Nick Broomer

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Freeman

Re: Nick Broomer

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Nick,

Cracking shot of the Brimstone and Wood white, I would give 10/10 if it wasn't for the damaged hindwing on the Brimstone. Must try harder to get a better specimen next time :wink: :lol:

Cheers,

Neil

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Thank you David, Goldie and Neil for your kind comments. Appreciated as always.

That damn damage to the Brimstones wing will haunt me forever. :roll: :lol: 8)

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

A butterfly's perspective

Cheesed off Painted Lady

I have just flown half way across Europe, across the English Channel. Managed to reach a nice, well known wood in Surrey, and the sun disappears.

I'm cold, hungry and tired. I need to recuperate from my travels, have a sleep in peace................then all of a sudden this plonker of a photographer, shoves a camera in my face..............can you bloody believe it...................
IMG_0854.JPG

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Nice one Nick... :lol: :lol:

Bill :D

"When in doubt - venture out"

Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Nick
I have a gut feeling that wasn't the last Painted Lady you'll see this year.
I think things are shaping up for another invasion of this species. I think it was 2009 when i witnessed
thousands on the Isle of Wight. So many that every flower had several competing for it.
At Ventnor Botanical Gardens, some young girls were frightened as the Butterflies flew up when
disturbed.
It could be a good year !.
TREVOR.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Or was it thinking "hang let me get my make-up on, and that's not my best side either! :x " :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Nick Broomer wrote:
I have just flown half way across Europe, across the English Channel. Managed to reach a nice, well known wood in Surrey, and the sun disappears.
Welcome to the UK!

One wonders why they bother.

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Thank you everyone for your comments. Appreciated. :D

All the best, Nick.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Nick, they've arrived in the North one was seem at Warton Craig, not by me unfortunately Goldie :D

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Hi Goldie, lets hope its a painted Lady year and that there is a large influx of them to our shores. I'm sure you will see one soon enough, fingers crossed. :D

I hope your eye has now completely healed. :D

All the best, Nick.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Nick, Eye nearly completely healed I 'm really surprised at the difference it's made, I can't drive just yet another week then I should be okay then it's all systems go :lol: Goldie :D

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Hi Goldie, thats brilliant news.

All the best, Nick.

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

A few photos from a trip to Northern Turkey. All photos taken between 31st May and 4th June. Help is needed for some of the IDs, thanks.
IMG_1110-1.jpg
Wall
IMG_1153.JPG
Dappled White
IMG_1121.JPG
male Mallow Skipper
IMG_1323-1.jpg
Wall
IMG_1483-1.jpg
?
IMG_1552-1.jpg
Large White

[more to follow]

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Butterflies of Turkey continued
IMG_1733-1.jpg
Clouded Yellow, male
IMG_1502-1.jpg
?

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Hi Nick.

Your first mystery butterfly is a lattice brown, Kirinia roxelana, a species that never ventures into western Europe and so one that I've never seen. But it's very distinctive and this is a good picture. I'm sure the skipper in your last post is another mallow skipper.

I look forward to any more Turkish postings!

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Thank you Guy, thats brilliant and appreciated.

A few more from Turkey.
IMG_1239-1.jpg
Ilex Hairstreak [false ?] and Bush Cricket
IMG_0973.JPG
Blue Family
IMG_1390-1.jpg
Cleopatra, female ?
IMG_1447-1.jpg
Meadow Brown
IMG_1765-1.jpg
Goranus Swallowtail

One more post to follow.

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Hi Nick. I agree with ilex hairstreak (false ilex is not found in Turkey). Your 'blue family' butterfly is a female Loew's blue, Plebejus loewii. I'd like a description of the upperside of the brimstone species, if you had the opportunity to see it in flight, before committing myself to that! Finally, the meadow brown is not the familiar British species, Maniola jurtina, but most probably Maniola telmessia, a related Turkish species.

Great stuff - and amazing photos!

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Nick, that's a great Swallow Tail photo, I'm hoping to go to the Broads shortly if my photos turn out to be as good I'll be thrilled Goldie :D

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Thank you again Guy for your IDs and, your comment on the photos. Again, appreciated.

I believe the so called Cleopatra is infact a beautiful male Brimstone. I was just hoping i was wrong as i have never seen a Cleopatra, oh well, can't have everything.

Thank you for your kind comment Goldie. Appreciated as always. I hope your successful with the Swallowtails as i'm sure you will be. :D
IMG_1774-1.jpg
Grounded Swallowtail
IMG_1427-1.jpg
Brimstone
IMG_1318.JPG
Wall
IMG_1516.JPG
Small Copper
IMG_1687-1.jpg
Bath White
IMG_1847.JPG
Large White
IMG_1720.JPG
Mallow Skipper
IMG_1873-1.jpg
Brimstone
IMG_1878-1.jpg
?
IMG_1367-1.jpg
Male Clouded Yellow

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Is that unknown one a Large Wall, Lasiommata maera? Just trying to sneak in before Guy :wink:
All fantastic pictures :)

Some addictions are good for the soul!

Return to “Personal Diaries”