Nick Broomer

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
bugboy

Re: Nick Broomer

Post by bugboy »

Thats a stunning Orange Tip image Nick, hugely envious. I got within a hairs breadth of getting one today a few times but he just wouldn't long enough little bugger!

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Indeed that is a cracking shot of an OT :mrgreen: . All of my one's this year have either been seen from teh car or just don't stop moving :roll:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Hi Buggy and Wurzel,

thank you for your kind comments. Appreciated as always.

The photo was taken in the garden. I was just raking the soil to get a nice even level ready for seeding, when i was evaded by three Orange-tips and got lucky. The brown background colour is the soil i had just been raking and, what will be my new lawn.

All the best, Nick.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Nick, I love your Orange Tip photo's can't wait to see one myself Goldie :D

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Beautiful Orange-tip photo, Nick :D :D

Mike

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Hi Goldie and Mike,

thank you both for your kind comments, appreciated as always.

Goldie i'm sure the Orange-tips will be flying in your area soon, they emerged about one week early where i live.

All the best, Nick.

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Fresh water Great Ramshorn Snail.
IMG_6406.JPG

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

On Sunday the 19th April even though cold and overcast i went for a short walk to check on the state of the Brown Hairstreak ovum which i hope to monitor when the larva hatch. One larva had emerged, while the other ovum about 70mm below the hatched egg was still intact, even though rather ravaged by the weather over the last seven months since it was laid. This picture shows an excellent and accurate portrait of the ovum as it looked on the 19th April, [but you will need to click on the photo].
IMG_6533.JPG
Walking on, i came across a Small Tortoiseshell low down on Common Nettle with her wings fully expanded. I thought its got to be to cold for this butterfly to be laying eggs, but she was, just over one hundred ovum were laid on the back of the Nettle leaf in this single batch, and was a first for me which shows how well this butterfly is doing in my neck of the woods. You would never have come across this a couple of years ago. Orange-tips had also been busy laying eggs, some were very fresh,
IMG_6576.JPG
some were a few days old since the ovum was laid, having already turned orange.
IMG_6557.JPG
A couple of Comma were seen, but they were buried deep down in the vegetation, also a Peacock and, when the sun made an appearance my first Speckled Wood of the year also made a showing.

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

19th April

Here are some more photos from last weekend.
IMG_6536.JPG
There is a fence between me and the subject and, couldn't get any distance from the butterfly to get a decent photo.
IMG_6819.JPG
Went back a few days later to obtain this photo, as i couldn't get a photo on the day.
IMG_6618.JPG
My first Speckled Wood of the year.
IMG_6588.JPG
I also found this roosting female Orange-tip.

I have also photographed a male Orange-tip emerging from it's pupa to complete the life cycle of photos, which are all on my blog. [bottom left hand corner of this post]

Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

Excellent life cycle photos on your blog, Nick :D
Thanks for pointing it out.

Vince

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Great photos Nick you were right about the OT Goldie :D

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Hi Vince and Goldie,

thank you for your kind comments. Appreciated as always.

All the best, Nick.

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

A walk in Chiddingfold Wood on Sat., 25th April produced very little in the way of butterflies. With a dozen or more Brimstone, a handful of Peacock, the odd Small Tortoiseshell and a few Large and Small Whites. No wood Whites were flying and, to my surprise not a single Comma. On the same walk, in slightly warmer conditions last year in March i counted 22. I have noted a lack of these butterflies locally, compared to previous years, so not looking so good for the Comma in these parts.
IMG_6829.JPG
This male Brimstone has landed on a bank late afternoon, to bask in the weakening sun, soaking up as much heat as possible [a common habit] before going to roost for the night.
IMG_6857.JPG
Brimstone ovum, one of many found on one Common Buckthorn plant.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Neat photo of the egg Nick and the Brimstone Goldie :D

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Hi Goldie,

thank you for the kind comments again, appreciated. Glad you liked the pictures.

I hope your eye is still on its way to making a full recovery.

All the best, Nick.

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Orange-tip ovum, unusually on the top edge of a garlic Mustard leaf.
IMG_7373.JPG

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

I revisited the Small Tortoiseshell ovum i found two weeks ago, and something has been helping itself to the contents of the eggs. Hopefully another visit from the hungry little critter will not be imminent.
IMG_7972.JPG

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

On a short walk yesterday produced, Peacock, Brimstone, Small Tortoiseshell, Holly Blue, Large White, Green-veined White, Speckled Wood, Orange-tip and Comma.
IMG_7879.JPG

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

A couple more photos from yesterday.
IMG_7837.JPG
Peacock sunbathing on Nettles, just imagine humans doing that. :roll:
IMG_7891.JPG
Close-up of a different Peacock.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Cheers Nick,the PBF's were worth the effort.
How are the Wood Whites doing at BB ?. I've never photographed the Spring brood.
Hope to this year.

All the best ,
TREVOR.

Return to “Personal Diaries”