Wurzel

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
millerd

Re: Wurzel

Post by millerd »

Another splendid roster of butterflies Wurzel, particularly that Duchess. :mrgreen: :) "The Duchess of Sidbury" - a character from a costume drama perhaps? The females do produce the most striking variations. :)

Cheers,

Dave
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Yes she is an ab. The victoriana aurelians christened such beauties ab. albomaculata :)
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Dave :D I like the sound of The Duchess of Sidbury and given the reputation of the species as sex maniacs I reckon they'd fit right in on 'Bridgerton' :wink:
Cheers Bugboy :D I was happy to enjoy her but it's all the better for having the correct 'name' 8) Thanks for the ID :D

Sidbury Hill 20-05-2024 Part 3

I almost went home but I do like to check out a new part of the site when I visit and so instead of turning round and returning to the car I carried on along the motorway for tanks up over the rise. On the other side beyond the line of trees rough ground sloped gently off into the distance. On my left one of the tracks ran down, a few White Helleborines standing just on the edge of the wood, and a slither of turf bisected the track. This proved to be a cracking little spot and I wandered up and then down the hill on this little ribbon like island of downland cut off from the mainland by a sea of dust and flint. On the first pass down I notched up 2 Common Blues, a Wall, a Brown Argus and finally some Small Blues 3 or 4. On the walk back up this increased, possibly because I was going slightly slower what with it being uphill. The Common Blues had increased to 3, all having a final sunbathe before settling down. I lost count of the Small Heaths that would pop up from under my feet but the Wall were easier to count as I watched one fly into the territory of another and they both went up in a scrap. Both Grizzlie and Dingy Skippers got onto the list and the sole Brown Argus manifested into three but unlike the Common Blues they were already shut up for the night. The best return though came from the Small Blues with at least a dozen now showing more readily. Most were still active but a couple had chosen their spot and were laying out the beach towels whilst one in particular had doled out the sun cream and was busy catching some rays, its wings spread the widest that I’ve ever seen in this species.
20-05-2024 38.JPG
20-05-2024 39.JPG
20-05-2024 40.JPG
20-05-2024 41.JPG
20-05-2024 41a web cover 3.JPG
20-05-2024 42.JPG
20-05-2024 43.JPG
20-05-2024 44.JPG
20-05-2024 45.JPG
20-05-2024 46.JPG
Eventually as the shadows started lengthening and the butterflies started flying less and closing up more I tore myself away and started to head for home. Only I didn’t make it straight back to the car as a Marshie had other ideas and led me on one final dance across the grasslands. It would fly to somewhere with a patch of yellow flowers nearby and then sup away, occasionally looking to close its wings. I would watch and wait and hope that it would before it would once again take to the air and I would trail after it in the hope of getting some underside shots to go with the growing collection of topside ones. It didn’t come to pass and eventually I felt the metaphorically tap on my shoulder and the Marshie waltzed off with a new partner, a Small Heath that was hassling it. I strolled back to the car, tired but exceedingly happy and toting up the species count to a year best of 16.
20-05-2024 47.JPG
20-05-2024 48.JPG
20-05-2024 49.JPG
At last it happened
A Marshie flew into view
Job done and relax!

(until the next time)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Your seeing lots of Butterflies Wurzel great shots of the Marshies :mrgreen: we don't seem to get those round here, I'll have to exchange shots with you, Heath, for Marshies :lol: Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Goldie :D I'd be up for a swap like that :wink: :lol:

Compton Down 25-05-2024

With the way the weather was going when a good day struck you had to make the most of it. Luckily constant surveillance of several weather Apps looked like paying off as the weather didn’t look too shabby, which was surprising as it was the start of the half term break and a Bank Holiday weekend to boot. Add to this the fact that the Glannies had been spotted at Compton Down and my mind was set to working out where to go and how to get there. When Philzoid arrived at our usual rendezvous we jumped in the car and set to rally driving along the country lanes to Shaftesbury and slightly beyond and were soon pulling into the lay-by as, despite or prompt departure, was full. I hoped that they were all ramblers or dog walkers…

