May 2015

Discussion forum for sightings.
Testudo Man

Re: May 2015

Post by Testudo Man »

Painted Lady "fly through" in my back garden last weekend. The Butterfly looked like it was going to land on my brick wall for a second...but just kept on flying!

Red Admiral (finally seen one!!) on the 27/5/15 :D poor quality photo, but great to once again see this species on the wing. Other butterflies seen on the day were - Green-veined White, Large White, Small White, both male and female Orange-tips.

Location - Kent, cheers Paul.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Testudo Man wrote:Painted Lady "fly through" in my back garden last weekend. The Butterfly looked like it was going to land on my brick wall for a second...but just kept on flying
Here they come :)

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
EricY

Post by EricY »

Just for the record, I saw a Painted Lady in Denge wood Kent on May 15th & another one @ Martin Down (Wilts I think) on Saturday May 23rd. Unfortunately no photo of either. Eric
DaveO'B

Post by DaveO'B »

I spent a couple of hours on Wednesday morning (27th) at one of the N. Yorks PBF sites. A combination of sunshine & clouds (mainly clouds as the morning progressed!) meant that they were quite easy to photograph, settling for long periods when the sun went in. I counted 8, and only 1 other butterfly, an unidentified white some distance away.
Attachments
Pearl-bordered Fritillary 4033b.jpg
Pearl-bordered Fritillary 4060b.jpg
Scott Barron

Post by Scott Barron »

Spotted my 1st Silver-studded Blue this morning 30th May at Upton Towans in Cornwall, a freshly emerged male. 12 species in total were recorded in a two hour walk before the clouds came in.
Attachments
20150530_114340.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Pretty ordinary weather conditions this morning on the Gower, but I managed to find one Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary on Fairwood Common and 33 Marsh Fritillaries at Welshmoor:
1SPBFuns2(1).jpg
1MFups2(1).jpg
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

First large skipper today in the fields near my home in Sandown outskirts plus a good female orange-tip who posed for photos.
Ian
Attachments
18080619758_2891b18864_z.jpg
17645831034_2a4e0b3a5d_z.jpg
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

May is about to leave us, I think we could all be forgiven for saying we've had better ones :roll: still I've had a great past week at Aberbargoed Grasslands NNR, Gwent (Monmouthshire) where the Marsh Fritillary numbers have been building towards a peak, yesterday I spent a few hours doing a rather casual count until reaching 70 - I then moved to other areas of the reserve checking for other species; which included at least 8 Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary and low to mid-teen numbers for Dingy Skipper, Small Heath and Common Blue.

I was delighted to add a colony of Chimney Sweeper moths to my reserve list, this species had been awol for many years, great to rediscover them in a rather quiet corner of the reserve :)
Beautifully posed Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary
Beautifully posed Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary
Basking Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary.
Basking Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary.
Marsh Fritillary on Heath-spotted Orchid
Marsh Fritillary on Heath-spotted Orchid
Rediscovered Chimney Sweeper...!!!
Rediscovered Chimney Sweeper...!!!
Half and half S P-b Frit...
Half and half S P-b Frit...
Lets hope that June shines on us all a little more than May has 8) :wink: and the bl**d* wind decides to go on holiday... :lol:

Bill :D

"When in doubt - venture out"
Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
dilettante

Post by dilettante »

Lovely photos, Bill, especially the first and the third
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Butterfly seen on Mull :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :o :o :o :o :o

Saturday 30th one tiny (Tortoiseshell size) tatty Peacock. Calgary Bay at edge of small wood - typical spring habitat as it kept pace with me along the path.
Peacock-habitat-Calgary..jpg
Jack
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

dilettante wrote:Lovely photos, Bill, especially the first and the third
Thank you kindy dilettante :wink:

Bill :D
Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

Looking again at my two underside Glanville fritillary photos on 21 May and 23 May, is the first one an aberration as there are no black marks on the underside of the upper wing? It looks like the three photos in the species- specific album by Wurzel. :?: Ian
Last edited by Ian Pratt on Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

A good six hour session this Saturday (30/5/15) target species being Small Blue and Adonis Blue.

Other species on the wing were - Green Hairstreak, Brimstone, Large White, Common Blue, just the one Brown Argus...and once again, a quick flash sighting of a Red Admiral.

Location - Darland Banks, Gillingham, Kent.

Several photos, cheers Paul.
30th-May-2015-to-600a.jpg
30th-May-2015-to-600b.jpg

This image is not cropped, unusual to see the Brimstone with open wings!
30th-May-2015-to-600e.jpg
30th-May-2015-to-600g.jpg

This Adonis Blue appears to have a damaged/deformed wing.
30th-May-2015-to-600f.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Such a shame that, TM. A perfect specimen on that last image would have been stunning. Never seen Adonis Blues on Ox-Eye Daisies before.

A lovely contrast.
lee3764

Post by lee3764 »

Jack Harrison wrote:Butterfly seen on Mull :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :o :o :o :o :o

Saturday 30th one tiny (Tortoiseshell size) tatty Peacock. Calgary Bay at edge of small wood - typical spring habitat as it kept pace with me along the path.
Peacock-habitat-Calgary..jpg
Jack
Ahh....Calgary Bay, Mull! Visited there in 1996 and found the Transparent Burnet Moth on R/Hand side of bay as you look out to sea! Lovely place indeed! 8)
Cheers,

Lee Slaughter (Cornwall).
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

David M wrote:Such a shame that, TM. A perfect specimen on that last image would have been stunning. Never seen Adonis Blues on Ox-Eye Daisies before.

A lovely contrast.
Sorry for the late reply on this David(just got back from the Isle Of White!)...and yes, after that Adonis Blue had spent some time feeding on my salts/sweat off my hand, i did place the butterfly down onto the Ox-eye Daisy.

However, not long after this, Im pretty sure i shot several images of a worn female Adonis blue, perched on an Ox-eye Daisy. If not an Adonis Blue, then a female Common Blue...I will have to check over those photos to be sure of the species.

Cheers Paul.
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

just got back from the Isle Of White!

Where is that?! :roll:
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

...just got back from the Isle Of White!
Living on the Isle of Mull I am forever being asked if that is the place that Paul McCartney sang about :!:

Jack
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

Ian Pratt wrote:just got back from the Isle Of White!

Where is that you ask?!...well, its in a "Parallel Universe", right next to the real "Isle of Wight". :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

All joking aside, i should thank you Ian, because without you pointing out the exact location for these beauties, when you posted your IOW Glanville photos, then Im sure i wouldnt have been able to find them so easy, so thanks very much for that.

Cheers Paul.

Return to “Sightings”