Wurzel

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
millerd

Re: Wurzel

Post by millerd »

Another splendid roster of butterflies Wurzel, particularly that Duchess. :mrgreen: :) "The Duchess of Sidbury" - a character from a costume drama perhaps? The females do produce the most striking variations. :)

Cheers,

Dave
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Yes she is an ab. The victoriana aurelians christened such beauties ab. albomaculata :)
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Dave :D I like the sound of The Duchess of Sidbury and given the reputation of the species as sex maniacs I reckon they'd fit right in on 'Bridgerton' :wink:
Cheers Bugboy :D I was happy to enjoy her but it's all the better for having the correct 'name' 8) Thanks for the ID :D

Sidbury Hill 20-05-2024 Part 3

I almost went home but I do like to check out a new part of the site when I visit and so instead of turning round and returning to the car I carried on along the motorway for tanks up over the rise. On the other side beyond the line of trees rough ground sloped gently off into the distance. On my left one of the tracks ran down, a few White Helleborines standing just on the edge of the wood, and a slither of turf bisected the track. This proved to be a cracking little spot and I wandered up and then down the hill on this little ribbon like island of downland cut off from the mainland by a sea of dust and flint. On the first pass down I notched up 2 Common Blues, a Wall, a Brown Argus and finally some Small Blues 3 or 4. On the walk back up this increased, possibly because I was going slightly slower what with it being uphill. The Common Blues had increased to 3, all having a final sunbathe before settling down. I lost count of the Small Heaths that would pop up from under my feet but the Wall were easier to count as I watched one fly into the territory of another and they both went up in a scrap. Both Grizzlie and Dingy Skippers got onto the list and the sole Brown Argus manifested into three but unlike the Common Blues they were already shut up for the night. The best return though came from the Small Blues with at least a dozen now showing more readily. Most were still active but a couple had chosen their spot and were laying out the beach towels whilst one in particular had doled out the sun cream and was busy catching some rays, its wings spread the widest that I’ve ever seen in this species.
20-05-2024 38.JPG
20-05-2024 39.JPG
20-05-2024 40.JPG
20-05-2024 41.JPG
20-05-2024 41a web cover 3.JPG
20-05-2024 42.JPG
20-05-2024 43.JPG
20-05-2024 44.JPG
20-05-2024 45.JPG
20-05-2024 46.JPG
Eventually as the shadows started lengthening and the butterflies started flying less and closing up more I tore myself away and started to head for home. Only I didn’t make it straight back to the car as a Marshie had other ideas and led me on one final dance across the grasslands. It would fly to somewhere with a patch of yellow flowers nearby and then sup away, occasionally looking to close its wings. I would watch and wait and hope that it would before it would once again take to the air and I would trail after it in the hope of getting some underside shots to go with the growing collection of topside ones. It didn’t come to pass and eventually I felt the metaphorically tap on my shoulder and the Marshie waltzed off with a new partner, a Small Heath that was hassling it. I strolled back to the car, tired but exceedingly happy and toting up the species count to a year best of 16.
20-05-2024 47.JPG
20-05-2024 48.JPG
20-05-2024 49.JPG
At last it happened
A Marshie flew into view
Job done and relax!

(until the next time)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Your seeing lots of Butterflies Wurzel great shots of the Marshies :mrgreen: we don't seem to get those round here, I'll have to exchange shots with you, Heath, for Marshies :lol: Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Goldie :D I'd be up for a swap like that :wink: :lol:

Compton Down 25-05-2024

With the way the weather was going when a good day struck you had to make the most of it. Luckily constant surveillance of several weather Apps looked like paying off as the weather didn’t look too shabby, which was surprising as it was the start of the half term break and a Bank Holiday weekend to boot. Add to this the fact that the Glannies had been spotted at Compton Down and my mind was set to working out where to go and how to get there. When Philzoid arrived at our usual rendezvous we jumped in the car and set to rally driving along the country lanes to Shaftesbury and slightly beyond and were soon pulling into the lay-by as, despite or prompt departure, was full. I hoped that they were all ramblers or dog walkers…

As we strolled down the track we passed a good way before anything flew and the occasional cloud drifted over the sun darkening and then brightening quickly. The first entry to the day’s tally was a Green-veined White which was quickly followed by a brace of Grizzlies on the other side of the track. As we approached the bank it became apparent that plenty of people had had the same thought process as myself and most of the cars in the car park obviously weren’t dog walkers and ramblers. Still it lent a more convivial air to proceedings and I was able to catch up with a few people from previous trips in between snaps. At the start of the bank there had been 3 Glannies in quick succession as well as a Marshie. It was strange seeing them all quite close together and then none despite the habitat looking exactly the same to my eyes. Other butterflies that vied for our attention here were Grizzlies, Dingies, Brown Argus, Small Blue and Small Heath which was good really as the Glannies in this section seemed to prefer the top of the bank safe from my macro lens. There were four in view at any one time further along the bank close to where the trees spilled down the bank from the hedge demarcating the two downland reserves. Two were far to high to start with but would occasionally drift down the slope and fly along the track whilst one remained stubbornly open winged just out of reach. Luckily the final one posed very nicely at ¾ wings open right at the edge of the bank.
25-05-2024 1.JPG
25-05-2024 2.JPG
25-05-2024 3.JPG
25-05-2024 4.JPG
25-05-2024 5.JPG
Past the bisecting line of trees to the next section and there were a few more Glannies and another hide away Marshie. There were also several Whites flying of which a brace of Brimstones and a Large White were the only clearly discernible species. A few more Grizzlies fluttered about at the margins of the bank and the stony track and these encouraged me to spend a little more time here which had the added bonus of being a lot quieter. In fact, I had the whole of this section of the bank to myself. I made the most of this temporary solitude by finding a few grounded Glannies some of which closed up to reveal the stunning underside patterning. Images were racking up nicely on the memory card and then I spotted the piece de resistance; a mating pair. I got a few shots and then made a fatal/rookie error and announced their presence quite quickly. Before I knew it there were a cluster of people around the pair and I found myself somehow at the back of the queue. I left them to it and occasionally snuck back in for a few shots in between watching other Glannies.
25-05-2024 6.JPG
25-05-2024 7.JPG
25-05-2024 8.JPG
Interestingly once they’ve un-coupled they stayed together for some time, just perched together, wing tips gently caressing. Philzoid and I then retreated slowly back up the track with Glannies all along the way and a single Small Blue which was the only other butterfly behaving sensibly!
25-05-2024 9.JPG
25-05-2024 10.JPG
25-05-2024 11.JPG
25-05-2024 12.JPG
25-05-2024 13.JPG
25-05-2024 14.JPG
25-05-2024 15.JPG
25-05-2024 16.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

