Bugboys mission

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
bugboy

Re: Bugboys mission

Post by bugboy »

David M wrote:You've ticked off quite a few lifers thus far in 2015, Bugboy. How many do you have left?
I have 14 left if I stick to the strict 59 UK tally. Next will be the Heath Fritillary and then hopefully White Admiral then that will most probably be it as far as lifers are concerned for this year, it's been a good year so far though :D

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

You never know a few Pale & Bergers Clouded Yellows and Long Tailed Blue might come over this year. Yellow Legged Torts might also be seen if they have managed to breed or also migrate again this year.

50 Species in the South of the UK is the best i have done in a year.

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Good to know the Glanvilles are still emerging Mrsp0ck, seems like next years generation is secured :)

Thank you Katrina

hahahaha @ Wurzel. Don't worry, I'm extremely :mrgreen: at you living close to the WWH (Wurzels Wiltshire Hillside). It was pretty amazing on my day, must be spectacular when you get perfect weather!

Walthamstow Marshes 3rd June

So I got back home quite early and thought I should check out my local patch. Quick check on my Small Tortoiseshell larvae near the entrance revealed they have all dispersed and I could only find one individual. Some others are probably already pupating so only a few weeks to go before I start to see the flash of day glow orange again :)
Small Tortoiseshell larvae, Walthamstow Marshes #14.JPG
Other than that there was bugger all on the butterfly front. I didn't do the whole site, just a meadow which normally has a few Common Blues now. Hopefully this warm spell will wake a few up. Wont be able to have another look until the middle of next week but I live in hope :)

David M

Post by David M »

bugboy wrote:I have 14 left if I stick to the strict 59 UK tally. Next will be the Heath Fritillary and then hopefully White Admiral then that will most probably be it as far as lifers are concerned for this year, it's been a good year so far though
Surely you'll have time for that most venerable late summer species, Brown Hairstreak?

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Quite possibly. I did see one last year but haven't got a picture of one, therefore it doesn't quite count as a lifer. Although the one I saw was almost certainly a released individual so perhaps the next one I see at a known colony should really count as a lifer..... :?

David M

Post by David M »

Irrespective of the provenance of the individual you saw, an audience with this butterfly (particularly the female) is possibly the finest available experience of the UK butterfly enthusiast.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

David M wrote:Irrespective of the provenance of the individual you saw, an audience with this butterfly (particularly the female) is possibly the finest available experience of the UK butterfly enthusiast.
As was proved as I gazed at her for over a minute with a fully working, yet completely forgotton, camera hanging round my neck!

kevling

Post by kevling »

Buggy,

Enjoying your diary, but slightly envious of your list of species seen. I'm floundering behind you at present
:cry:

Hope to improve by one this weekend with a Swallowtail at Strumpshaw Fen.

Keep em coming

Regards Kev

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks kev, you might be able to catch me up on a few species over the next few days, working til next wednesday so no time for butterflying, and the weathers taking a massive turn for the better! :(

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Box Hill & Denbies

A few days at work and not much time to catch up on here never mind actual butterflying. My few brief visits on here have left me desperate to get back out in th field with lovely imagies of Swallowtails, Heath Fritillaries and 'exotic' Poplar Admirals!

Today had been forcast as improving weatherwise and since I haven't been to Box Hill for a fair few weeks that was the chosen destination. No particular species in mind but I was hoping for perhaps an early Dark Green Fritillary.

It was rather chilly when I got there at around 9, a few chinks of blue in the see of cloud not doing much to raise the temperature but the weather people had promised it would burn off and reach the dizzy heights of 20 degrees. A good 10 minute hike up the side of the hill soon put paid to the chill but it took another hour or so for the first butterfly to show up as the blue chinks in the clouds started to become a little more numerous. As is now becoming pretty much standard for 2015, there was a 'stiff breeze' blowing so it's no surprise my first butterfly was hunkered low down, a worn but still attractive female Common Blue
Common Blue female, Box Hill #1.JPG
This was quickly followed up by an equally worn male
Common Blue male, Box Hill #2.JPG
and then a second, fresher female
Common Blue female, Box Hill #9.JPG
When I stood up I realised I was standing right next to a Buckthorn and a bit of searching amongst the nibbled leaves revealed 3 Brimstone cats of which this one was the largest:
Brimstone larvae, Box Hill #1.JPG
Brimstone larvae, Box Hill #3.JPG
I think I'm right in saying the glistening golden droplets at the tip of each hair are akin to honeydew?

