November 2023

Discussion forum for sightings.
David M

November 2023

Post by David M »

Doesn't look promising for the first few days of November, but there are no frosts forecast so I expect Red Admirals to be around during any sunny spells.
millerd

Re: November 2023

Post by millerd »

David M wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:36 am ...I expect Red Admirals to be around during any sunny spells...
Well, I spotted a Red Admiral locally in sunshine mid-afternoon today, David - but didn't get a shot. I contented myself instead with a photo of this dragonfly, of which several were flying.
dragon 011123.JPG
However, I reasoned I might find a now familiar butterfly if it hadn't succumbed to the overnight rain and wind. I was right, and there it was in the middle of its territory.
CB1 011123.JPG
CB2 011123.JPG
Not quite the species I'd have predicted for All Saints' Day, but then I saw one in mid-November last year. :) There are still plenty of flowers to nectar from in this area.

Dave
David M

Post by David M »

Nice find, Dave. Fingers crossed that Storm Ciaran doesn't finish it off!
Stevieb

Post by Stevieb »

David M wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:36 am Doesn't look promising for the first few days of November, but there are no frosts forecast so I expect Red Admirals to be around during any sunny spells.
2 in the garden between showers today.
David M

Post by David M »

Stevieb wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:35 pm2 in the garden between showers today.
Not surprising, Steve. Was 14c in between the showers today.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

millerd wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:34 pm
David M wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:36 am ...I expect Red Admirals to be around during any sunny spells...
Well, I spotted a Red Admiral locally in sunshine mid-afternoon today, David - but didn't get a shot. I contented myself instead with a photo of this dragonfly, of which several were flying.

Dave
a very old Common Darter from the looks of it, they lose their vibrant red with age.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

Wednesday 1st - One Red Admiral seen in a sheltered gully on my local estate:
1Nov.jpg
aeshna5

Post by aeshna5 »

Millerd- your dragonfly is a Common Darter.
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Early afternoon visit to Dungeness today and as expected no Small Coppers ! it was fairly warm 13-14 c .I,d mainly gone to Dungeness to try for some seabird action along the point ........tried a bit of a seawatch hoping for a Leachs Petrel (or two !) there have been very high numbers reported since yesterdays storm along with several Storm Petrels and at least 2 Sabines Gull ........I gave up after 15 minutes ! wind blowing a gale and the temperature probably only around 5-6 (on the beach )...........not for me !
Had a stroll along the power station fence ,where it was a little more sheltered . As i walked along i disturbed what was either a Red Ad or a Peacock
and although getting rather late ..............i lean towards Peacock.I wasn,t quick enough with the bins !
Did a circuit of the Moat which is partially flooded ,kept my eyes open for a few birds in the bushes ...............but very quiet . I disturbed what could have been a Small Copper ........but couldn,t follow it ..................probably a moth.
Noticed that the Crow trap was flattened in the storm . As i wandered back towards the old lighthouse i noticed something White lowdown in a Gorse bush , a female Large White.......sheltering from the wind .
Later back home ,a Red Admiral shot across the garden .
Allan.W.
P1380604.JPG
P1380608.JPG
millerd

Post by millerd »

After some very wet and quite windy days and nights, today (5th) dawned sunny and became fairly warm by midday. I wondered what might be left amongst the local butterflies, and was surprised to find both a male and female Small White (though not close to each other).
SW2 051123.JPG
SW1 051123.JPG
Less remarkable was spotting three Red Admirals, one of which was avidly nectaring on a dandelion (the ivy has largely gone over here now).
RA1 051123.JPG
However, when I ventured further to the territory of the male Common Blue I've been following for a week or two at least, there it was - a bit more ragged than last time, but still recognisable as the same individual.
CB2 051123.JPG
They are definitely more robust than they look. :)

Dave
David M

Post by David M »

millerd wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:56 pm..when I ventured further to the territory of the male Common Blue I've been following for a week or two at least, there it was - a bit more ragged than last time, but still recognisable as the same individual...
What a survivor! I'm becoming quite attached to him. :)
David M

Post by David M »

