Newbie Question: What did I see?

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
MR Optimistic

Newbie Question: What did I see?

Post by MR Optimistic »

Hi. I live in the countryside in north Bedfordshire. Last week, early on a sunny morning, I saw a rather striking medium size butterfly flitting about. It was difficult to see the pattern on the wings but in flying it gave the impression of a rather exotic orange. No markings otherwise apparent from a distance. At rest it had it's wings up and folded so I got a good look. Underside of the wings had a uniform black background but with three white stripes in a sort of chevron radiating from the root.
I have searched the internet and looked at all the books we have but to no avail.
Any ideas of what I saw or am I an unreliable observer?
MikeOxon

Re: Newbie Question: What did I see?

Post by MikeOxon »

Have a look at pictures of the Garden Tiger and Jersey Tiger Moths - https://butterfly-conservation.org/news ... our-garden

The Garden Tiger used to be more common than know and the larvae are known as 'woolly bears'. On the other hand, the Jersey Tiger used to be rare but has spread widely in recent years. This stunning day-flying moth has become common in London including gardens right in the heart of the city.

Mike
MR Optimistic

Post by MR Optimistic »

Thanks, will do. In looking through the various books we have I came to the rapid conclusion that I hope it isn't a moth as these seem to vastly outnumber their more user friendly butterfly competitors. The creature I saw didn't seem to have any distinctive over wing patterning and at rest the wings were folded together and up.
Thanks for your reply. Currently I pop down to the part of the garden were I saw it daily in the hope of another sighting!
aeshna5

Post by aeshna5 »

Your description sounds perfect for Jersey Tiger which has increased at an astonishing rate in the south-east in the last few years.
MR Optimistic

Post by MR Optimistic »

Thanks all.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

If I'm reading the description right, the wings were folded up above the back at rest, exposing the underside, and the upperside was an 'exotic orange'. I don't see any of the tiger moths in that. Are there any butterfly houses nearby? My first thought was Dryadula phaetusa, a common buttefly house butterfly.

I may be reading it wrong, though!

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html

Return to “Identification”