A little further on I came across a beautifully fresh male Large Skipper
Large Skipper male, Box Hill #4.JPG
After feeding he settled and seemed to have a bit of fluff stuck to his tongue, he kept coiling and extending it. I tried to catch him mid uncoiling and am totally gutted he slipped out of focus as I took this shot, so close yet so far (I blame the wind :oops:!)
Large Skipper male, Box Hill #7.JPG
Moving further along the bank where you can find Silver Spotted Skippers later in the year I felt I was being watched:
Pheasants, Box Hill #8.JPG
I believe I was being judged on my fitness level, and when the pair decided to carry on doing Pheasanty things it would seem they had concluded (quite rightly) that I was too unfit to run up the hill and make a grab for them.... :oops: :lol:

The promised sun still wasn't making much of an impression, indeed the cloud seemed to be thickening. I did see a couple more Common Blue males and 1 Brown Argus so I started to make my way back and head over to Denbies for the afternoon, hoping Susie's little mantra that it never lets you down would rescue the day. I stopped of briefly to check on the Brimstones and the larger one had moved to have a little snack:
Brimstone larvae, Box Hill #8.JPG
The walk to Denbies, as I've mentioned before is a pleasant hour, a couple of Speckled Woods appeared in a brief sunny spell
Speckled Wood female, North Downs Way #2.JPG
and there were lots of these little fellas hiding in plain sight on Hogweed leaves, Speckled Bush Cricket nympths
Speckled Cricket nymph, North Downs Way.JPG
An hour later I arrived at the promised land with no sign of a change in the weather. As I passed through the gate onto the hillside a couple of photograthers were packing up their gear. We chatted for a bit, they had been here since 9 and had hardly seen any butteflies and had instad been 'chasing' Orchids. As they left a large gap in the clouds arrived, I turned to continue my walk and immediately 4 Small Heaths flew up and I saw a female Common Blue looking to lay
Common Blue female, Denbies Hillside #4.JPG
Denbies never fails :wink:

It was still windy but gradually, very gradually the blue sky became more prominant. In the end I spent 2 hours roaming the Hillside, disturbing lots of Small Heaths and aged Adonis Blues as well as Burnet Campion Moths by the bucket load.
Small Heath, Denbies Hillside #3.JPG
Adonis Blue male, Denbies Hillside #1.JPG
Adonis Blue male, Denbies Hillside #6.JPG
there's something about male Adonis Blues, they still manage to look good even when worn and tired looking! Still, you can't turn down a nice fresh female :D
Adonis Blue female, Denbies Hillside #1.JPG
A male Clouded Buff moth lead me a merry dance as I tried and failed to get a decent picture, not the most approachable moth at all!
Clouded Buff, Denbies Hillside #3.JPG
and a lace Border settled low down in the grass giving me a challenge
Lace Border, Denbies Hillside #2.JPG
Despite all this butterfly action the highlight of my day though was floral, I've never seen a Bee Orchid before so I was very happy to see several in full flower :D
Bee Orchid, Denbies Hillside #11.JPG
I needed to leave at 3 which was very upsetting since the clouds had mostly vanished and the temperature was easily above 20 now. But I dragged myself off just as a male Meadow Brown appeared, himself being dragged along in the wind. I followed him for a bit in the hope of getting a pic but I couldn't get close enough even for a record shot. Still another 2015 first :) .

The walk back was full of Speckled Woods now. Stopping to try and get one posing on some bracken I noticed a chink of red out the corner of my eye, a Red admiral had sneaked in to get some rays. He was a bit lively so didn't manage anything close but judging by his condition he must have been a recent arrival from the continent
Red Admiral, North Downs Way #2.JPG
I came across another continental visitor a while later in the form of this Silver Y, frantically feeding from Horseshoe Vetch
Silver Y, North Downs Way #2.JPG
So a mixed day, not the best days butterflying but far from the worst. Just hope the sun continues to shine since I have 5 days off coming up with a planned trip to see Heath Fritillaries and we all know how much they dislike a cloudy day!

kevling

Post by kevling »

Buggie,

I like the second Adonis photo with it casting it's shadow on the ground below. Nice :D

Regards Kev

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks kev,

Took a few shots playing with the shadow, that was my favourite one :)

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking proboscis shots on the Large Skipper Bugboy :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Wurzel wrote:Cracking proboscis shots on the Large Skipper Bugboy :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Cracking as long as you don't enlarge it and see how out of focus it is! :oops:

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Although the weather has'nt been at it's kindest this summer your species list is still looking very impressive...enjoy these first species sightings Buggy they will remain with you for ever :wink:

Regards,

Bill :D

"When in doubt - venture out"

Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks Bill, lots more memories still to be had :D

Chobham Common

I had intended to browse my local patch over the weekend but the thick grey clouds had put me off saturday and with a birthday celebration at a cocktail bar that evening, sunday was definately not going to happen even if the weather was good so that was spent in a darkened room watching Dinosaurs eat other dinosaurs and people, eating junk food!

