Small torts on the up?

Discussion forum for sightings.
eccles

Small torts on the up?

Post by eccles »

This once common species has been decidedly scarce around my area these last few years, I think due to parasitic predation of larvae. But I've seen more of these this year including a few in and around my local patch. Then two days ago, nipping out from home between showers, I spotted this pristine example (female I think?) that has almost certainly bred locally. It's only when you think that you might lose something that you realise how important, and beautiful, it is. Hopefully, they are on the way back.
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

I my area they are on the rise. Big style. I a cycling up road and almost run over one. Pass another two and a third. Go down to this other area and see about 5-6 fluttering and walk along long grass and almost stand on 2-3 I did not see.

On other end of where I live I saw around (roughly) 10 at one trip. (mostly different as many had tattered wings and I could see differences)

I have also seen many fully grown caterpillars of them not long ago and released 7 adults from ones in my garden a while ago. This is a good sign. I have got more pics of this butterfly over past while than any other as its becoming so common near my house.
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
Martin

Post by Martin »

So far this year I've seen 3 definates and 2 possibles :(

Martin.

Gwenhwyfar
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Gwenhwyfar »

Managed to see one today at Martin Down.

And have seen two others around the village, but thats about it.
Deer Stalker

Post by Deer Stalker »

Saw one at Badbury rings yesterday.
Simon C

Post by Simon C »

Starting last week I've been seeing large numbers of Tortoiseshell -relatively speaking, of course. At least a dozen when walking between Stantonbury Hill and Weston on Saturday.

Still outnumbered by Commas, mind, which seems a recent thing around here.

Simon

Return to “Sightings”