Children's Book

Discussion forum for books and any other media concerning butterflies.
Charles Nicol

Children's Book

Post by Charles Nicol »

at the local car boot sale this morning i was delighted to find a copy of "Peter's Butterfly Friends" for 50p.

this charming little book dates from 1947 and has many delightful illustrations. rather like the ladybird "what to look for" pictures.

you can see from this advert on ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/226286207040

Charles

8)
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Children's Book

Post by Padfield »

I think I have to find a copy of this for my collection ! It's beautifully written and really lovely.

It's interesting that almost all the butterflies (the exceptions being the undersides) are painted from collections, in the pinned position, as if that were what butterflies look like in nature ! The ladybird book, which I have (it was my first butterfly book), portrays at least some of the insects in more natural postures.

One of the paradoxes of today's youth is that we have never had a more environmentally conscious generation and at the same time, perhaps never had a generation more ignorant of natural history. It astounds me when I watch things like University Challenge, how many super-bright young things can't tell a blackbird from a raven or an ash from a sycamore. We desperately need the modern equivalent of Peter's Butterfly Friends !

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
David M

Post by David M »

Padfield wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 2:54 pm...One of the paradoxes of today's youth is that we have never had a more environmentally conscious generation and at the same time, perhaps never had a generation more ignorant of natural history...
Ain't that the truth!

This, sadly, will feed through most negatively in 20+ years or so.

Glad I won't be here.
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

Padfield wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 2:54 pm I think I have to find a copy of this for my collection ! It's beautifully written and really lovely.

It's interesting that almost all the butterflies (the exceptions being the undersides) are painted from collections, in the pinned position, as if that were what butterflies look like in nature ! The ladybird book, which I have (it was my first butterfly book), portrays at least some of the insects in more natural postures.

One of the paradoxes of today's youth is that we have never had a more environmentally conscious generation and at the same time, perhaps never had a generation more ignorant of natural history. It astounds me when I watch things like University Challenge, how many super-bright young things can't tell a blackbird from a raven or an ash from a sycamore. We desperately need the modern equivalent of Peter's Butterfly Friends !

Guy
i was delighted to spot this at the CBS. it is available on Abebooks as well as ebay. there are several other books about Peter's natural history interests.... Peter's Insect Friends/Bird Friends etc.

young folk nowadays do not spend much time catching sticklebacks in jamjars like we did in the olden days :wink:

University Challenge has finally got under way today :D
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

young folk nowadays do not spend much time catching sticklebacks in jamjars like we did in the olden days :wink:
Why bother? They can see them on their smartphones :evil:

Jack
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I had a splendid education with Sticklebacks. One day, when I was aged about five, I made a bumper catch and I proudly took them home in a jam jar. Next morning, they were all dead.

With a bit of help from mum who, while not well educated (she left school at 15), was very smart. We realised that although fish live in water, they still need ‘air’ (oxygen) to breathe. I hadn’t known that, so unintentionally killed scores of Sticklebacks.

Jack
Roger Gibbons

Post by Roger Gibbons »

Charles Nicol wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2024 9:32 pm University Challenge has finally got under way today :D
We are just catching up on the rounds that we recorded, just watched semi-final 1 from the last series.

As the rounds progress, the questions get harder and the knowledge of the contestants is just mind-blowing.

There was one question on a classical music piece which they failed to get right - it was by one of the great unknown composers, Aram Khachaturian. It was the only question we knew that they didn't, which in itself was amazing.

Guy, do you recall the conversation we had while going up a rack and pinion railway (to Bretaye?) and I think you said you had not heard of him?

Roger

Return to “Books, Articles, Videos, TV”