Nick Broomer

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Nick Broomer

Re: Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Another photo from the weekend.
IMG_7960.JPG

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

A visit to Chiddingfold Wood yesterday produced, male and female Wood White, Brimstone, Green-veined White, Orange-tip, Peacock and a Broad-bordered Bee HawkMoth.
IMG_8166.JPG
Male Wood White

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
kevling

Post by kevling »

Nick,

Great photo of the Wood White, a species I am yet to see in UK. You've whetted my appitite.

Regards Kev

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Hi Kev,

thank you for your kind comment. Appreciated.

I hope you get to see one for yourself soon.

All the best, Nick.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Nick, lovely Wood White, I to have yet to see one, do they have a second brood in August :?: That's my only chance of seeing them Goldie :D

David M

Post by David M »

Excellent image of the Wood White, Nick. It must be great having this species so close to home.

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Hi Goldie and David,

Thank you both for your kind comments.

Goldie, the Wood Whites will be flying in August, but don't leave it to late.

David, it is great to have Wood Whites so close to home, but its such a shame that both Small and Pearl-bordered fritillaries which used to fly in Chiddingfold Wood, have been lost to Surrey. Beautiful butterflies that are so photogenic.

All the best, Nick.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Hi Nick,
I think Pearls and Small Pearls have such specific habitat requirements that they are unable to
adapt to changing conditions, overgrown sites are one problem, restricting access to Violets.
There must be other factors also, but what is certain, if things aren't right they die out.

Best wishes,
TREVOR.

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Thanks for your comments, trevor.

Not a very good snap shot [but a record photo anyway] of the Broad-bordered Bee Hawkmoth seen at Chiddingfold Wood on Monday 4th May.
IMG_8153.JPG

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Great photo of the Hawk Moth Nick and is that Flower Bugle :?: , I saw them at Gait Barrow and I think their a favourite of the Pearl and Pearl BF so hope fully they'll be out shortly at there , I'll have to check them out soon they weren't out when I visited on Monday.
Thanks for the info on the WW I should be there early August with luckGoldie :D

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Hi Goldie,

thank you for the kind comment. Yes, the flower in the photo is Bugle, a favourite with both the Small and Pearl-bordered Fritillaries.

All the best, Nick.

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Same Butterfly, different light conditions, over two days.

I found this roosting male Green-veined White on the 4th May,
IMG_8235.JPG
and here is the same individual on the following day.
IMG_8299.JPG
Much darker conditions for photography and the wind was playing havoc with the poor butterfly, as it was blown off the Cuckoo Flower and, down into the vegetation below. Safe from the gale force winds, you would think that the butterfly would stay put, but no. This brave, but quite silly individual, climbed up this Sedge stem, and into the wind which continued to batter the poor insect all over the place.
IMG_8276.JPG
One second the subject was in front of you , the next, virtually the whole of the butterfly had vanished as the butterfly was blown all over the place. Now you see me, now you don't.
IMG_8482.JPG
This photo was taken an hour and 45min. later on the same day, with the butterfly back on the Cuckoo Flower, slightly better light conditions and, a better photo.

kevling

Post by kevling »

Nick,

Lovely GVW photos. You have captured their markings beautifully depsite the breeze. A much underated species in my opinion.

Regards Kev

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Hi Kev,

thank you for your kind comment. Appreciated as always. :D

All the best, Nick.

David M

Post by David M »

Much underrated is the Green Veined White.

I think most of us (myself included) generally pay lip service to them but when conditions are right and you can get close, they take a mighty fine image.

Well done, Nick.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking Wood Whites and GVW's Nick and that record shot of the Bee Moth is mighty fine too, I've never managed to capture that species thought I've seen it a couple of times :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Hi David and Wurzel,

thank you both for your kind comments. Appreciated as always. :D

All the best, Nick.

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Both photos were taken at Chiddingfold Wood today. The first photo i worked hard for. The second photo was just a snap shot, sometimes you get lucky. :D
IMG_0295.JPG
IMG_0628.JPG

David M

Post by David M »

Well, Nick, your work was rewarded!

Superb shot of two species whose upperwings are only visible in-flight.

That's a 9.5/10 for sure!

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Nice shots Nick, your right some times it just happens when you snap :D Goldie :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”