Duke sites

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
bugboy

Duke sites

Post by bugboy »

Hi all,

The Duke (and his Duchess) are one of my target species to see this year, never having the privalage before and I was wondering if anyone could give some advice of the best sites within a reasonable distance to me. Using UKB listed sites as a starting point I visited Headley Heath today but looking through local literature It seems they no longer occur there, there is certainly no sign of any Primula's on the heath itself.

Other sites listed which are close enough to me are Park Wood, Dancersend, Duchie's Piece and the Whipsnade sites. I was wondering whether anyone has any recent experience of any of these sites or any others within this range not listed that they are willing to share. Obviously any sensitive details will be treated in confidence.

Many thanks in advance.

Buggy
Some addictions are good for the soul!
peterc

Re: Duke sites

Post by peterc »

Hi Buggy,

You could try Bison Hill on the Chilterns. A friend and I visited the site 4 or 5 years ago and we saw several Dukes by the footpath not far from the car park. I am unsure if it is still breeding there though.

ATB

Peter
jasonbirder

Post by jasonbirder »

Plenty of Dukes on the wing last year at Bison Hill - easily spotted on the path from the Car park
kevling

Post by kevling »

Buggy,

Like you, I will be hunting for my first ever Dukes this year. Dunstable Downs is a reliable site and will be where I am headed first. Please see attached link to a good walk.
http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/article-1356405630764/
This location is also within a stones throw of Bison Hill. I have also read reports of sightings at Ivinghoe Beacon (a couple of miles further west).

Happy Hunting

Kev
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks for the replies everyone. As luck would have it I have a close friend who lives in Hemel Hempstead so looks like a trip to the Dunstable sites is a dead cert in the coming weeks!
Some addictions are good for the soul!

Return to “General”