Crook Peak/Cross Plain

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
Simon C

Crook Peak/Cross Plain

Post by Simon C »

Went to Crook Peak on Saturday [train to Weston-Super-Mare, taxi to car park on Webbington to Cross road]. This is well worth a visit even without the butterflies - which is just as well, as the forecasters got this one right, with sunny spells making way for overcast conditions and a significant drop in temperatures. The peak has commanding views over the Somerset levels, with Glastonbury in the distance and also views across to Wales. This shot from part-way up the peak shows Brean Down on the coast (good for Chalkhill Blue, Wall, Grayling), Steep Holm in the Bristol Channel (it has several butterfly records) and Wales in the distance:
and this is the view in the opposite direction, towards Cross Plain, which is the walk we did, walking on the side of the ridge. You can make out Cheddar Reservoir, which is just beyond Axbridge.

It was sunny when we started out, and at the foot of Crook Peak saw Grizzled Skippers, Speckled Wood, Brown Argus, Common Blue and Large Skipper:
Climbing up the steep slope, also saw Small Heath and Sarah thought she saw a Wall Brown. Could see the weather closing in, so quickly dropped down a path in the direction of Compton Bishop, with immediate success: my first Green Hairsteak of the year, although it is a little lacking as far as streaks are concerned:
There were several Hairstreaks to be seen. Also on the path, a few Small Pearl-Borders Frits flew past. At this point, we stopped for a Drinker!
Actually, we stopped for a sandwich lunch in a sheltered spot. Saw another SPBF which settled briefly:
and spotted a Privet Hawkmoth:
Lots more Brown Argus and Common Blue.

Then continued round the edge of Wavering Down - on a better day, would have gone along the top which is good for SPBF. It brightened momentarily near Cross Plain. The path round the base is best for butterflies. Saw more Small Heath, Common Blue, Brown Argus and Grizzled Skippers:

This is the kind of female Common Blue I like: no doubt here :)

It was really quite cool now, and that was the last of the sightings on the butterfly front. We did startled a couple of deer on the path to Kings Wood

At this point, you can walk to Winscombe and catch the bus, or, if you are feeling energetic, after a deep breath do what we did and climb Shute Shelve Hill which is good for butterflies when the weather is favourable. Then drop down into the medieval town of Axbridge, which has a pretty town square where you can sit outside the pub and wait for the bus back to Weston-S-M.

Simon
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

Great pics, and nice drinker and Privit. Love the deer, well snapped. Looks like a great place. :)
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro

Return to “Sites”