As we strolled down the track we passed a good way before anything flew and the occasional cloud drifted over the sun darkening and then brightening quickly. The first entry to the day’s tally was a Green-veined White which was quickly followed by a brace of Grizzlies on the other side of the track. As we approached the bank it became apparent that plenty of people had had the same thought process as myself and most of the cars in the car park obviously weren’t dog walkers and ramblers. Still it lent a more convivial air to proceedings and I was able to catch up with a few people from previous trips in between snaps. At the start of the bank there had been 3 Glannies in quick succession as well as a Marshie. It was strange seeing them all quite close together and then none despite the habitat looking exactly the same to my eyes. Other butterflies that vied for our attention here were Grizzlies, Dingies, Brown Argus, Small Blue and Small Heath which was good really as the Glannies in this section seemed to prefer the top of the bank safe from my macro lens. There were four in view at any one time further along the bank close to where the trees spilled down the bank from the hedge demarcating the two downland reserves. Two were far to high to start with but would occasionally drift down the slope and fly along the track whilst one remained stubbornly open winged just out of reach. Luckily the final one posed very nicely at ¾ wings open right at the edge of the bank.
25-05-2024 1.JPG
25-05-2024 2.JPG
25-05-2024 3.JPG
25-05-2024 4.JPG
25-05-2024 5.JPG
Past the bisecting line of trees to the next section and there were a few more Glannies and another hide away Marshie. There were also several Whites flying of which a brace of Brimstones and a Large White were the only clearly discernible species. A few more Grizzlies fluttered about at the margins of the bank and the stony track and these encouraged me to spend a little more time here which had the added bonus of being a lot quieter. In fact, I had the whole of this section of the bank to myself. I made the most of this temporary solitude by finding a few grounded Glannies some of which closed up to reveal the stunning underside patterning. Images were racking up nicely on the memory card and then I spotted the piece de resistance; a mating pair. I got a few shots and then made a fatal/rookie error and announced their presence quite quickly. Before I knew it there were a cluster of people around the pair and I found myself somehow at the back of the queue. I left them to it and occasionally snuck back in for a few shots in between watching other Glannies.
25-05-2024 6.JPG
25-05-2024 7.JPG
25-05-2024 8.JPG
Interestingly once they’ve un-coupled they stayed together for some time, just perched together, wing tips gently caressing. Philzoid and I then retreated slowly back up the track with Glannies all along the way and a single Small Blue which was the only other butterfly behaving sensibly!
25-05-2024 9.JPG
25-05-2024 10.JPG
25-05-2024 11.JPG
25-05-2024 12.JPG
25-05-2024 13.JPG
25-05-2024 14.JPG
25-05-2024 15.JPG
25-05-2024 16.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

That's a splendid set of Glanvilles, Wurzel, especially the pair. :) :mrgreen: I think my benchmark for the species is still that day we had with them a few years back at Wrecclesham. :) A bonus to get to see Marshies with them too - somewhere to include on a future itinerary I think.

Cheers,

Dave
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Wurzel wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 7:46 pm Cheers Goldie :D I'd be up for a swap like that :wink: :lol:

Compton Down 25-05-2024
...and were soon pulling into the lay-by as, despite or prompt departure, was full. I hoped that they were all ramblers or dog walkers…
I've stopped off at Compton or Fontmell Downs a few times on our way further into Dorset at various times of year and always found it busy. It seems to be popular with all sorts.

Great Glanville shots particulaly the two together :mrgreen: :D

Cheers,

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Dave :D "I think my benchmark for the species is still that day we had with them a few years back at Wrecclesham. :D :D " Was that the day we were visited by 'Fenton!' :wink: :lol: Definitely worth a trip as there are a couple of other great sites very near by :wink:
Cheers Neil :D I've since discovered that early in the morning is nice and quiet and another trick is to wait until the images have been put up on 'The Evil Book of Face' as then the majority of people move onto a different site/species :wink:

