Dukes in Gloucs

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
njs5870

Dukes in Gloucs

Post by njs5870 »

been a bit busy recently but finally going tomorrow to see hopefully the dukes at rodborough in gloucs. Weather seems ok ish but isn't as good as originally forecast. It will be warm enough won't it?
Glostopcat

Re: Dukes in Gloucs

Post by Glostopcat »

The Dukes should be on the wing at Rodborough Common still. They can also be found at Edge Common and at Prestbury Hill too. I was at the latter site yesterday when I met Neil Freeman briefly and we saw around six dukes in all in both parts of the reserve. All were in very good condition.
njs5870

Post by njs5870 »

thanks for the reply
David M

Post by David M »

Myself and Willrow will be heading up there tomorrow and to be honest, the partially cloudy conditions could be a bonus!

Dukes are relatively easy to find if you know their preferences and once located, can be observed fairly easily as this is a territorial species which won't fly sudden large distances in the same way that several other species do.

I'm hopeful that a fair few Adonis Blues will be on the wing too, and again, cloudy conditions may suppress their natural 'hyperactivity'.
njs5870

Post by njs5870 »

No need to worry. It was a nice and sunny and everything showed well. Saw c10 in the end. Also saw a few Marsh Frits nearby.
Picture 150523 084.jpg
Picture 150523 047.jpg
njs5870

Post by njs5870 »

Someone said they'd seen an Adonis but I didn't. Also missed a Small Blue at the Marsh Frit site
David M

Post by David M »

Willrow and I saw 10-15 Adonis Blues but they can generally only be found in the very warmest microclimates on this vast site.

Dukes were probably the third most common species. Including Selsley Common, I reckon we racked up 50+.

Glad you found a few (as well as the Marshies).

Return to “General”