North West Wales in June

Discussion forum for field trips and any other events.
bugboy

North West Wales in June

Post by bugboy »

So in mid June I shall be spending a few days based in Llandudno primarily to explore the Great Orme peninsula and it's couple of specialities. However, if I am lucky enough to get more than an afternoon of sunny weather does anyone know of any other sites within reach that might be worth exploring. Other species I was hoping I might come across would be SPBF and Large Heath, although I suspect I may be a little too far north for the latter. As you will be aware I don't drive but I'm not afraid of a little walk!

Also I've never seen a Dipper and would love to find some.

Thanks in advance

Paul
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Mark Colvin

Re: North West Wales in June

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi Paul.

Try South Stack Cliffs for Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary. I've seen them there on several occasions along the cliffs. Hopefully you can tick off a few birds as well including Chough, Peregrine etc. Not sure where the nearest Large Heath site is though.

Good luck.

Kind regards. Mark
Screenshot 2024-04-26 at 19.04.26.png
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks Mark, I had noted that site as a possibility if the weather is on my side :)
kevling

Post by kevling »

Hi Paul,

Other than South Stack mentioned by Mark, I have also seen SPBF at Newborough Forest, Anglesley (Grid Ref SH404638 / SH4043063896) and also at the bottom of Snowdon's Watkin Path (Grid Ref SH622515 / SH6225751543.If you find yourself on Anglesey a favoured spot of mine for Wall is Porth Trecastell (Grid Ref SH329707 / SH3296270720).

As for Dippers, I'm no expert on birds but I do like this species and it is common on many Snowdonia rivers. I would say a dead cert is Ogwen Bank (by the holiday park (Grid Ref SH626653 / SH6268465385).

Hope this helps

Kev
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks Kev, I shall take a look at those. Hopfully this god awful endless pattern of wet weather will end and let me take advantage of your advice!

Return to “Field Trips and Events”