Caterpillar of the Scarce swallotail

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
Sylvie_h

Caterpillar of the Scarce swallotail

Post by Sylvie_h »

I have been observing the development of the caterpillar of the scarce swallowtail for the last weeks (Rhone valley, France). To my surprise yesterday and in the space of 2 days, the caterpillar had developped some black spots to look like the leaves of prunus on which it feeds (I assume anyway). Here are some photos to document this :

Photo 1 taken on 15/08 :
Scarce_swallotail_4568_Carriere_Vienne_2024.JPG
Photo 2 and 3 taken on 17/08 :
They are all of the same caterpillar, it had moved a little bit on the branch during the day.

I really find amazing how it adapts to its environment and wonder if the caterpillars of the first or second generation do develop the same black spots at a later stage.
It blends very well in its environment and I saw some wasps species (Polystes and hornet wasps including the asian species) going past the caterpillar without seing it but for how long? I found 3 caterpillars of the Scarce swallowtail on another prunus on 15/08 but when I checked the tree on 17/08, I could not find them anymore...
Sylvie
Attachments
Scarce_swallotail_4614_Carriere_Vienne_2024.JPG
Scarce_swallowtail_4619_Carriere_Vienne_2024.JPG

Return to “Overseas”