Grizzled Skipper

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
njs5870

Grizzled Skipper

Post by njs5870 »

Trying to add to my butterfly list this year. First up is Grizzled Skipper. Are they on the wing in North Wales yet (presume this is nearest site to North Staffs where I live) and where is the best site? Would it be possible to see Grizz Skip, Duke of B and Pearl Border Frit on the same day in a certain area?
Nick
David M

Re: Grizzled Skipper

Post by David M »

Certainly PBF and Grizzled Skipper should be obtainable in N. Wales on the same date, however I'm not sure where your nearest DoB site is (probably the Morecambe Bay limestones).
Tony Moore

Post by Tony Moore »

Whereabouts in Staffs are you? Llanymynech Rocks is a good early Grizz site. Follow the track up past the quarries, just before the woods. There is a steep rocky slope on your left where they are usually present. You may also see PBF and Dingy there.

Tony M. (Stafford).
kevling

Post by kevling »

I agree with Tony about Llanymynech Rocks. I visited there at the end of May 2013 and it was still good for Grizzled then (along with good numbers of Dingy and Green Hairstreak).
I didn't see PBF here, but they were on the wing at Eyarth Rocks, which is a reliable site for this species.

Regards Kev
njs5870

Post by njs5870 »

Thanks for the replies. Too early for Grizzled in NWales or do I try next week if conditions favourable?
Tony Moore

Post by Tony Moore »

I think that next weekend you will be 3/4 weeks early - I'd leave it until the middle of May to have your best chance..

Good luck :D

Tony M.
njs5870

Post by njs5870 »

Thanks. That sort of clashes with the Duke and Marsh Frit does it not?
David M

Post by David M »

Grizzled Skippers seem to have quite an extended flight period, so I wouldn't worry too much if you reach mid May and haven't yet seen any.

They'll still be about.
njs5870

Post by njs5870 »

Thanks everyone
LCPete

Post by LCPete »

Tony Moore wrote:Whereabouts in Staffs are you? Llanymynech Rocks is a good early Grizz site. Follow the track up past the quarries, just before the woods. There is a steep rocky slope on your left where they are usually present. You may also see PBF and Dingy there.

Tony M. (Stafford).
Many thanks for the information Tony very helpful
It's been a while since I've seen Grizzled skippers I used to go to the wrexham industrial estate site at calypso for many years until they built the prison
It will be great to see them again I'll try Llanymynech Rocks in may
Tony Moore

Post by Tony Moore »

Hi LCPete,

Another brilliant place for Grizz in the area is the Swynerton Army Base near Stone. The West Mids butterfly group usually has a visit there in early June. It's not normally open to the public, but John Bryan (johnpbryan15@aol.com) generally organises a visit. Last year, we saw more than 60 individuals in four hours! I'm sure if you mail him, he'll be happy to put you on the list.

Tony.
LCPete

Post by LCPete »

Tony Moore wrote:Hi LCPete,

Another brilliant place for Grizz in the area is the Swynerton Army Base near Stone. The West Mids butterfly group usually has a visit there in early June. It's not normally open to the public, but John Bryan (johnpbryan15@aol.com) generally organises a visit. Last year, we saw more th
an 60 individuals in four hours! I'm sure if you mail him, he'll be happy to put you on the list.

Tony.
Thanks Tony I'll message John
60 grizzled in a day is amazing I've never seen anywhere near that many before

Return to “Sites”