Compton Down Part 2

After this Philzoid and I left the masses and made our way up the track and then up onto the Down proper. A couple more Glannies flew along the bottom track along the hedgerow and as we followed the track up and down we carried on racking up the species with Greenstreak and more Small Heaths, Grizzlies and Dingies. We kept working along the bottom of the hedge as this seemed to act as a magnet for the butterflies and in the next little alcove a Brown Argus held court battering anything that drew near. A Greenstreak kept out of the way of the small chocolate and orange psycho by sticking to the taller Hawthorns that were sprinkled across the bottom of the down. There was also a Marshie that dropped in and was promptly sent packing by the Brown Argus. This got my goat a little as there was something odd about the Marshie, it was almost two tone. Luckily it didn’t fly too far and I was able to grab a few shots before it decided to move on. It was swiftly replaced by a second more conventional looking Marshie.
Two tone
Two tone
25-05-2024 18.JPG
We moved on slightly only to pause for a dazzling mustard coloured moff – it was a Wood Tiger, a stunning looking moth and a species that I’d seen here before and also one which was actually sitting still. It seemed that we were walking in a butterfly wonderland and so our progress was ridiculously slow as every few steps something else would appear and tempt us to photograph it. A Small heath here, a Grizzlie there or even a fine looking Marshie. I knew that they could be very variable but today was proving just how variable whilst still keeping to the familiar pattern/lay-out. The next couple proved a prime example. The first was very dark looking from afar and when I got in closer I could see that the ground colour was black and not dark brown. I’ve seen the effect light can have on Marshies in the past; under cloud cover they appear black and then as the sun comes out they lighten to a milk chocolate brown, but this one was black in full sun. The second took on a more yellow hue as it flew due to the nice combination of light orange and cream chequers on a brown background.
Wood Tiger moth
Wood Tiger moth
25-05-2024 20.JPG
25-05-2024 21.JPG
Quite dark
Quite dark
25-05-2024 23.JPG
25-05-2024 24.JPG
After much more stumbling and pausing for this and that we reached the corner of the down and the area that the Marshies have a penchant for. Sure enough a couple took to the air including one that was struggling to fly as she was so eggbound. She was also a bit of a looker with the usual oranges and cream replaced in part by whites giving it the slight appearance of a Cynthia’s Frit. I spent a good while with this one as she bumbled about and managed to pick up a nice selection of shots including some undersides. I once again called out and Philzoid and Calvin came to the viewing, Calvin with a Marshie hitching a lift on his camera hood. A pale and greasy looking Marshie appeared at one point but I found myself back with the ‘Stunner’ without even realizing that she’d lured me back.
25-05-2024 25.JPG
25-05-2024 26.JPG
25-05-2024 27.JPG
25-05-2024 28.JPG
25-05-2024 29.JPG
25-05-2024 30.JPG
25-05-2024 31.JPG
25-05-2024 32.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, you've had some cracking shots lately, those Marshie shots are great :mrgreen: Goldie :D
millerd

Post by millerd »

That is a terrific Marshie variation, Wurzel - it looks like a completely different species but I couldn't tell you which one! :) :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Goldie :D They show such variation that it is almost impossible to get bored or blase when photographing them :D
Cheers Dave :D I did wonder if someone had bought some cats of a similar species/sub-species on the 'tin-ternet' and abandoned them and that was one of the survivors? :wink:

Compton Down 25-05-2024 Part 3

Eventually I managed to tear myself away from the mesmerizing Marshie and we retraced our steps back along the bottom track following the hedge. The same butterflies appeared as we walked, often still in the same places (holding territories?). There were also a few other things as an Adonis turned up in one of the sections of thinner turf where the sun was easily able to penetrate and warm the ground. We also added singletons of a fly-by Red Admiral and a Holly blue and Specklie on the hedge itself.
25-05-2024 33.JPG
25-05-2024 34.JPG
25-05-2024 35.JPG
25-05-2024 36.JPG
25-05-2024 37.JPG
25-05-2024 38.JPG
Back on the track there are even more people present, ultimately more people than Glannies and so after accidently spooking one by trying to shade it to it opens its wings we took our leave. Philzoid marched on ahead to try and get his steps in but I was content to dawdle and saunter up with Brian so we could catch up. A great start to the day…
25-05-2024 39.JPG
25-05-2024 40.JPG
25-05-2024 41.JPG
25-05-2024 42.JPG
25-05-2024 43.JPG
25-05-2024 44.JPG
25-05-2024 45.JPG
Crowded Compton Down
Glannies and Marshies abound
Such variation