That's a splendid set of Glanvilles, Wurzel, especially the pair. :) :mrgreen: I think my benchmark for the species is still that day we had with them a few years back at Wrecclesham. :) A bonus to get to see Marshies with them too - somewhere to include on a future itinerary I think.

Cheers,

Dave
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Wurzel wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 7:46 pm Cheers Goldie :D I'd be up for a swap like that :wink: :lol:

Compton Down 25-05-2024
...and were soon pulling into the lay-by as, despite or prompt departure, was full. I hoped that they were all ramblers or dog walkers…
I've stopped off at Compton or Fontmell Downs a few times on our way further into Dorset at various times of year and always found it busy. It seems to be popular with all sorts.

Great Glanville shots particulaly the two together :mrgreen: :D

Cheers,

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Dave :D "I think my benchmark for the species is still that day we had with them a few years back at Wrecclesham. :D :D " Was that the day we were visited by 'Fenton!' :wink: :lol: Definitely worth a trip as there are a couple of other great sites very near by :wink:
Cheers Neil :D I've since discovered that early in the morning is nice and quiet and another trick is to wait until the images have been put up on 'The Evil Book of Face' as then the majority of people move onto a different site/species :wink:

Compton Down Part 2

After this Philzoid and I left the masses and made our way up the track and then up onto the Down proper. A couple more Glannies flew along the bottom track along the hedgerow and as we followed the track up and down we carried on racking up the species with Greenstreak and more Small Heaths, Grizzlies and Dingies. We kept working along the bottom of the hedge as this seemed to act as a magnet for the butterflies and in the next little alcove a Brown Argus held court battering anything that drew near. A Greenstreak kept out of the way of the small chocolate and orange psycho by sticking to the taller Hawthorns that were sprinkled across the bottom of the down. There was also a Marshie that dropped in and was promptly sent packing by the Brown Argus. This got my goat a little as there was something odd about the Marshie, it was almost two tone. Luckily it didn’t fly too far and I was able to grab a few shots before it decided to move on. It was swiftly replaced by a second more conventional looking Marshie.
Two tone
Two tone
25-05-2024 18.JPG
We moved on slightly only to pause for a dazzling mustard coloured moff – it was a Wood Tiger, a stunning looking moth and a species that I’d seen here before and also one which was actually sitting still. It seemed that we were walking in a butterfly wonderland and so our progress was ridiculously slow as every few steps something else would appear and tempt us to photograph it. A Small heath here, a Grizzlie there or even a fine looking Marshie. I knew that they could be very variable but today was proving just how variable whilst still keeping to the familiar pattern/lay-out. The next couple proved a prime example. The first was very dark looking from afar and when I got in closer I could see that the ground colour was black and not dark brown. I’ve seen the effect light can have on Marshies in the past; under cloud cover they appear black and then as the sun comes out they lighten to a milk chocolate brown, but this one was black in full sun. The second took on a more yellow hue as it flew due to the nice combination of light orange and cream chequers on a brown background.
Wood Tiger moth
Wood Tiger moth
25-05-2024 20.JPG
25-05-2024 21.JPG
Quite dark
Quite dark
25-05-2024 23.JPG
25-05-2024 24.JPG
After much more stumbling and pausing for this and that we reached the corner of the down and the area that the Marshies have a penchant for. Sure enough a couple took to the air including one that was struggling to fly as she was so eggbound. She was also a bit of a looker with the usual oranges and cream replaced in part by whites giving it the slight appearance of a Cynthia’s Frit. I spent a good while with this one as she bumbled about and managed to pick up a nice selection of shots including some undersides. I once again called out and Philzoid and Calvin came to the viewing, Calvin with a Marshie hitching a lift on his camera hood. A pale and greasy looking Marshie appeared at one point but I found myself back with the ‘Stunner’ without even realizing that she’d lured me back.
25-05-2024 25.JPG
25-05-2024 26.JPG
25-05-2024 27.JPG
25-05-2024 28.JPG
25-05-2024 29.JPG
25-05-2024 30.JPG
25-05-2024 31.JPG
25-05-2024 32.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, you've had some cracking shots lately, those Marshie shots are great :mrgreen: Goldie :D
millerd

Post by millerd »

That is a terrific Marshie variation, Wurzel - it looks like a completely different species but I couldn't tell you which one! :) :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Dave

Return to “Personal Diaries”