Large White - Favourite Photo of 2023

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 9

I seem to be two weeks ahead of schedule this year…the intro for this species in 2022 was wishing everyone a Merry Christmas/Seasons Greetings! Still not long to go until 2024 and the new season now…In the meantime let’s push on with the 2023 Faves. And as I'm ahead of schedule I may as well continue - hence posting this early afternoon :wink:

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Large White - Favourite Photo of 2023

Post by Wurzel »

Large White

This was taken back in mid-July at Martin Down. It was quite a breezy day and so everything had the same idea – find the sheltered spots and sit out the worst of the ‘blows’ and then in the lull move onto the next spot. This meant that the window of opportunity was limited to about 5-10 seconds between the butterfly rocking forward and backwards as if sat on rocking horse as it was buffeted by the wind and when the lull started and the butterfly took off. This male Large White was taken during one of those ‘lulls’ and I chose it as it was a fortuitous shot. I was hoping that it would open up a little to reveal the stunning blank palette that is the main part of the topside of the wings but it refused to sit in such a way as to reveal its wings – that is until the last puff of breeze before the lull caught it in such a way as to make it open up to try and balance itself. “Click, click, click” I went and I’m sure the butterfly swore at me as it took off in the lull :shock: :lol: .
LW 1 16-07-2023 20.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I saw the first Large White 0n the 25th of April at Castle Park Tankerton, I saw the second and third in my Garden in July and August.Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_8985.JPG
Castle Park Tankerton
Castle Park Tankerton
IMG_9524.JPG
David Lazarus

Post by David Lazarus »

A female Large White nectaring on brambles along the banks of the River Chelmer in Chelmsford:
Large White f 03/07/2023 Baddow Meads, Chelmsford, Essex
Large White f 03/07/2023 Baddow Meads, Chelmsford, Essex
David Lazarus
Chelmsford, Essex
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Here's a nice fresh female feeding next to a couple of male Brown Hairstreak at Bookham
Large White female, Bookham Commons #34.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Of the three 'common' species, Large whites were the least numerous for me and it was July before I saw my first definite one. In fact all the whites were in short supply around here in the first half of the season but whereas Small and GV white numbers improved later in the year, Large Whites remained quite scarce around here.
Large White - Oversley Wood 05.07.2023
Large White - Oversley Wood 05.07.2023

Cheers,

Neil
David M

Post by David M »

Filled my boots with these at Aberthaw Beach on 15th September:
15.LgeWhitefem(1).jpg
15.LgeWhmale(1).jpg
Wolfson

Post by Wolfson »

As usual, plenty of Large White about but didn’t take many photographs. This one in the garden was enjoying the Valerian a favourite of Large White in Cornwall.
Attachments
Large White, Cornwall, 6 October
Large White, Cornwall, 6 October

Return to “Large White”