Friday 3rd - A total of 6 Red Admirals seen on my estate, including these three lined up basking on a metal trailer to the side of the himalayan honeysuckle they've all been nectaring from:
03a.RAdmx3(1).jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Friday 3rd - An amazing 14 Red Admirals seen at Limeslade & Bracelet Bays near Mumbles on the Gower. Several were egg-laying females, although half of them were on or around the hebe flowers at the last garden prior to the pathway leading to Langlands.
03b.RAdm(1).jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Friday 3rd - A visit to Oystermouth Cemetery in Mumbles, Gower, produced the following:

Red Admiral 4
Speckled Wood 2
Comma 1
03c.SpckWd(1).jpg
03c.Comma(1).jpg
The overall total of 27 butterflies for the day was easily a November record for me and was surprising given how windy conditions were.
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Attacked by a butterfly on the sea front at Exmouth today, probably a Small Tortoiseshell. Looked for Mallow Skipper larvae on the abundant foodplant, but predictably without success. Maybe one day...
millerd

Post by millerd »

David M wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 4:35 pm What a survivor! I'm becoming quite attached to him. :)
Here he is again, David, seen in the same area today (6th) (though slightly adjusted because of a slight change in the wind direction). He's looking a bit more world-weary as his scales are noticeably thinner now.
CB1 061123.JPG
Also seen not far away was a reasonably fresh female Speckled Wood. Despite the relatively low temperatures, she was darting in and out of the shade of some scrubby trees as if it was midsummer.
SpW1 061123.JPG
Other butterflies included a female Small White...
SW1 061123.JPG
...a Peacock (which took off the instant I spotted it basking on the brambles) and five assorted Red Admirals.
RA2 061123.JPG
RA1 061123.JPG
Nine butterflies of five species - not bad for November.

Dave
David M

Post by David M »

millerd wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:29 pmHere he is again, David, seen in the same area today (6th) (though slightly adjusted because of a slight change in the wind direction). He's looking a bit more world-weary as his scales are noticeably thinner now.
What a champion! Reckon he's got a few days left too. What is your latest ever sighting of this species, Dave?

millerd wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:29 pmNine butterflies of five species - not bad for November.
Five species is excellent for November. For most, it's only Red Admirals left flying the flag.
David M

Post by David M »

Sunday 5th, Dan-y-Graig Cemetery, Swansea:

Red Admiral 3
Speckled Wood 1
05.Radm(1).jpg
05.SpckWd(1).jpg
Three other Red Admirals seen, two at Oystermouth Cemetery and a further individual on my estate.
Last edited by David M on Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
millerd

Post by millerd »

David M wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:25 am
millerd wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:29 pmHere he is again, David, seen in the same area today (6th) (though slightly adjusted because of a slight change in the wind direction). He's looking a bit more world-weary as his scales are noticeably thinner now.
What a champion! Reckon he's got a few days left too. What is your latest ever sighting of this species, Dave?

Five species is excellent for November. For most, it's only Red Admirals left flying the flag.
My latest ever Common Blue sighting was last year, David, when I found a male in the same spot as this one on 13th November.

The old stager was present and correct again today (7th)...
CB1 071123.JPG
...but I'm not sure he'll survive another week and break that record. :) I think I first saw him on 14th October, but it's difficult to be sure without any early bits of damage to follow through with.

The biggest surprise today came as I made my way back afterwards: I found another (equally venerable) male Common Blue!
CB2 071123.JPG
How this second one has flown under my radar throughout its life I don't know - I suppose there could be one or two more out there. However, these two are separated by the LHR T5 link road from the M25, so are technically from two distinct colonies, but local conditions generally must be favourable for their survival thus far.

Here is a view over the area where the first Common Blue has been flying, with that link road in the background.
view 071123.JPG
There is an underpass for the path (and the River Colne) that I've seen Red Admirals and Commas using, but I suspect other butterflies go over the road.

Also seen today were three Red Admirals and the same female Small White encountered yesterday and the day before.

Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

millerd wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:51 pm ...I think I first saw him on 14th October, but it's difficult to be sure without any early bits of damage to follow through with...
Going back through past photos, I'm pretty confident I've identified the same individual looking nice and fresh on 10th October. I've just reached that date in my PD, so I'll post some comparative shots there.

Dave

Return to “Sightings”