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Love the shots of the Adonis Wurzel :mrgreen: I'll have to wait until August for them now ( hope fully) still haven't seen a Gate Keeper yet!Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Goldie :D Good luck with the second brood Adonis :D Hopefully the Gatekeepers will be turning up any day now, I've started seeing a few over this way and they've already started spooking White Admirals and Silver-washed that I'm trying to photograph :roll: :lol:

Fovant 25-05-2023

Where to next? As we’d passed Fovant on the way to Compton Down and we were planning on Martin Down calling in at Fovant seemed like a good call. After many visits here and hopping over the stile or mounting the gate today I learnt something new…the gate isn’t locked! Suitably impressed with the ‘new and improved’ access we followed the short, winding track round and up into the Bowl/old quarry. The sight of a brace of SBJ’s (Small Brown Jobs) wasn’t unexpected as they turned out to be two Dukes still fighting it out in the Thunderdrome but the sight of a Marshie was a bit of a shock. I don’t know why as they’re on the hills all around but as I hadn’t seen one here before and wasn’t expecting one by the time I’d drunk in the sighting it had shot off. Still I consoled myself with trying for one of the two Dukes. As we worked our way round the circumference of the Bowl a Green-veined White fluttered across the diameter and a quick check of the large Bramble bush around the margins yielded a Grizzlie taking nectar on the blooms.
25-05-2024 1i.JPG
25-05-2024 2i.JPG
25-05-2024 3i.JPG
25-05-2024 4i.JPG
We climbed out of the and cut across the side of the hill to the diagonal track cut into a deep furrow across the side of the hill. As we ascended a few Dingies did their best to confuse us as we marked off Dukes on our digits. As well as the distracting Dingies counting was also made tricky by the Dukes themselves as when they would go up they would fly ahead a short way. Sometimes they would land within sight so there was no danger of counting them twice. Other times they would spook another Duke and then they would fly over the lip of the bank possibly to re-emerge further ahead of us. By the time we reached the junction of the tracks about half way up the hill we reckoned on 7 definite different individuals along with a single Small Heath.
25-05-2024 5i.JPG
25-05-2024 6i.JPG
Time was ticking by and I was eager to see what Martin Down and the Dyke would have to offer so started to make our way back but wanting to investigate a little further we took the more circuitous route rather than just retracing our steps. The Down was pretty steep but by we safely negotiated it without any slips by taking a series of acute angled zig-zags. On the way down we found two different Dukes. If was abundantly clear that there were two individuals as they were poles part in terms of wear and tear. The first was near the top and only gave underside views. I had to walk on the sides of my feet to get to it before grasping a handful of grass to anchor myself while shooting with my other hand. This one was so fresh that it must have only recently emerged. The other was lower down the slope and was in a much worse state; margins all gone, scutum scraped bare and starting to get the greasy look through lack of scales.
25-05-2024 7i.JPG
25-05-2024 8i.JPG
25-05-2024 9i.JPG
25-05-2024 10i.JPG
Having reached the bottom our next task would be to get back to the gate. No mean feat as the track at the bottom sent us into several little ‘alcoves’ hemmed in by vicious Bramble. Still we managed to find another two Dukes here and a Dingy as well for our troubles. Even once we escaped out onto the side of the Down it wasn’t easy going as there were a lot of old rabbit holes and deep potholes perfectly camouflaged by the grass. As we neared the gate a Peacock flashed past to further up the days tally and then we found ourselves making for out final destination.
25-05-2024 11i.JPG
Over to Fovant
For a quick Duke filled pitstop
Martin Down next…

Have a goodun

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

Your shots the Duke from below hit the spot for me!
As noted from your image on farcebook.
Also great Glanville shots. I still can't get used to seeing them on the mainland.
Looking forward to news from Shipton B in a few weeks time.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Trevor :D I did see (and 'like' ) your comment on the The Book of Face :wink: I'm keeping my ears to the ground regarding the Brostreaks - as soon as I hear I'll let you know :wink: :D

Martin Down 25-05-2024

Up the down and over the top, down through Broadchalke and up over Hogger road before crossing the dual carriage way and turning right after a short way into Martin Down. That was the route that we took for the final part of the saga worthy trio of trips. When we pulled in the sun was still shining unlike on our previous visit and as we wandered along the side path making for the start of the Dyke we could actually feel the warmth. The butterflies were responding and taking to the wing rather than dropping moribund to the floor. However slightly worrying was the dearth of butterflies despite the seemingly ideal conditions. In the Dyke, in past times possibly the only place to visit as it was the microcosm of the whole site, we didn’t see a single butterfly amid the tall grass. Perhaps this is responsible as it chokes out the wildflowers and nectar sources? Eventually we found something, right at the end of the part of the Dyke a single Dingy and possibly only here as it was able to take advantage of the trampling as butterfly enthusiasts had clambered out of the Dyke at this spot in the past.