Today however, I felt substantially better and I was after Silver-studded Blues (and hopefully a bit of birding as well, primarily after the Dartford warbler). The weather forcast claimed cloudy, then sunny then clouding over again so I figured an early start to get there to catch any sun that appeared. I got there a little after 8 and yes it was rather cloudy and although not too cold, I wasn't expecting to see any butterflies for an hour or two. Birding it was then and so off I went. I had familiarised myself with the Dartfords call the night before and it didn't take me long at all to locate one. After that, as often happens when you know what you're looking for, they were everywhere (or one was stalking me). I only managed one long distant shot, but it's clear enough to be identifyable so I'm happy with it
Dartford Warbler, Chobham Common.JPG
The clouds took a long time to thin, but it was becoming brighter. I wandered around keeping my eye's peeled for any flash of blue but only saw Common Heath Moths for the first few hours, constantly tormenting me in my perepheral vision.
Common Heath male, Chobham Common #4.JPG
I've no idea what these beetles are but there were lots of them peppered over a young birch tree
Beetles on Birch, Chobham Common #2.JPG
A shallow pond drew my attention. Hoping for some Odonata action several small moths flew up as I walked towards the edge. As usual I needed to know what I'd seen so I followed one a short distance and found a lovely Brown China-mark Moth :)
Brown China-mark, Chobham Common #1.JPG
Also nearby was a male Longhorn moth
Nemophora degeerella
Nemophora degeerella
Sometime after this I did finally see my first butterfly of the day, a Small Heath, the first of many. This one giving me a teasing glimpse of upperside
Small Heath, Chobham Common #3.JPG
As usual they did that 'Small Heath trick' of finding that one annoying blade of grass to hide behind!
Small Heath, Chobham Common #5.JPG
The sun was out properly by 11 but still no blue of any description. Lots of Heaths of every description though, Small, Common and a Latticed. There were also lots of Stonechats. Several times I found myself being scalded by them, obviously having absent mindedly having wandered near a nest.
Stonechat male, Chobham Common #1.JPG
Stonechat female, Chobham Common #1.JPG
Stonechat pair, Chobham Common #2.JPG
Stonechat male, Chobham Common #8.JPG
Shortly after these pictures I did actually see a blue, a male who was on a mission to get somewhere and was in no mood to sit and let me know what it was, I was hoping he had some silvery studds and was the first of many.

Just after noon I finally found a slightly less active Blue and managed a record shot or two (one of which was horridly over exposed and no longer exists!)
Silver-studded Blue male, Chobham Common #1.JPG
Then he was off, quite likely the same one as I had seen before. More wandering around only revealed more Heaths and since I had covered quite a large portion of the site I began to think I was a week or two early for the Silver-studds here :(. Oh well, it was still a nice day and I had ticked off an avian lifer :)

I set off on a slow meander back to the train station and stopped at another pool. Now it was sunny there were lots of damselflies, blue ones who never settled close enough to ID (too blue to be anything other than Common Blue or Azure though), and several Large Red including a pair in tandem which I followed and watched as the female attached her abdomen to form the unique Odonata mating posture :)
Large Red Damselfies mating, Chobham Common #1.JPG
Large Red Damselfies mating, Chobham Common #2.JPG
Large Red Damselfies mating, Chobham Common #3.JPG
Large Red Damselfies mating, Chobham Common #4.JPG
Large Red Damselfies mating, Chobham Common #9.JPG
Large Red Damselfies mating, Chobham Common #13.JPG
A little further on I stumbled across another blue. This one was definately not in a rush to go anywhere so I figured I had finally got my chance to get some Silver-studded closeups. I watched as he fluttered around some Birds-foot Trefoil, almost female like, presumably looking for one, maybe a female was emerging in the undergrowth as I watched :D and then he landed...

Common Blue female, Chobham Common #1.JPG
:shock:

It was sometime more before he......she opened her wings to bask revealing why I had been mistaken
Common Blue female, Chobham Common #5.JPG
She was obviously looking to lay and although there was quite a large patch of lush Birds-foot Trefoil in full sun she really wasn't happy with it for some reason and finally found some scrappy, trodden on Medicago sp. at the side of the path :?

well after this I continued my walk back stopping off at the first pond I had visited. Loads of Blue Damselflies now, this time I could ID some as Azure Damselflies, this is a young female:
Azure Damselfly female, Chobham Common #1.JPG
I was also rather pleased to find something I last saw as a kid, a Green Tortoise Beetle :) very cute
Green Tortoise Beetle (Cassida sp.), Chobham Common #3.JPG
Green Tortoise Beetle (Cassida sp.), Chobham Common #10.JPG
This tiny micro moth also caught my eye in the grass and when I got the macro lense on it, it really sparkled even in the shade!
Glyphipterix thrasonella
Glyphipterix thrasonella
I played a little game of chase with a Green Tiger Beetle, They're tricksy little buggers!
Green Tiger Beetle, Chobham Common #1.JPG
and just as I was leaving the site another Blue made an appearance, this one turned out to be a male Common.
Common Blue male, Chobham Common #1.JPG
So not quite what I was intending but a good day nonetheless....tomorrow Blean Wood and Heath Fritillary and the weather forcast looks perfect!

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Good luck with the Heaths Buggy. I was there on Sunday and they were in good numbers :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

You got your digi-cam on overtime Buggy, its great to see all those critters your capturing!!!

Cheers,

Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Willrow wrote:You got your digi-cam on overtime Buggy, its great to see all those critters your capturing!!!

Cheers,

If it moves but sits still long enough it'll get its picture taken by me! :D

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Bugboy just catching up on postings, interesting photo's of the moths buggy, They seem to have done very well this year so far in spite of the weather Goldie :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”