Whitbarrow - Brown argus!

Discussion forum for sightings.
nick patel

Whitbarrow - Brown argus!

Post by nick patel »

2 weekends ago, we made a visit to Whitbarrow NNR, and saw loads (4 Fritillary species, etc). But one thing we found in a scrubby area was an Argus, which i took a few pics of, and we walked away thinking it was a Northern brown argus, but when we got home and compared pictures, it turns out that it was a Brown Argus. This is pretty north for a Brown argus, and i'm not sure if it has been seen up here before. I know they have been spreading northwards rapidly. Attached is one of the pictures of this Brown argus, and there is a full report and more pics of Butterflies on my Blog:

http://www.nickswildlifeblog.blogspot.com/

I have compared this Brown argus with Northern brown argus and Common blue in "Lewington's "Pocket guide to the Butterflies of Great Britain and Ireland"". Also i used this webpage, it is very useful, and with the picture attached i am sure you will be able to compare easily - even though the picture is not of the highest standard:

http://www.glaucus.org.uk/BflyBlues03.html

Thanks,

Nick.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Hi Nick,

I must admit, I'd lean towards this being a Northern Brown Argus, primarily based on geography. As far as I'm aware, the only potential locations where overlap might occur are in the north east.

Cheers,

- Pete
sidwemn

Post by sidwemn »

Hi,

As Peter says, Brown Argus and Northern Brown Argus are getting very close in range in the North East but I don't quite think they over lap just yet.

We have now had 3 or 4 records of Brown Argus on Teesside in the last few years including one I found on the steelworks where I work on 30th May this year (see photo below). I think these are the most northern records yet. The nearest Northern Brown Argus are in Co.Durham, about 10 miles further north.

Cheers

Martyn
nick patel

Post by nick patel »

Thanks,

Nick.
wclinch

Brown or Northern Brown

Post by wclinch »

I took this photo of a argus also on Whitbarrow Scar on 9th July 2007. Unfortunately I did not get any underwing shots. This was the first and only argus I saw in a 5 day Cumbria trip. I assume that this was a NBH but would be interested to here any opinions.

Wayne

Paul

Northern Brown Argus

Post by Paul »

I live near Richmond, N Yorks, & last year had agestis 2nd brood x2 in an adjacent field....

and we have a colony of artaxerxes 3 miles west.... too close for comfort if you ask me.

Return to “Sightings”