We carried on following the track and then it joined up with one of the larger ones than ran from the car park. Along the way we notched up three Dingies and there was the briefest of sightings of a Marshie – literally ‘Marshie, click-step, click-step’ and then it was gone. About half way along as we stopped as a Greenstreak at flown weakly and low to the ground across the track. It seemed a little lost as there were no obvious Hawthorns nearby, only some slightly taller and thicker leafed vegetation. As we were working out where it had gone we were joined by Ben and his Dad, the last time I’d seen them was at Shipton when we ‘magic-ed Brostreaks’ into existence. We had a bit of a chat and then wishing them well returned our attentions to the Greenstreak which somehow we’d managed to relocate.
25-05-2024 1c.JPG
25-05-2024 2c.JPG
Carrying on we checked out the fields on the car park side of Bug Butt but all was quiet. When we rounded the corner to check out the the other side my hopes of the butterflies taking advantage of the shelter were dashed and we only saw a single butterfly the whole time that we were in this spot; a single, tired looking Greenstreak right at the edge of the thin turfed field. As we climbed back out a Marshie flashed past leaving a chequered pattern emblazoned on my retina but only two butterflies after this amount of searching was a very poor return. I couldn’t work out why things were so quiet but the dearth continued as we made out way along the Dyke-side track. We got all the way to the Burnt-tips without another butterfly sighting. Luckily the Burnt-tips were still going strong so we had something to show for our efforts at least.
25-05-2024 3c.JPG
25-05-2024 4c.JPG
25-05-2024 5c.JPG
25-05-2024 6c.JPG
Ordinarily I’d cut through and check out the cross-path at this, the Half-way point but there was a small group on the other end of the track examining the ground on the edge of the diagonal path that cuts across the site. This piqued our interest and so we mooched over and moved to see what they were looking at. As it turned out they were having a chat in between photographing and so we were free to have a look around for ourselves. In a few minutes I notched up a Marshie, Grizzlie, Brown Argus and in the taller grass along the edge of the track a brace of Small Blues. So it seemed like all the butterflies were vacating the usual sheltered hotspots and venturing out into the exposed wilds of the main fields.
25-05-2024 7c.JPG
25-05-2024 8c.JPG
25-05-2024 9c.JPG
25-05-2024 10c.JPG
Having pointed out where everything was we started on the walk back which was equally as quiet as the walk out. Things only picked up once back at the Big Butt when there was another little flourish of butterflies. On the steps up Big Butt a Small Blue appeared amidst the taller grasses, a Dingy held its territory and a little apart from these two a pair of Small Blues were busy making sure that there was the possibility of more of them later in this season or the next. Again it served to remind me that the pattern of this was a lot of walking and nothing doing and then a mad five minutes where everything turned up. It kinda reminded me of roving tit flocks in the winter. The woods will be silent and then there is a cacophony of ‘ticks’ and ‘churrs’ and ‘whistles’ as an unruly band of birds descend on the tees and pick them clean. Perhaps this was why the butterflies seemed to be in clumps – they were trying to avoid getting to a flower that had already been drained of nectar?
After this final flurry of activity the sands of time were exceedingly low and so we decided to beat a hasty retreat back to the car and then back to Salisbury. As is often the way however the butterflies had other ideas and so having left the mating pair of Small Blues behind we were accosted by one final Marshie. Unluckliy it played too hard to get and so with no snaps a quicker step to the car and some very careful driving (staying just on the right side of every speed limit) I eventually strolled through the door with seconds to spare! Exhausted from walking, butterfly chasing and concentration I collapsed into the chair to reminisce and mull over the day. It was a cracker by all accounts, good people well meet, a great constant companion and a delectable array of species. The only bit of negativity nagging slightly round the edges of my consciousness was whilst the diversity was there the numbers were quite limited - where were they all?
25-05-2024 11c.JPG
A few and then nowt
That’s how the butterflies flew
At slow Martin Down

