A couple of overwintered oddities .

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Allan.W.

A couple of overwintered oddities .

Post by Allan.W. »

Sitting ,looking at a few pics of this seasons overwinterers ,while its raining hard outside ,here in my part of Kent.
I came across a couple of slight oddities . The first ,was my first Comma of the spring ,from Orlestone forest ,i posted this individual back in February ,but looking at a "blown up " version ,i noticed something which i,ve not seen before ,and that is the "Commas " showing clearly on the top surface of the wings ,i realise , that they are probably showing through (worn wings ?) from the underside ,(although the wings didn,t appear too worn),
i,ve looked through my previous years Comma pics ,and can,t find one remotely like it.
P1240429.JPG
The second is a slightly different Small Tort ,easily the most numerous of the overwinterers ,in my neck of the woods ,with probably around twenty
sightings so far .I noticed a courting pair flying along an emerging nettle bed ,and watched them for some time ,before they finally settled ,and i moved in for a few shots ,i noticed that the male appeared very pale ,compared to the female ,and put it down to natural overwinter wear ,but looking again ,to me the wear looks too "uniform" ,it also has very white patches ,as opposed to two yellow(ish) and one white although ,although that could well be down to fading ........................no matter ! two unusual individuals.
P1240752.JPG
P1240750.JPG
Regards Allan.W.

Return to “General”