It's a mystery

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
zigzag_wanderer

It's a mystery

Post by zigzag_wanderer »

A pal of mine is lucky enough to live between the Lakes and the Dales and sent me this.

We walked along the spine of the Howgills the other day and found these piles of dead caterpillars all over the path. There were still a few alive crawling around, but numerous piles of dead ones. They were at about 2000ft and only on the highest part of the path. I couldn’t see any in the grass. Have you any idea what could have happened?

I'm not sure what insect they are larvae of. The only thing I could think of is a human who couldn't face killing them taking them as far away from their garden as they could and dropping them on the path.....but that seems a bit extreme ! But seems very odd that they were massed so high up and restricted only to the footpath.

Any other thoughts appreciated. If there is a natural solution then full kudos will be given - I won't pretend I knew it ;-)

(Not quite in Katrina's league as a title, but I thought a bit of Toyah might be appropriate here).
Attachments
thumbnail_B.jpg
zigzag_wanderer

Re: It's a mystery

Thinking more about it, could these possibly be some type of fly larvae that have grown inside carrion ?

Maybe crows have removed the dead animal, dislodging the larvae who are now dying as they have nothing to feed on ?

That still wouldn't explain why there were multiple piles of them all over the path though.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Showing your age there Zigzag, quoting a bit of Toyah. The caterpillars look like some sort of Noctuid moth although I'm not aware of any species that has communal larvae so I can't explain what's going on :? .
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

I agree with Bugboy ,they appear to be Noctuid type larvae ,i wonder if they,ve been eaten en-masse by an animal /large bird and maybe they,re toxic ,and been "thrown up " ....................................just a thought !
Regards Allan.W.
Mikhail

Post by Mikhail »

I suspect these are caterpillars of the Antler moth Cerapteryx graminis, which can occur in plague numbers on northern upland pastures, sometimes denuding hillsides of grass. This can lead to starvation or disease and, I daresay, intervention of the upland graziers.

M.
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Excellent that Mikhail ,I reckon thats spot on ! Nice one. Regards Allan.W.
zigzag_wanderer

Thanks chaps for your ID help/ideas here - particularly Mikhail who I think deserves the Sherlock Holmes hat and pipe for naming the likely moth in question.

Indeed if I Google "dead antler moth caterpillars" it takes me to this feature from 2000, which is specifically about the Howgills.

https://www.thewestmorlandgazette.co.uk ... ing-sheep/

I'll send this link to my pal or link her to this page so she can see the level of knowledge on this site.

Top stuff as always - really appreciated !

A PLAGUE of caterpillars is wreaking havoc on the Howgill Fells, pushing thousands of sheep off high grazing land, reports Karen Barden.

Many millions of the Antler Moth larva are munching their way down the hillside, leaving hundreds of acres of decimated grassland in their wake.

The strange phenomenon, which last happened 12 years ago, is robbing farmers of vital feeding areas.

"It's a desperate situation," said John Jackson, of Newbiggin-on-Lune.

"There are no sheep left over two or three hundred acres. The ground looks dead. Caterpillars have eaten huge areas of grass."

Farmers say half their grazing land has disappeared in the month-long invasion, which could last for another couple of weeks before the insect intruders become docile chrysalises.

Vast numbers of sheep have retreated to lowland, not yet under caterpillar bombardment.

Another Howgill farmer, who did not want to be named, said he had lived in the area all his life and had never seen an attack like it. Areas of Dent and Garsdale have been affected for the first time.

John Lancaster, of Kendal NFU, said an expert from ADAS was investigating the curiosity.

One shocked Howgills' walker found air vents in her jacket were full of caterpillars and another went to Sedbergh's National Park office to report strange happenings in the hills.

Farmers are left worrying how they are going to feed their flocks, predicting it will be at least September before the ground starts to recover.

Retired Sedbergh biology teacher John Mounsey said although caterpillar numbers were vast, like voles and lemmings, many would not survive, falling victim to parasites, disease and birds. Even foxes and dogs ate them.

An Ulverston moth enthusiast said the acid soil of the Howgills was perfect breeding ground for Antlers, which as caterpillars ate day and night, taking in large quantities.

"It's like Christmas all the time for them," said Bill Kydd.

Farmers blamed the plague on the weather, but according to the experts, it is just one of nature's mysteries
Butterflyboy

Post by Butterflyboy »

I didn't think caterpillars were capable of such mass-destruction :shock:
-Butterfly boy

Return to “General”