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Compton Down 27-05-2024

The weather wasn’t the best but this season has been a case of ‘go out and be damned’ so I set off for another Glannie fix. The early start was actually for two reasons; the first obviously to get there while any sun lasted but the second was to enjoy the butterflies before the hoards arrived. To that end the breakfast washing up was still drip drying by the time I’d hit the road but as I wandered down the track the sun was still snuggled up in a blanket of cloud. There were a few rips and tears with blue showing through and in the distance I saw a swathe of blue sky so I wasn’t too concerned about the early morning grey and in fact it played to my favour.

Down at the Bank there are only three other people, Calvin being one of them and it was nice to be able to scan along the bank and just see flowers and butterflies instead of a line of hats and heads. The earlier arrivals had been busy as they’d found a couple of Glannies, close together on the strip of verge opposite the Bank. This made for much easier photography as they were ‘on the level’ and sitting wings tightly closed meant that it was only the lightest of breezes that caused any motion. In between getting shots of these two I also ventured along the path and stared up along the Bank itself and managed to spot a further three Glannies roosting from the midway point up a little higher as well as a single, solitary Adonis.
27-05-2024 1.JPG
27-05-2024 2.JPG
27-05-2024 3.JPG
27-05-2024 4.JPG
27-05-2024 5.JPG
I strolled further down the track and once past the bisecting line of trees resume searching. I walked even more slowly and scanned up and down the bank looking for the tell-tale triangle of a roosting Glannie or the vivid orange should they be basking. After the small hollow cut into the bank where the mating pair had been a few days before I spotted one up on the bank. Luckily there was a thin, bare soil track right up the side of the bank which I was able to climb up without trampling anything and the roosting butterfly was still within reach. As I started climbing up I happened to glance down to check my footing and there, hiding under a stunted bit of vegetation was a second Glannie down on the deck. Whilst this one was slightly obstructed it was a joy to see as micro droplets of dew bedecked the edges of its wings. After getting a few shots of both of these butterflies I spotted a third, again within reach but to my right as well as a Grizzlie. It was almost as if the butterflies were deciding to roost within range for once. As I showed Clavin the three Glannies the number rose to a total of 5 as a couple more appeared but this time well out of reach.
27-05-2024 6.JPG
27-05-2024 7.JPG
27-05-2024 8.JPG
27-05-2024 9.JPG
27-05-2024 10.JPG
I worked back to the first half of the bank and managed to relocate the Adonis, count 5 Glannies along the bank and find a Dingy as well. As things were still quiet, I did another pass of the bank, the cooler morning air making the butterflies stick to their positions so finding them again was very easy. This was pretty much the case on the second half of the bank with the three all still in their respective places on either side of, or on the path itself. The other couple had moved though but I did spot two more which I took to be them. As the day was progressing a few more butterflies were starting to appear including a Small Blue in the tussocky grass at the edge of the bank by the bisecting trees. However my butterflying was cut short as then the Motorbikes arrived. To my mind it seemed a little surreal as they looked to be road bikes and not motocross, so climbing up the alternating rocky then slippery clay track seemed a little odd. Each to their own I suppose although the noise and fumes shattered the peace and tranquility I’d been enjoying so I retreated to the Down itself.
27-05-2024 11.JPG
27-05-2024 12.JPG
27-05-2024 13.JPG
27-05-2024 14.JPG
Once over the stile and on the down I got onto a Brown Argus aberrant straight off the bat. It was a snelleni, with white edgings around the black cell spot on the fore wing. I spent as much time with it as it would allow before moving on and skirting round the lower slope along the hedge line. There were Grizzlies and Dingies about in good numbers, another Brown Argus and as for Small Heath, well I had a Marmite moment. It was great to see so many of them flying after a few dismal years for them but now that they seem to be bouncing back with a vengeance they were annoyingly spooking everything in their path. In the first hollow I counted four Glannies bombing about and stopping only occasionally and so I pressed on to the corner hoping to relocate some of the Marshies from a few days before. I bumped into Calvin again who was similarly looking for Marshies but all was quiet and even more so further round the bend of the Down.
27-05-2024 15.JPG
27-05-2024 16.JPG
27-05-2024 17.JPG
27-05-2024 18.JPG
27-05-2024 19.JPG
27-05-2024 20.JPG
27-05-2024 21.JPG
27-05-2024 22.JPG
27-05-2024 23.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

