Large Heath at Fen Bog

Discussion forum for sightings.
David Tipping

Large Heath at Fen Bog

Post by David Tipping »

A small number of Large Heath were on the wing at Fen Bog (North Yorkshire) today. Also a Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary.

DJT
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

As someone who once tried, and failed, to find Large Heath at Fen Bog, you have my utmost admiration :)

Good find David - I guess Large Heath have only just emerged there?

Cheers,

- Pete
David Tipping

Post by David Tipping »

As you say Pete I think they were among the first to emerge. There weren't many in evidence but I believe I saw at least 3 individuals. I can understand why you failed to find them; it took me most of the day and it's hard work yomping through the puddles and the heather!
DJT
sidwemn

Post by sidwemn »

I had my first early Large Heath (a single) at Fen Bog on Sunday 10th June, together with one Small Pearl. They were hard work though! Any sign of Dark Green Frits there yet Dave?

Bye the way, nice shots Dave

Cheers
Martyn
David Tipping

Post by David Tipping »

Thanks Martyn, you were well ahead of me with a sighting on June 10th! No sign of DGF - I was hoping one or two might be on the wing because I saw a few in North Wales on June 11th, but it is obviously still too early at an upland site such as Fen Bog.

Thanks for the compliment about the photos, which were taken with my new Canon 400D and Sigma 150mm. After a few teething problems I think I'm starting to get the hang of it.
DJT
sidwemn

Post by sidwemn »

Hi Dave,

I'm very envious of your Sigma 150mm.

A quality macro is probably the next item on my shopping list. Considering this year I've bought a Canon 400mm F5.6L lens, a battery grip and a 580ex flash. I think a macro lens will have to wait. In truth, when I do get one I'll probably go for the 150mm Sigma. Maybe Christmas!

Cheers
Martyn
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

......when I do get one I'll probably go for the 150mm Sigma.
A wise move. I have had a Sigma 180 EX Macro since my 35mm days.
It is a fabulous lens, razor sharp, and excellent contrast, but.... it is now a little long for the digital format. Camera shake is more noticeable at the now longer working distances.
I did try the Canon 100mm Macro, but found it too short for the warier insects, although fabulous for those you could get close to. If money were no object I would get a 150mm tomorrow, but I have also bought a long lens this year (Sigma 500mm f4.5 - stunning piece of glass) and the Boss would not understand!!
Roger Harding

Return to “Sightings”