pm and they would not sit still long enough for a shot, that was back in August last year. Finding them before they have a chance to warm up would be a better thing to do.

Also, good time to see common blues is when they crawl up things like grass stalks to get closer to the sunlight and bask. I noticed this when I was chasing the Dark greens around, and noticed 2 common blue male chasing a female dark green away, that would have made a good shot if I had got it.

On colder days when certian species break from their hibernation to bask in the sunlight (like red admirals), I was told the best time to see them would be before 1pm if there was any around. I might have seen one in early January at this time, but it began to hail not long after and could not stick around to see.

I have noticed in this in a few areas where Holly blues are found, as soon as its warm enough they start flying about. I noticed this last spring (around start of April or about), I went to this site around 11am and started seeing Orange tips about then at around 12-1pm I saw holly blues around this holly bush in the area.
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE »

I definitely prefer early morning or late evening. Last year I had great success with blues just after sunrise (around 6am). Cold and inactive, often covered in dew and with superb bright lighting. If you have a good site with lots of shady areas, you can have several hours of this as the sun hits different parts of the site as it rises above the trees, hedgerows etc. :)

Grey days can be good any time of day also as the butterflies are colder and less active.

Another great one is partially cloudy days. When the sun is out they are all over the place but often freeze as soon as the sun goes behind a cloud. I recall my first orange tip (after many fruitless days chasing them!) was photographed this way. I just followed one for a few minutes until a cloud came over and it settled almost instantly and closed it's wings. It was then so docile I could pick the thing up without it attempting to fly off. Got a few shots and then within 10s of the sun coming back off it was off again.

Basically any insect is easier to photograph when it's cold. I use very similar methods for dragonflies too.

I have also found that for some species when it is extremely hot they can also slow down. Didn't get much chance to test that theory here last summer! Not sure if others have noticed this?

Also, the habits of some species change through the day. Middle of the day seems to be pairing up day for some species, blues especially. Egg laying time for others. These are also situations where the butterflies are a little easier to photograph. Pairing up especially so.

A Brown Argus taken at 7am last summer:

Polly

Post by Polly »

Wow! What a stunning image FISHiEE :D

Thank you for all your comments and advice. Now I just need the right weather and enough time to practice..... Can't wait!

Polly
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

hey FISHiEE that is a brilliant photo !!

you must put it in to one of the competitions soon :!:

charles
Martin

Post by Martin »

That is one of the most visualy stunning images I've ever seen!

Martin.
FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE »

Thanks for the kind comments. I'm just waiting for the 'Butterflies and water' category ;)

Might give a few of you guys an incentive to get up early :)

I have loads of them but this is probably the most impressive. I think mostly because the species so small it makes the dew drops look that much bigger than say on a chalkhill blue which I was actually there to photograph.

I only learnt of this last autumn so I'm going to be photographing them early a lot this year that's for sure. Only trouble is it will interfere with my other passion of fishing for which dawn is also the best time.

I guess I can't have everything...
Chris

Post by Chris »

wow! roll on May.
With Kind Regards

Chris
http://thrintoftpatch.blogspot.co.uk
Roger Gibbons

Post by Roger Gibbons »

It is indeed a stunning photo, the type which wins photographic competitions. So no doubt everyone's entries in forthcoming competitions will be covered in dewdrops!

I suspect it's actually a female common blue rather than a brown argus. I think this question has been raised before on this site.
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

suspect it's actually a female common blue rather than a brown argus
I agree.
Adrian Riley illustrates this really well in his superb new book.
I am sure he won't object to a selected scan here :wink:

Roger Harding
Attachments
CB BA Comparison_02.jpg
CB BA Comparison_02.jpg (109.26 KiB) Viewed 2724 times
Cheers

Roger
FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE »

Actually I must admit I wasn't 100% sure it was a brown argus. It was amongst a load of chalkhill blues and a lot smaller, so Brown Argus was my guess. I should look to improve my ID skills for this year. Perhaps I need to get hold of Adrian's book

Thanks for pointing this out :)
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Perhaps I need to get hold of Adrian's book
When you order it, get his "Rivals & Arrivals" at the same time.
Pete raved about it last weekend, and I got it on the strength of that.
As a retired 'Twitcher', I am finding it absorbing reading.
There is some butterfly content as well. :wink:
Roger Harding
Cheers

Roger
Denise

Post by Denise »

Rogerdodge wrote:
Perhaps I need to get hold of Adrian's book
When you order it, get his "Rivals & Arrivals" at the same time.
Pete raved about it last weekend, and I got it on the strength of that.
As a retired 'Twitcher', I am finding it absorbing reading.
There is some butterfly content as well. :wink:
Roger Harding
I have just ordered my copy too. Will give me something to do until this blasted rain stops! Roll on spring. I can't wait to get F8 and out there :) with a tripod,tripod,tripod no less. I've been practicing on my wallflowers and aubretia and by jove I think I've got it.

Denise
FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE »

Had sunshine here in Kent. Saw my first Comma of the year and Common Lizard :)
SimonC69

Post by SimonC69 »

Chris wrote:Gary's right Polly.

In my limited experience, different species behave differently, but their behaviour can be predicted so you don't have to spend either hours searching, or hours awake in vain!

Take blues for example... albeit common, silver-studded, brown argus, chalkhill, etc, I find the rule is generally the same. They do not emerge at first light but wait instead for the first rays of the sun. So, if you know of a site where they fly, get their just before the sun breaks over the horizon (it might have been light for 2-3 hours already... a bit of trial and error will give you the correct time and it will vary at different sites due the lie of the land). As the sun peeps over the horizon, it will illuminate a thin band of the site , warming it up. This is where most of the butterflies will have been roosting. They then climb to the top of the grass stems they've been sitting on, warm up and begin flying! You've got about 20 minutes with each butterfly before it gets warm enough to fly. However, in that 20 minutes, a new band of the site will have been illuminated and the butterflies there will only be beginning to warm up, so you can go and set up again. Depending on the size of the site and the geography, this caould give you an hour to practise your tripod skills!

Sorry to ramble, I hope this makes some sense! In answer to your question... you don't have to get up as early as first light, but make sure you're there before the sun breaks the horizon.

Chris
Sorry to bump this thread, but as a bit of a "newbie" (or at least someone who intends to get a lot more serious about Butterfly photography this year) threads like this, and this reply in particular, are extremely useful.
I'll continue to search and digest every bit of advice/tips/tricks I can find in this forum (though if someone wants to collate a beginner's 'bible' thread I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one to appreciate it :D )
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

SimonC69 wrote:Sorry to bump this thread, but as a bit of a "newbie" (or at least someone who intends to get a lot more serious about Butterfly photography this year) threads like this, and this reply in particular, are extremely useful.
No need to apologise - it's an interesting thread and one I'd not seen before, because it pre-dates my own time on here!

There are many different ways to approach butterfly photography - I quite enjoy the thrill of the chase, when they are active! I also have a coffee-mug with the caption "I think I'm allergic to mornings". The other end of the day can be good, too, especially if you watch for them heading to roost.

Mike

Return to “Photography”