A splendid selection of roosting Glanvilles, Wurzel, with their stunning undersides: they look freshly enamelled! :) :mrgreen: It does sound a pity that the site gets overpopulated with visitors - I'd like to see it sometime, but that would mean a very early start to the day to be ahead of the masses... :)

Cheers,

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Dave :D Don't write it off yet Dave, it's closer from Salisbury than Cotley and I think it was so busy on my first visit as it was very early in their flight - they'd only been out a few days. I've noticed this year that people see it on Facebook or other Social media, race over to have a look and then leave the site alone...on this visit it was much quieter and it was only a couple of days later. Also people don't seem to go looking on the Down itself. In fact on this visit there was just me and one other enthusiast up there :D ...oh and a herd of cattle :shock: :wink:

Compton Down 27-05-2024 Part 2

I retraced my steps and finally got onto a Marshie and then an Adonis before a quick glance across the vale suggested that it might be a good idea to head back to the bank and make the most of the Glannies while the sun still shone. Along the way I spotted a few more Glannies as well as some Marshies, where they’d been hiding I couldn’t say, but they were a welcome sight after so much searching. Another or possibly the same Adonis also put in an appearance as I moved back through the lower slopes steadily making my way towards the stile.
27-05-2024 24.JPG
27-05-2024 25.JPG
27-05-2024 26.JPG
27-05-2024 27.JPG
27-05-2024 28.JPG
One Marshie in particular stood out, not for the pristine livery but for quite the opposite. One fore wing was entirely devoid of scales, looking a little like smoked glass with the underside pattern filtering through. It looked too drastic and uniform in its nature to be caused by general wear and tear from the acts of daily living and in my mind I put it down as water damage; heavy rain washing away all the scales? Whatever the cause I couldn’t tarry as from out of nowhere a herd of cattle had arrived so I grabbed a few shots and once again I beat a retreat, but this time back down to the bank and away from the bovine invasion.
27-05-2024 29.JPG
27-05-2024 30.JPG
As the morning had progressed I shouldn’t have been surprised that the bank was now a lot busier but I was still slightly taken aback as where previously I’d been one of four, then one of two and then all on my todd, now there people all along the bank. Despite this I still managed to spot at least 10 Glannies along the length. One in particular was very fresh and must only just have emerged. Another enthusiast was keeping a close eye on it to try and stop people trampling to get at it and I found that by leaning forward and supporting my weight on two fingers I could get my lens trained on it from a decent angle without having to set foot on the bank itself.
27-05-2024 31.JPG
27-05-2024 32.JPG
When I reached the bisecting line of trees I paused to check around the edges of the more scrubby foliage and there was a little golden blob, which on closer examination turned out to be my first Large Skipper of the season. There was also the smallest Small Blue that I’d seen in a long time. After checking along the second half of the bank my total of Glannies stood at 14 and the bank also turned up a Brown Argus and 2 Marshies to add to the days tally. Most of the Glannies remained higher up on the bank out of reach of my lens but luckily some of the freshest individuals were to be found lower down; where supporting yourself with a single boot step or on two fingers allowed you to get the shot. As there were the freshest they were also the most attractive looking and at one point a small queue had almost formed behind one.
27-05-2024 33.JPG
27-05-2024 34.JPG
27-05-2024 35.JPG
27-05-2024 36.JPG
It’s in there somewhere…
It’s in there somewhere…
27-05-2024 38.JPG
And then the weather caught up with itself and the clouds rolled over in such a fashion that it looked like they were there to stay. With them the threat of the promised rain came to fruition so I packed up and shipped out after the first drops had fallen. I didn’t mind the rain and there had been an ample window of opportunity and my memory card was filled with plenty of goodies!
Prior to the rain
Compton Down produced the goods
Rain comes and offski!

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”