Odd one out

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Simon C

Odd one out

Post by Simon C »

I have enjoyed many close encounters with some wonderful little critters this year - below are a few that bring back many happy memories.

I reckon one can be described as an odd one out. Any suggestions? Probably there are many possible answers ....

Simon

Martin

Post by Martin »

Many answers indeed, but I'm going for the Brimstone. They are all on fingers except the Brimstone...he's n your thumb :D

Martin.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Odd one out the SS Skipper, because all the others could be seen in June?
Dave Mac

Post by Dave Mac »

Its the mating pair, all the rest are single
Dave
Simon C

Post by Simon C »

I didn't have any of these in mind.

The SSS is also on my thumb - I remember the moment well, as I carried it sat on my hand about a hundred meters down the slope to show Sarah, who was sat reading a book - as she does when I get distracted. It wasn't even concerned when we were passed on the path by a moped being steered by a dog - I kid you not!

The pictures were not all taken in June, but Chris, you may be right that all but one could have been. Afraid I am not expert enough to know.

The mating pair is certainly a correct answer to the question but not the one I had in mind. A bit obvious, maybe!

Any other suggestions? I'll tell you *my* answer on Monday :D

Simon
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

Could it be the way the Small Heath is resting? It looks kida different than the others or the large moth below the common blue as its bigger than all other species?
Last edited by Dave McCormick on Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
Paul

Post by Paul »

I would venture that they are all UK species except the right hand side Frit which looks like Shepherd's to me, making that the odd one out.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

What a lovely record of a year!

I'm with Paul about the odd man out - and I agree it looks like shepherd's frit. I'd be interested to know where you photographed it to aid my understanding of the difference between this and mountain frit. It looks like ssp. pales to me. It's certainly nothing like the very linear forms I see around me in western Switzerland, but I have seen similar forms to yours further east. I have also seen quite macular forms in the Pyrenees, despite the picture in Tolman!

Guy
Simon C

Congrats!

Post by Simon C »

Well done Paul! Spot on. The right hand fritillary was photographed in Switzerland during the summer, and I also have it down as Shepherd's, although I half expected to find myself having to revise my opinion once some of the more knowledgeable forum users got to work. The SSS encounter was also in Switzerland, but the species can also be found in the UK.

Dave, you are right to notice that the Small Heath has adopted a strange pose. I believe it is due to the fact that it was really really cold at the time, and windy. It was very keen to walk from the grass stem onto my finger, presumable because of the extra warmth, but then kept well tucked in.

Guy, the picture below should help you ID the location. It shows Sarah checking out the next days hike - not! I can be more specific if you wish. Just ask. Also below is the underside if that is of any interest. It's doesn't look exactly like the ones in the French chaps book, which is why I was only 90% confident about Shepherd's. But from your comment it sounds like varations exists.

Simon

Return to “General”